Half Marathon Training and Shin Splints

Options
Hi Everyone,

As a goal to get more fit and lose weight as an added benefit, I made a new years resolution to run a half marathon in August. My training was coming along fantastically until about 2 weeks ago. I recorded my longest run yet at 6.05 miles which was really exciting for me since I've never gone that far in my life. Unfortunately, starting the next day I started to get shin splints. I didn't want to risk losing ground on the progress I had made in my training so I cut my running down to 2-3 miles a day and ran through the pain of the shin splints. Yesterday it got so bad though that I couldn't even walk after I was done with 2.5 miles. I found today I could still manage to run a mile without getting shin splints. I looked online for how to deal with this problem and everywhere has said to rest for WEEKS! I've come so far in my training I'm scared to stop running for even a week for fear that my training will suffer. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this problem so that I can get back to running longer distances again?

Replies

• SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to take a break to let them heal! If you continue to run they will only get worse and you won't be able to run period for a while. August is still a ways away....so give it a week off to start and see how they feel after that and go from there. You still have plenty of time to train and you won't lose too much from your progress if you only rest a week or two.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice for you unfortunately, but I too have suffered from shin splints in the past. When I ran track in high school, I did have to sit out and rest for several of the meets and my trainer would ice my shins. Speaking from experience, I would say it is a good idea to rest the legs from strenuous running for a while (not sure how of an extended time, however). You could do other training such as upper body workouts in the meantime, but I know it's not the same and especially whilst in the midst of the extensive training you want to accomplish for your goal. The last thing you want to do is tear or hurt your leg any more, so sometimes sitting back and recuperating is the best you can do. Good luck!
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    HAVE YOU TRIED COMPRESSION SOCKS, THEY GO UP TO YOUR KNEES AND COME IN ALL KINDS OF KOOL COLORS. YOU WEAR THEM WHILE YOU RUN. ALSO TAKE IBPROPHEN AND ICE YOUR SHINS AFTER YOU RUN TO HELP YOU HEAL AND DONT GIVE UP!!!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the boards but I am also training for a half marathon (next month). When I first started my training I hit the running too hard at the beginning (not enough rest between workouts, etc.) and ended up with shin splints and an injured knee. The only way I could find to stay on track with training and rest my shins and knee was to do a lot of my workouts on the elliptical. I know it isn't the same as running BUT it allows you to build up endurance, speed, etc. without worsening your injury. I was able to run 10 miles this past weekend (yay for double digits!) and I still do several days on the elliptical every week to prevent a re-ocurrence of the injuries. Just my $.02 :-) Good luck to you!
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Make sure you re stretching well. calves, hammies and quads. also stretch the front of your legs. its kind of hard to do but it helped me a lot. ice after running and take either Tylenol or ibuprofen for any aching or discomfort. I began walking in December and am now training for a 5K. i haven't walked for fitness or ran for anything in over 18 years. Good Luck.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Shin splints, while I agree it's a factor of too much running too soon for your body, but can also be your shoes. If your shoes are not new (or fairly new) it could be that you need to get new shoes, or inserts if your arches aren't pronated correctly (as is my case). When I had shin splints I fought through them for 3 weeks to complete my military training, and then was put on profile while prevented me from running for 3 months because they got so bad. Best thing is to give your shins rest for a couple weeks, working out some other part of your body in the interim, and trying again later. A few weeks off now to let them rest/heal is better than months later by ignoring it (9 months no running in my case when I got inflammed cartiledge in my knee from too much running).

It's going to be hard, especially if you feel great, but your body is crying "uncle" so rest up, fear not, and you'll be back at it in no time! Good luck!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints from running and started wearing double socks (or just one really thick pair). It seemed to help since I've never gotten them since.
  • hockey10
    hockey10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I realize that you may not want the training to cease even for a week. However, you don't want to hurt yourself more and be out for longer. What I suggest is doing another lower impact training for the week. How about an hour of hard swimming laps or focus on some hard sessions of core exercises that will help your running anyway.

Just a thought. I have had many shin splints before and honestly, time heals. However, you don't have to "rest" your whole body through that time - there are other things to do that will benefit your running and allow you to heal.

Good luck with the half marathon! :)
  • bgsball05
    Options
    I guess right now the best thing to do is to take a week off and try out other forms of cardio in the meantime. The eliptical sounds like a great idea! I'd definitely rather take a little bit of time off now as opposed to months in the future especially when the race isn't until August. It's just a little disheartening since I was getting really excited about my progress. Thank you all for your advice!
  • ncphat
    ncphat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half marathon as well and got shin splits. It is possible that it your shoes are not flexible enough. I went to a running store and had them to check the way I run and they recommended the shoe that would best work for me. I ran on the treadmill for about 3 mins. All running shoes are not made equal. After I got the proper shoes I did not have any more trouble with shin splits.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If what you have is shin splints and nothing more serious, I have a great exercise that will clear it up very quickly!! I ran two half marathons last year and a full marathon this year and am training for another half this May.

Shin splints are the result of an imbalance in muscle strength in the calves versus the shins. Here is what I did to get rid of it quickly and it has not returned! Each day, several times a day (3-4) sit on the couch or in a chair with the majority of your leg supported (this is why the couch is easiest) and flex your feet. Hold your feet in the flexed position for 2 minutes. Release the flex in your feet after two minutes. Do this several times a day and in just a few short days the pain will be gone. You can always repeat it if needed.

Of course, if the pain does not go away you could be experiencing something more severe that is mimicking shin splints (like a stress fracture in the shin). This can occur more easily than one might think.

The advice you have been given about rest and proper shoes is also very important. Try this exercise and let us know how it goes! Good luck! When is your race?
  • bgsball05
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I want to run the lifeline of ohio dash for donation. They haven't posted the date for this year yet, but last year was in August so I'm assuming it will be sometime in August again this year.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Great! If your race is in August, you have plenty of time to rest, slowly build the mileage and make sure you don't get injured any further. Many half marathon training programs are only 3 months...so you are way ahead of the game!