Carbs - why so unsatisfying??

Why is it that we crave carbs so much, and yet they are ultimately unsatisfying?? By this I mean, I really hanker for the sweets and the breads and the chips, but once I start eating them, there is no "Wow. I've had enough." Instead I want to eat and eat until I'm in a stupor. It's the old potato chip "you can't each just one" syndrome multiplied. On the other hand, I don't believe I've ever wanted to gorge on vegetables! Maybe a little on some really good meat. Are there any good scientific studies on this?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Sounds like a sugar addiction
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Portion out your snacks and log your meals beforehand. Don't grab the whole bag of chips, just portion some out. I'm not big into sweets, but I can definitely eat my weight in buttered garlic bread. Mm, bread...
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    Carbs are addictive, corn syrup carbs add a whole new level to that addiction.

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/cadfnd.html
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    They have a lot of calories and your body processes those calories very quickly. Fat and protein, while having more calories for a similar sized serving, will keep you full and satisified for hours.

I find that when I limit carbs (avoid breads, cereals, rice, corn) that I have better energy, don't get sleepy mid-day and have better workouts.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    What are you referring to here? Many vegetables are "carbs" as is a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal that keeps me full for hours. Or the seeded whole grain bread I had this morning along with one egg which has kept me full for 4 hours now.

I have a feeling you are talking about sugary or boxed/packaged junky stuff. All carbs are not treated equal.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Those are the wrong kind of carbs. My diet is plant-based and therefore mostly carbs. I have oatmeal in the morning with fruit and I am not hungry for hours, some rice, beans, and veggies at lunch and usually not hungry till dinner.