protein shakes? Good or Bad

Options
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if whey protein shakes or any other type of weight training shakes are good or bad for weight loss?

If they are good which one should i get for myself?

Thanks

Replies

• garyt
    garyt Posts: 11
    Options
    I can't say good or bad for weight loss but I had a dietitian tell me that you can only absorb so much protein in one day, so go mild on those shakes.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    good for weight loss if you take them like you are supposed too...balance it out with your calories
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Weight loss should be done before starting hardcore strength training. You can and should do strength training, but the water retention from lifting and the extra protein from the shakes will stall weight loss. So if you do them both together, don't expect the scale to drop despite losing inches and getting stronger. In the end it's whether or not you can feel like a success with slow or no weight loss.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on protein shakes cause I just don't like the consistency. However, I sometimes like a mocha cappucino. I use the protein powder (1 scoop) in my oatmeal in the morning. On my food plan, for women, we are supposed to have 15 to 30 grams of protein at every meal. So I add in a scoop of the protein powder to ensure this. The mocha Capp is 1 scoop of powder in the blender with 1 cup of cold coffee, 1/2 cup of crushed ice and 2 splenda's. I'll be indulging more in this for breakfast once it gets warmer. Will it ever get warmer? LOL
    Christine
  • luvincaligrl
    luvincaligrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to watch the Carb numbers with those. I found that Body Fortress makes a low carb one that only has 270 calories for the serving. 56 grams protien.