Any other ballroom dancers on MFP?

Options
sdirks
sdirks Posts: 223 Member
Just curious if there's anyone else here who does ballroom dancing--socially or competitively?

I take classes in Bachata, Salsa, Argentine Tango and Milonga. I've performed Tango at a few venues here in NYC, and plan to host a Milonga for my wedding reception next year. I'm always surprised and saddened that so few people (especially Americans, unfortunately) don't know how to dance....

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    As a young person I always wanted to lean but unfortunately never had the opportunity! I love watching... :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I want to learn so, so, so bad. I have this little movie playing in my head of going to a club, watching people bumping and grinding, and just being like, "No, this is how its done." And stealing the stage :laugh:
    Silly I know!

I'm taking tango classes this summer at one of the local parks, so that's a start!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh, you will fall in love with tango! There are so many different variations and methods, you'll never be bored. I'm lucky--I live in New York, so there are two or three different Milongas every night of the week!

My advice is to find an instructor you really "click" with, someone whose style feels very natural, who explains the steps in a way that makes sense to you, and hopefully someone you find funny and engaging, too! I find that people usually end up having 2 instructors: one of your own gender who will teach you "moves" and new steps, and one of the opposite gender with whom you can dance, practice, and get feedback on your technique and execution. It's also a good idea to make friends with other people in your classes and then all go out dancing together. This way, you know there will be other dancers at your level and who know many of the same steps as you.

Let me know how the classes go!