Midnight snacker

I did ok on my first day of my new eating plan until the middle of the night. When I get up to use the bathroom I have an incredable urge to put something sweet in my mouth. Please help. How can I control this?

Replies

• Drink less water before bed so you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee.....thus....no craving for sweets.
  • Yeah, no that won't work.....but thanks.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    do you like peppermints? I keep a bag full next to my bed because I had the same problem. 1 is less than 5 cals and it cures my sweet tooth. or keep some low cal yogurt in the fridge and go for that instead of the candy. but if you have enough cals for a snack size candy in the middle of the night then don't deny yourself. That is one for sure way to fail. I have learned to make the candy and other 'bad' things work for me. I'm sure you can learn to make it work for you as well
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Do you live in a house or a flat? I live in a house and, because I am a bit paranoid about security, I lock all my downstairs rooms and then alarm the downstairs of the house........this would certainly stop me from going downstairs as it would trigger the alarm and I would be worried about waking others up and have them ask me what I was doing! I appreciate that this is a bit of a palava though so could you maybe at least lock your kitchen door as a way of telling your brain that the kitchen is now out of bounds until morning, then maybe cut back on your water to lessen your chance of getting up in the night to pee?
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Brush your teeth again? The minty freshness may help you stop feeling the need for sugar?
  • sa11yjane
    Just a thought- what about before you sit on the loo you take a swig of mouthwash which you spit out when washing your hands. The minty taste may prevent you from wanting to spoil your clean mouth with food.
  • scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    I have actually put on my tracking log "Snacks After 9:00 P.M. because that is almost ALWAYS when I get out of control. I have been completely out of control until the last two days, and last night was the FIRST time in a long time that I have contained myself on eating after 9:00 pm. When it works for me, it works because I DO drink a lot of water (keeps me / my stupid stomach thinking I am full :) and because I ate enough during the day, particularly first thing in the morning. Even though we don't have the same exact problem - I'm going to send you a "friend" request.
  • I second the peppermints idea. Personally I use Halls cough drops, either the strawberry or cherry that have the extra vitaman C. They taste sweet, but also give just enough of the menthol flavor so you don't want to put anything else in you mouth. I'd like to think the extra vitamin C helps keep me illness free during the flu season too :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Sometimes a craving for sweets isn't really a craving :)

http://www.ehow.com/info_8520419_causes-sweet-cravings-night.html

This link can help you find out if these are reasons otherwise I would just keep fighting the cravings, sometimes it's just a test of will power and habit.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I set my food log to time blocks instead of meals. I eat when I am hungry and strictly speaking avoid eating when I am not...just because someone somewhere says I should. If I am hungry at 9 pm or 11 pm, then that is when I eat. If I still have alot of calories left I eat nuts or nut butter or even a square of dark chocolate. Sometimes I eat carrots, or an apple, or strawberries. Sometimes it is cauliflower. I just fit it into the rest of my day.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    What every you eat after supper count as part of your breackfast the next day.
    You "cheat" at night but you pay it back in the morning by going light on breakfast and lunch.
    This will keep you in the calorie goal even if you have something in the middle of the night.
    Do not think that you have to start countingin the morning.
  • Thank you very much, excellent idea.
  • Yep, great idea. Thank you.
  • Thank you.
  • Thank you, I will try this.
  • Excellent idea.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    When I get up to use the bathroom I have an incredable urge to put something sweet in my mouth.
    I hear ya!
  • Thanks for the idea, I will try that!:wink:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    When you get up to pee, gargle with mouthwash or brush your teeth while you're in there. Sounds crazy, but it really helps fight the cravings.
  • sa11yjane
    So, did you try any of the suggestions and have they worked?!