Decreased Water Intake

Options
The frist 8 weeks I started on MFP it was very easy to drink at least 12 8oz glasses of water and on some days 15. I wanted it, I craved it, I drank it like it was going out of style. However, in the past 2 weeks I've found I'm not as thirsty and push myself to drink 12. Is this normal or a phase? Were the 8 weeks what my body needed to flush my system (so to speak) of all the soda I'd been drinking all these years? More curious than concerned at this point.

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I just found your post to see if anyone else had this. I lost 50lbs and was drinking 12-14 glasses today. now? I struggle to get down my full 9 glasses during work and usually am around 10 now. I'm wondering if it has something to do with me losing weight and now my body doesn't sweat as much. But, with my lower sodium levels, I would think i wouldn't retain as much either? Very much a mystery. Mine was a lot later than your case, but I had the same issue...

*bump*
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Several things.

When you have a lot of fat, you need more water to keep you cool due the the extra insulation, plus you burn hotter because you have so much weight that you are doing a lot of extra work carrying the weight.

You retain more water in fat.

When you loose weight, your liver and kidneys need more water to flush the byproducts.

If your diet is crappy, you need more water to keep digestion going.

You are both still drinking lots, so keep doing what you are doing and listen to your body.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Several things.

When you have a lot of fat, you need more water to keep you cool due the the extra insulation, plus you burn hotter because you have so much weight that you are doing a lot of extra work carrying the weight.

You retain more water in fat.

When you loose weight, your liver and kidneys need more water to flush the byproducts.

If your diet is crappy, you need more water to keep digestion going.

You are both still drinking lots, so keep doing what you are doing and listen to your body.

Thanks for the info!! :-)