Too much Protein?

Options
Is it possible to eat too much protein if everything else is in line? Thoughts....

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    No
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you eat waaay too much protein your kidneys have to do a lot of work to convert it to glucose (a form of sugar) so your body can use it for energy. This "supposedly" is bad for your kidneys. With that said I eat over 300g of protein a day and myfitnesspal claims my goal should be 90g and I'm still alive. ;)

EDIT: I think it might actually be liver and not kidneys....my bad
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is only a problem if you aren't eating enough carbs. 30% is a good goal to shoot for and honestly, I find it a challenge.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you eat waaay too much protein your kidneys have to do a lot of work to convert it to glucose (a form of sugar) so your body can use it for energy. This "supposedly" is bad for your kidneys. With that said I eat over 300g of protein a day and myfitnesspal claims my goal should be 90g and I'm still alive. ;)

EDIT: I think it might actually be liver and not kidneys....my bad

Liver and kidney's. You are correct.

Yes. It's possible to eat too much.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    No

You should research before posting incorrect things to people who want to know how the human body works.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible... but it's such a high number/amount that it's not worth worrying about for most people
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is mainly only a bad idea if you're not active enough to use it all. First protein restores our amino acid stocks to rebuild and repair muscles. Then the excess is stored as glycogen in the liver or converted to fat. So, if you eat 300 grams a day and only get up to pee...it's probably a bad thing. But if you're relatively active I think you're good to go. I eat 200 g a day on a regular and don't seem to have any problems.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is only a problem if you aren't eating enough carbs. 30% is a good goal to shoot for and honestly, I find it a challenge.

Or fat. You can eat fat and protein or protein and carbs, but don't cut out both carbs and fat if you are high protein. Also some fat is required no matter what.

Read up on rabbit starvation. But even then other stressors might be required to actually kill you.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options

More info on this? I've heard that if you are on a ketogenic diet, you MUST keep your fats up, but I haven't heard about needing to keep carbs up.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    A solid hard intake of protein daily is good for you.
  • Findekano
    Options

Or fat. You can eat fat and protein or protein and carbs, but don't cut out both carbs and fat if you are high protein.

Read up on rabbit starvation. But even then other stressors might be required to actually kill you.

Ah, nevermind, you answered my question for me!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    No

You should research before posting incorrect things to people who want to know how the human body works.

How was I wrong?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Or fat. You can eat fat and protein or protein and carbs, but don't cut out both carbs and fat if you are high protein.

I did edit, though. You do need some fat in your diet no matter what. Don't go zero fat!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Where I live, weed walnut trees are extremely abundant. We've figured out, it's in case of an apocalypse and all we can eat is rabbits. And Walnuts, of course!
  • Juggernoobs
    Options
    Yes, most certainly. Your kidneys do a LOT of work. You will run the risk of getting kidney stones. You can minimise this risk by also increasing water intake and keep a balanced diet with the correct about of carbs. I take 120g of protein a day however I do a lot of phys therefore my body needs it and I must drink 3-4 pints of water a day to keep body flush.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    No

Is it possible? Probably so.

Is the OP ever going to do it? Most likely never. So "No" isn't an incorrect statement.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    If we are working within the MFP calorie recommendations, 30% of these from protein is a good number.
    I balance 30% protein, 40% carb and 30% fat
    You must decide these numbers for yourself based on your own goals.
    If you are uncertain, just stick with the dfault MFP settings.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    Is it possible to eat too much protein if everything else is in line? Thoughts....

Feel free to add me too!

Maddie

Yes, you can have too much, but I am guessing it is going to be pretty unlikely that you are going to hit that level... You should definitely be eating more protein than MFP recommends as it is... I personally shoot for about a 0.9-1.3 grams per pound of LBM range. The biggest problem with "over consumption" of protein is just that the body has a hard time digesting and breaking down large amounts of it at a time. I have heard many different ranges on this, but in the end if you are working hard then your body will use it or lose it... so all in all, I wouldn't worry about too much, just worry about getting enough.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    On any diet where your total caloric intake is moderate 2-3kcals you are in no danger of eating protein to excess so that it could do damage. Yes, it wont help livers or kidneys that have been diminished by illness or injury ,to consume a lot of protein; but it wont initiate damage to them. The best reason not to pig out on protein is just that its relatively expensive...

Yes, lots of bodybuilders that eat crazy proteing (5-600 grams a day) can do themselves damage, IF they are taking steroids and hormones that impact their liver and kidney functions....

The above is my understanding based on listening to fitness youtubers such as Ian Mcarthy, Jason Blaha etc...

YMMV.
  • Findekano
    Options

I did edit, though. You do need some fat in your diet no matter what. Don't go zero fat!

Oh, yes! I think if I cut out all fat (or even went down to the mfp default recommendation), I'd be miserable. I don't know how people do it.