Drug assistance

Options
I hear all the warnings about not using drugs for weight loss because they are not healthy (ephedra, speed, etc.). OK, I know that they come with risks. They may even cost me my life.

So how is obesity any different????? Why can't I assume the risks that I want to accept? Why should someone else decide that I should not be able to have access to a drug that might cause death even if I can benefit from that drug to counter the obesity that WILL cause death.

I would like access to ephedra, but unless I manufacture my own or buy it in conjunction with other meds that I don't want (expectorants, etc), I can't buy it.

Am I the only one who finds this rather stupid? It's like when artificial sweeteners were banned some years ago, and obesity immediately skyrocketed. So people weren't getting cancer from the aspertime, they were having strokes and heart attacks instead.

Why did my body stop being my body? I'm so exasperated. I can't seem to get beyond a plateau!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I hear all the warnings about not using drugs for weight loss because they are not healthy (ephedra, speed, etc.). OK, I know that they come with risks. They may even cost me my life.

So how is obesity any different????? Why can't I assume the risks that I want to accept? Why should someone else decide that I should not be able to have access to a drug that might cause death even if I can benefit from that drug to counter the obesity that WILL cause death.

I would like access to ephedra, but unless I manufacture my own or buy it in conjunction with other meds that I don't want (expectorants, etc), I can't buy it.

Am I the only one who finds this rather stupid? It's like when artificial sweeteners were banned some years ago, and obesity immediately skyrocketed. So people weren't getting cancer from the aspertime, they were having strokes and heart attacks instead.

Why did my body stop being my body? I'm so exasperated. I can't seem to get beyond a plateau!

Ephedrine is still legal
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Much the same reason you can't buy heroin (diamorphine), cocaine or ketamine over the counter - all are actually used in mainstream medicine not just as drugs of abuse. Or the same reason you cannot buy cigarettes and alcohol at just any age or in any quantity at any time from any store.

But actually you are right, why not just let a lean 11 year old girl who dreams of being a catwalk model buy ephedra? Of course she will damage her heart and pile even more weight on as soon as she stops taking it but hey, it's her body! Might as well legalise cannabis while we are at it since her 14 year old brother wants to try that, escape from his mother's mental health problems.

BTW I am not all "drugs are bad mmkay", lordy I've taken enough in my time!! Don't open that door if you are not a very big girl indeed.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    On your profile you speak of wanting to learn self discipline to get back to the real you. We are about the same age and were raised being told to starve ourselves, take drugs to be thin, and made to feel unworthy unless we were Twiggy. If you truly are seeking self discipline - I've got news for you. It works.

I have been doing this for 9 months, after doing it over and over so many times in my life and failing - all because I wanted it NOW. For the first time, I am eating healthy every day. I am lifting heavy and pushing myself every day. Maybe I will give up tomorrow - but after 9 months - I don't think so. I have found my self discipline. Do it for yourself, by yourself for one day. And then repeat this for the rest of your life. That's all that's going to work. Every day for the rest of your life.

It's not going to happen overnight - regardless of what drugs and fads promise. It is hard work. But every day that I get under my shrinking belt - IS MINE. I own it! My success. Do it now. Don't wait anymore for the quick fix to come along that will "fix you". Use what's inside and fix yourself. Good luck on your weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Eat a salad, go for a stroll. Don't do speed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I don't know what your hang up is, just find someone to supply you with meth and avoid the pharmacy all together?

I'd like to see some stats about the part I bolded.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You're right, this is your choice....
    I have to say though coming to a health and fitness site complaining about not being able to get drugs to lose weight....

How did you think this would go? Lol.
    The reason everyone is against the drugs is that you don't need them. Also it's like a fad diet...what's going to happen when you stop taking the pills?

I'm not straight edge by any stretch but if I'm already obese with health problems, I'm going to stay away from drugs that make your (already stressed) heart explode. :)

You really don't need pills to do this so far I'm at 134 pounds lost, no pills. Ever.
    If you wanna talk about your goals and get some advice feel free to PM me. :)
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow you, either. I haven't seen any statistics about obesity skyrocketing after a ban on artificial sweetner - but I do know that artifical sweetners are relatively new (like the 60s and 70s). Before them, there wasn't an obesity epidemic - so I'm not sure if there is cause and effect there. The obesity epidemic is caused by eating too much (of anything) and not exercising.

