Does Biotin really work?

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a magical pill you can take to speed up your metabolism, along with raspberry keytones, green tea and green coffee beans.

Fail.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have just about gotten through my first bottle. Have noticed a slight change in my hair (thinning because of Thyroid & hormone issues). Hoping it helps it to just keep growing, eventhough it is still coming out, just not as much as before. I wasnt taking enough when I started (only 2500 mg). Now I am taking the recommended 5000 mg by my Dermatologist...we'll see how that works! :-)

5000mg by your Derm...hmmm so it could be the amount that some are taking
  • ajusteen21
    ajusteen21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My nails are much stronger!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a magical pill you can take to speed up your metabolism, along with raspberry keytones, green tea and green coffee beans.

She's talking about hair growth, not weight loss?
  • christinapreston75
    Options
    yes it works, you have to give a couple weeks befor you really see results but after awhile its amazing. it worked great for me, i loved it and now that i was cleared to go back to my vietamins i've restarted and cant wait to have my healthy beautiful and long hair and nails again. if anything i was and am also taking prenatals (and no i'm not pregnant, its just a multi-vietamin that has simaler benifits of biotine)
    hope this helps :)
  • anahahn
    Options
    I noticed that Biotin helped with my hair. It wasnt a HUGE difference, but I would say it helped!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I take it but I'm not sure it works. I do notice I lose less hair now that I stopped taking allergy medicine with Loratidine and whatever the secondary ingredient in Primatine Mist is.

If you are snotty year round like I am, try just taking Sudafed, because losing hair sucks!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Works for me, although I do have to shave my legs more often :grumble:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There's biotin in my daily multivitamin that I take but I've only been on it for about 5mo. My nails have looked good since I quit smoking 3yrs ago but I think the biotin has made them grow faster. I have to clip my nails more often now and they look good. My hair grows pretty fast I have to touch-up my dye job every 6 weeks and trim it every 6 weeks. My hair is shinier which its amazing. I've always had drabby-looking hair and I think the biotin has really helped!
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Seen a few posts floating around today about hair growth and hair falling out.

From your personal experience did you see any noticable difference taking a biotin supplement? I've taken it before but I wasnt consistent and probably didnt give it enough time.

Curious to know if you got results or expensive pee?

It absolutely does work!! My dermatologist had me take it because I was having hair loss due to my thyroid condition. This made my existing hair grow extensively and I saw new growth also. I also noticed my nails got stronger and longer. Research the dosages because I needed a high dose because of hair loss but just for growth it will be lower. Also, there is a maximum dose where anything more will not benefit you any more.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    yes, it definitely works! I've been taking it for about a year now and my nails look amazing! Before biotin I could never get them to grow past my fingertips without breaking, and now I actually cut them down pretty frequently, which is amazing to me. Haven't really noticed a difference with my hair and it did take about 4-5 months of taking it religiously before I noticed a difference in my nails, though.

What brand do you buy? I don't have trouble with my hair, but I've had horribly brittle, weak nails my whole life :frown:

I buy different brands each time (whatever's on sale or whatever I have a coupon for!), but I always buy the little liqui-gels....never the hard tablets.
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Where do you get it? GNC or just any old drugstore?
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I took it to stop my hair from falling out, and it sure helped with that. When I started, I was taking a multivitamin pill, a biotin pill, and an iron supplement. Now, I take the biotin and the multivitamin daily, and the iron every 3 days.

I wouldn't say my hair has gone back to the thickness it used to be, but I can definitely say that it has stopped falling out (it used to be all over the house, everywhere everywhere everywhere) and that it feels much healthier.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use it have noticed that my hair loss has almost totally stopped and my hairdresser says she can see some new growth. I may miss a dose of vitamins, but never my Biotin. There's also a product out there called "hair, skin and nails" that I've been told is really good. If one doesn't work, you can always try the other.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Biotin 5000 mcg. One capsule per day. $6@Wally World or Dollar General. It's been approx 4 months and while my nails have always been strong and naturally long my hair has not. Very brittle and thinning. I now see actual volume and less breakage and it shines.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I use the hair, skin, and nails! I really like it!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for about three weeks, it forms part of a hair and nail tablet I've been taking.... I've noticed a slight difference so far.

My doctor also told me that eating more protein in general will stimulate cell repair.
  • racheljonel
    Options
    yes, it definitely works! I've been taking it for about a year now and my nails look amazing! Before biotin I could never get them to grow past my fingertips without breaking, and now I actually cut them down pretty frequently, which is amazing to me. Haven't really noticed a difference with my hair and it did take about 4-5 months of taking it religiously before I noticed a difference in my nails, though.

I have the same problem, they get about right over the fingertip and then get bent/broken/etc because my nails are really thin. I was taking this for a while but I stopped because it'd been 2 months and nothing was happening. I'll have to start taking it again and be patient for the first 4-5 months now!

it definitely takes awhile to see results, but it's so worth it. My nails started growing like crazy after the first 4-5 months, but it's just been in the past 2-3 months that I've seen a difference in how strong they are!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Fair warning though, don't take more than the dosage on the bottle hoping to get quicker results unless you really enjoy painful visits to the toilet!

Gross, but I figured someone might benefit from my mistake!
  • racheljonel
    Options
    Where do you get it? GNC or just any old drugstore?

Any drugstore! I usually buy mine at Walgreens because they have buy one get one free offers on their vitamins a lot.