Balance?! How the hell do I Balance?!?!

Options
I've gotten really good at eating my goal in calories and controlling my appetite for the most part. But I'm having one HELL of a time eating enough calories while keeping my macros in balance. I keep an eye on sodium, carbs, sugar, fat, and cholesterol. I was having a hard time with sodium, so I'm keeping an eye on that, and I have a serious tendency to over eat sugar and carbs. I don't worry too much about fat because if I run over on occasion, it doesn't tend to be by much... But now that I'm starting to focus on keeping my sodium in check and not going too far over on carbs (sugar is a pain because I eat a lot of fruit -- bananas in particular), I tend to be at my max in those with still 500 (give or take) left in the day...

I used to do atkins in my former life, so I know how to eat high-protien, low carb, but when I try to do that, my cholesterol skyrockets... What do ya'll do to keep things balanced?!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't. Unless you have some special medical issues don't sweat the macros.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    random comments:
    definitely don't stress about the fruit, unless you are diabetic
    you can reduce salt and cholesteral by eating fresh plant foods you prepare yourself
    there is zero cholesterol in plant foods
    try to focus on the big picture mostly, and whenever you aren't too overwhelmed you can add more refining, it is very easy to panic about all of it and give up, you're doing great so far!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason to worry about micronutrients, don't. It just overcomplicates things for most people. Focus on total cals, fats, and protein. Track carbs if you really want... but if your total cals are right, fats are right, and protein is right... carbs have no choice but to be ok.

As far as finding balance... play with different meal/food combinations. It takes some time/practice, but you'll get the feel for it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You're waaaaayyyy overcomplicating it.
    ... if your total cals are right, fats are right, and protein is right... carbs have no choice but to be ok.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Wow. That's the best response to a forum post I've ever gotten. And it makes me breathe a little easier too. Thanks folks. :)