So for your health, instead of blaming others ("I'd be thin if I could take XYZ") take responsibility for your health.

Personally, I eat no artificial sweetners and have successfully lost 30 pounds so far - so it is possible.
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my 2 cents is this:
    people come here for different reasons..but the main reason is to get fit and healthy.....
    any kind of quick fix is going to be just that.....a quick fix....yes it might solve the weight problem but
    most definetly only temporary and then ya left with another problem....being
    dependant on them because you will have to take more and more for it to work. its a vicious cycle..
    dont go there ...
    it really just messes with your head and metabolism...

just speaking from experience..in the past have tried those kinds of things and yes i lost about
    40lbs.......but then once u stop taking them.it all came back and then some.
    this time around ...lost 40+lbs the right way and learned alot more about discipline and control
    and it has stayed off and i am much healthier.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    On your profile you speak of wanting to learn self discipline to get back to the real you. We are about the same age and were raised being told to starve ourselves, take drugs to be thin, and made to feel unworthy unless we were Twiggy. If you truly are seeking self discipline - I've got news for you. It works.

I have been doing this for 9 months, after doing it over and over so many times in my life and failing - all because I wanted it NOW. For the first time, I am eating healthy every day. I am lifting heavy and pushing myself every day. Maybe I will give up tomorrow - but after 9 months - I don't think so. I have found my self discipline. Do it for yourself, by yourself for one day. And then repeat this for the rest of your life. That's all that's going to work. Every day for the rest of your life.

It's not going to happen overnight - regardless of what drugs and fads promise. It is hard work. But every day that I get under my shrinking belt - IS MINE. I own it! My success. Do it now. Don't wait anymore for the quick fix to come along that will "fix you". Use what's inside and fix yourself. Good luck on your weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Listen to this lady.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Why not? Well mostly because of the dependence on them. If you use them and they do help with weight loss, chances are that will be your "go to" when you need to lose weight. And many people who rely on drugs have a tendency to dose more than recommended.
    Personally I'm not against ephedra, but I wouldn't condone it's use for weight loss. Diet is more important than the actual drug.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Much the same reason you can't buy heroin (diamorphine), cocaine or ketamine over the counter - all are actually used in mainstream medicine not just as drugs of abuse. Or the same reason you cannot buy cigarettes and alcohol at just any age or in any quantity at any time from any store.

But actually you are right, why not just let a lean 11 year old girl who dreams of being a catwalk model buy ephedra? Of course she will damage her heart and pile even more weight on as soon as she stops taking it but hey, it's her body! Might as well legalise cannabis while we are at it since her 14 year old brother wants to try that, escape from his mother's mental health problems.

BTW I am not all "drugs are bad mmkay", lordy I've taken enough in my time!! Don't open that door if you are not a very big girl indeed.

fear mongering
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

As someone else mentioned, your profile says: "I'm not losing weight just to lose weight. For me it's a life-change. The diet is a tool that I am using to learn the art of self-discipline that will lead me to the "me" that is begging to escape from the prison that fat keeps her in."

Pills to get over a plateau don't seem to fit with those statements! :tongue: There are far better ways to break a plateau - changing exercise routine and/or eating habits and calorie intake usually do the trick. Can't see your diary, so no idea what your daily goals are or how much you're eating, but if you really want to make a change, maybe you just need to make a few adjustments in those areas.

Loads of us have hit plateaus on this journey, I sure did, but found following the info in this topic to be very helpful, and it got me though it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    Great info there, and it's a healthy, sustainable way to lose the fat and keep it off. I got through my plateau, and am near my goal weight now, but while my scale doesn't change much these days, I'm still losing fat and inches and seeing changes in my body.

Give it a shot, read through it, run your numbers through the tools - it makes sense, and it's worked for a lot of fellow MFPers.