Overnight Oats?

Options
I tried making some overnight oats last night and they failed! I think there was too much milk because they were still really watery this morning. I used 3/4 cup oats, 3/4 cup 2% milk, and 3/4 cup greek yogurt which I found suggested on a blog site somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes that they use? Thanks for the help, I love the idea of them...

Replies

• vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What kind of oats did you use? I have no idea how to make it with quick or instant oats.

Here's what I make for my family on weekends:

1 c Steel cut oats
    4c almond milk/water mix

(can use applesauce, etc. for some of the liquid). Boil liquid, add oats. Boil for 3 minutes, turn off, cover immediately and set overnight. I add flavors and flourishes in the morning before microwaving it. That way everyone can flavor it the way they like.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    do 2/3 oats 6oz yogurt and 1/4 milk. I don't know what 6 oz equals the container I use has a line.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I eat them every day
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do 1/4 cup oats, 1.5 tsp chia seeds, 1/3-1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp greek yogurt.

If not using chia, just decrease milk a little bit.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    do 2/3 oats 6oz yogurt and 1/4 milk. I don't know what 6 oz equals the container I use has a line.

6 oz is 3/4 cup
  • MRSCHAZZY
    MRSCHAZZY Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i just tried it again this week! my first was a fail also b/c i used quick oats. i use old fashioned now. my base is 1/4c ea oats, almond milk, and yogurt. SO GOOD!!! last night i added a few teaspoons of homemade applebutter and cinnamon.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I used the old fashioned rolled oats. Yeah I'm guessing I way over estimated the milk. Planning on trying again tonight!
  • Bio_Girl
    Options
    Here's the recipe I use, and I find it works quite well. It's also very quick and easy, and you can modify the flavours to your own liking.

For the overnight oats:

1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
    1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
    2/3 cup milk
    1 tablespoon chia seeds

Flavour add-ins:

Variation #1 – Pumpkin Peanut Butter

½ cup pumpkin puree (not the spiced kind for pies!)
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Variation #2 – Strawberry Banana

2 to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam
    1 small banana, mashed

Variation #3 - Fresh/frozen berries

Instructions:

Combine the oats, Greek yogurt, milk, and chia seeds in a bowl or jar (mason jars work well!), cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, stir in the desired add-ins and enjoy (choose from one of the add-in combinations shown or come up with your own custom flavors!).
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do 1/4 cup oats, 1.5 tsp chia seeds, 1/3-1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp greek yogurt.

If not using chia, just decrease milk a little bit.

I agree. The chia seeds "gel up" the milk. My own preference is:
    40 g large flake oats (I've used quick oats before and the consistency comes out similarly, but the quick oats basically dissolve so they have a smoother texture. Either will work)
    .3 cups milk
    50 g 2% Greek yogurt
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    Then add in fruit and PB or whatever else. Keep playing around with it.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    bump for a try later
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    6oz is 3/4 of a cup.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I haven't done them in awhile, but I don't like the yogurt in mine. I use 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, and 1 tbs of chia seeds for the base.
    I add a few cooked apples and cinnamon, pumpkin, strawberry preserves, or peaches with nutmeg as add ins.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't like the yogurt in mine, either.

I keep it simple and just do 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1/2 cup almond milk. The longer I leave it in the fridge, the less soupy it is.

And I don't know if we're all talking about the same thing, but I eat mine cold, straight from the fridge.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just started making overnight oats for my hubby and I during the work week. Ate my second batch this morning. The recipe was Apple-Cinnamon.

However, I really can not stomach it cold (yet) So I heat it up in the microwave quickly and it turns out great.

I will say the plain greek yogurt does give it a tart/tangy taste, so a healthy sweetener is a must since I do not want to elimate the yogurt completely. The plain greek yogurt is what gives the recipe the higher protein count.

Found on http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Great website!

Ingredients

•1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
    •1/3 cup skim milk
    •1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used plain)
    •1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
    •1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    •1 teaspoon honey, optional (or substitute any preferred sweetener) (I use homemade honey)
    •1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar

Directions

In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add applesauce and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.

Website Nutritional Info: 210 calories, 4g fat, 48g carbs, 8g fiber, 11g protein; Weight Watchers PtsPlus: 7

MFP recipe builder: 226 cals, 4g fat, 38g, carbs, 13g protein
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump. this all sounds so good!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I just started making overnight oats for my hubby and I during the work week. Ate my second batch this morning. The recipe was Apple-Cinnamon.

However, I really can not stomach it cold (yet) So I heat it up in the microwave quickly and it turns out great.

I will say the plain greek yogurt does give it a tart/tangy taste, so a healthy sweetener is a must since I do not want to elimate the yogurt completely. The plain greek yogurt is what gives the recipe the higher protein count.

Found on http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Great website!

Ingredients

•1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
    •1/3 cup skim milk
    •1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used plain)
    •1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
    •1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    •1 teaspoon honey, optional (or substitute any preferred sweetener) (I use homemade honey)
    •1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar

Directions

In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add applesauce and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.

Website Nutritional Info: 210 calories, 4g fat, 48g carbs, 8g fiber, 11g protein; Weight Watchers PtsPlus: 7

MFP recipe builder: 226 cals, 4g fat, 38g, carbs, 13g protein

mmm...this one sounds yummy. I have no idea where you find Chia seeds though and those seem to be a pretty important part of the process!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

mmm...this one sounds yummy. I have no idea where you find Chia seeds though and those seem to be a pretty important part of the process!

I get mine at the grocery store. By the health food stuff. This is the kind I have: http://www.dole.com/nutritionplus/products/seeds.html

There's a where to find link there too.

The bulk bins might have them too.