Are sugar free items that bad for you?

Options
I keep hearing that sugar free products are harmful. Will they hurt your progress as far as losing weight & being in shape? I heard that they can cause bloating sometimes. The main sugar free thing I eat is IHOP Sugar Free pancake syrup on my oatmeal every single morning. I eat only a tablespoon of it, but I don't want it to cause me problems in the long run. I don't care for Stevia in my oatmeal & I wouldn't mind using honey, but adding a tablespoon of honey will add an extra 60 calories to my breakfast, while the sugar free syrup adds less than 10. And doesn't your body process honey the same way it would any sugar anyway? Opinions anyone?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar

Sugarfree is usually gross
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Some people just find that the sugar-free stuff may cause digestive and gas issues, so if you aren't having any of those and it helps you, then I say go for it. You aren't eating a ton of it. I read an article a while back about the artificial sweetener in diet soda being bad for you, but then when I read the article, you had to drink about 12 diet sodas a day for 20+ years to see those bad results. Just remember, anything can be a bad thing if you have too much of it. I try to switch it up every now and then when I can to get different flavors, sometimes I use sugar-free jelly, sometimes I use honey, sometimes I just use a packet of stevia and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Sugar is sugar

The syrup I use is pretty good actually.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Some people just find that the sugar-free stuff may cause digestive and gas issues, so if you aren't having any of those and it helps you, then I say go for it. You aren't eating a ton of it. I read an article a while back about the artificial sweetener in diet soda being bad for you, but then when I read the article, you had to drink about 12 diet sodas a day for 20+ years to see those bad results. Just remember, anything can be a bad thing if you have too much of it. I try to switch it up every now and then when I can to get different flavors, sometimes I use sugar-free jelly, sometimes I use honey, sometimes I just use a packet of stevia and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Ok, gotcha.
  • Jessicalg1981
    Jessicalg1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I buy sugar free more often than fat free because it's usually less calories. I think the negative things that you hear about it depend on what they use in place of sugar. The sweetener that is in diet soda that people think is bad is aspartame. I always check the ingredients when buying sugar free for that and avoid it if I can but like a PP said it's not bad in moderation. If you're looking for a good diet soda you can get Diet RC, they use sucralose which is what is in splenda. I always figure if it's ok when you're pregnant it must not be too bad. good luck!
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    I buy sugar free more often than fat free because it's usually less calories. I think the negative things that you hear about it depend on what they use in place of sugar. The sweetener that is in diet soda that people think is bad is aspartame. I always check the ingredients when buying sugar free for that and avoid it if I can but like a PP said it's not bad in moderation. If you're looking for a good diet soda you can get Diet RC, they use sucralose which is what is in splenda. I always figure if it's ok when you're pregnant it must not be too bad. good luck!

Thanks, I read over the ingredients & it doesn't contain any aspartame.
  • trixietime
    Options
    The only reason I don't eat anything with faux sugar is because of the chemicals in it. I'm trying to eat as natural as possible, and am one of those people that dislikes that chemical taste from sweeteners. On my oatmeal I put blueberries, a dash of vanilla extract powder, and cinnamon. I do not miss the sugar at all (it's like having a blueberry/oat muffin fro breakfast.) I usually buy a big bag of frozen blueberries, and just pour 1/4 or 1/3 cup into something and douse in hot water. Super quick, and it sweetens everything much better than any sugar. I put them on any cereal I have, as I don't eat any sugared cereals.

I understand your not wanting to add calories. If that one thing is the only artificial sweetener you use, then I'm sure it's fine. The best thing would be to try and find ways to incorporate natural sweeteners, like fruit, into your routine little by little, as it will be healthier in the long run.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pudding cups mixed with fresh berries has totally helped me to lose weight by not going off the deep end and binging on real sweets.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    Sugar free pudding cups mixed with fresh berries has totally helped me to lose weight by not going off the deep end and binging on real sweets.

Yes, that's exactly;y how I feel. I need some sweetness in my life & it's better than pouring on sugar or regular syrup.
  • Jrabbit321
    Options
    The only reason I don't eat anything with faux sugar is because of the chemicals in it. I'm trying to eat as natural as possible, and am one of those people that dislikes that chemical taste from sweeteners. On my oatmeal I put blueberries, a dash of vanilla extract powder, and cinnamon. I do not miss the sugar at all (it's like having a blueberry/oat muffin fro breakfast.) I usually buy a big bag of frozen blueberries, and just pour 1/4 or 1/3 cup into something and douse in hot water. Super quick, and it sweetens everything much better than any sugar. I put them on any cereal I have, as I don't eat any sugared cereals.

I understand your not wanting to add calories. If that one thing is the only artificial sweetener you use, then I'm sure it's fine. The best thing would be to try and find ways to incorporate natural sweeteners, like fruit, into your routine little by little, as it will be healthier in the long run.

Adding in fresh fruit is a great option, thank you :smile:
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I depends on if tis really sugar free or if they use a substitue and depends on what they use. splenda and products like that dont break down in ur body and go into the waist supply then into the ground (i didnt belive it till i goggled and read on it) but i use stevia that is a palnt. its not that bad for sugar free stuff but its natural and does brak down in ur system
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar

The syrup I use is pretty good actually.

^ the syrup is good. If you someone who is completely addicted to sugar then yes, I imagine sugar-free is gross...after time you adjust and it tastes pretty good!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that sugar free products are harmful. Will they hurt your progress as far as losing weight & being in shape? I heard that they can cause bloating sometimes. The main sugar free thing I eat is IHOP Sugar Free pancake syrup on my oatmeal every single morning. I eat only a tablespoon of it, but I don't want it to cause me problems in the long run. I don't care for Stevia in my oatmeal & I wouldn't mind using honey, but adding a tablespoon of honey will add an extra 60 calories to my breakfast, while the sugar free syrup adds less than 10. And doesn't your body process honey the same way it would any sugar anyway? Opinions anyone?

Switch from honey and chemicals to dried and fresh fruit for sweetening your porridge and pancakes.