HIIT HELP!

Options
Ok. So my hubby and I have started the Stronglifts program (we go again tonight for our second time, so excited!) and I think we are also going to start some high intensity interval training 2-3 days on the off days of our lifting to really kick it into gear.

Thoughts? Anyone else doing HIIT with a weight program? What are your favorite HIIT exercises? I haven't ran in a really long time, do you think this will be a big problem if it's only in short bursts? Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:

P.S. Sorry if I can't respond right away as I'm at work

Replies

• samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love HITT! I don't follow any type of weight program but I'm trying to do HIIT about 2-3 times a week. You can start off slow and do some walking/jogging HIIT activities then gradually move up to walking/sprinting or jogging/sprinting.

Here are 2 HITT workouts that I like:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Treadmill-Workout-30-Minute-Pyramid-Intervals-14513772
    http://fitfabcities.fitsugar.com/Tabata-Cardio-Workout-Video-High-Intensity-Interval-Training-HIIT-21172216

Push through the tough parts. You can do it :)
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I seem to Injure myself when doing running HIIT. I do inclines on treadmill walking fast instead. I alternate 1 minute flat and one minute at highest incline. I do that for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been doing HIIT 2-3 times a week while lifting since May.
    If you're not a big fan of running, you can always do it on an elliptical. I go back and forth between the treadmill and elliptical- I personally like running better, but I feel the elliptical challenges me more. Probably because I hate the thing, but anywho...Go slow for a few minutes as warm-up, then up the speed to as fast as you can go for a minute, back down for a minute, so on- I usually do between 10-20 minutes, depending on how much time I have. But don't forget to do a warm-up first for a few minutes.
    If you're willing to do a bit of research, there's some good articles on Bodybuilding.com about HIIT.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do Zwow on YouTube 3 days a week and tough mudder hiit 2 days a week and lift 5 days a week (I run 4 days a week too)
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am doing some hiit with weights bear in mind I am not very fit or I do the elliptical or treadmill with 30 sprint 30 slow for about 9 minutes after warming up. It kills me lol. I also do HIIT with resistance training e.g. push ups body weight squats and row using bungee bar etc
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthhabits.ca/2008/06/09/4-steps-to-a-great-hiit-workout/

think outside the box. personally think you will get a lot more out of say jumping rope, to clean and press, to push ups and then stop or just walk in a circle for an interval.

Just alternating cardio equipment may still be HIIT, but the more parts of your body you hit the more effective your time will be. and the three above exercises will deffinetly get your heart rate up if done at the right tempo.

had a link to a crossfit liberary but its not working right now for some reason. anything that gets your heart rate up is good for HIIT, and if you can through some resistence in there with it then thats a big bonus.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been doing HIIT 2-3 times a week while lifting since May.
    If you're not a big fan of running, you can always do it on an elliptical. I go back and forth between the treadmill and elliptical- I personally like running better, but I feel the elliptical challenges me more. Probably because I hate the thing, but anywho...Go slow for a few minutes as warm-up, then up the speed to as fast as you can go for a minute, back down for a minute, so on- I usually do between 10-20 minutes, depending on how much time I have. But don't forget to do a warm-up first for a few minutes.
    If you're willing to do a bit of research, there's some good articles on Bodybuilding.com about HIIT.

I like this idea! I was thinking either elliptical or arc trainer....hmm
  • mllst18
    Options
    http://www.healthhabits.ca/2008/06/09/4-steps-to-a-great-hiit-workout/

think outside the box. personally think you will get a lot more out of say jumping rope, to clean and press, to push ups and then stop or just walk in a circle for an interval.

Just alternating cardio equipment may still be HIIT, but the more parts of your body you hit the more effective your time will be. and the three above exercises will deffinetly get your heart rate up if done at the right tempo.

had a link to a crossfit liberary but its not working right now for some reason. anything that gets your heart rate up is good for HIIT, and if you can through some resistence in there with it then thats a big bonus.

I have to be careful of not doing stuff that is too high impact on my knees....but I miss running (I know, high impact) I guess I keep hoping that the more weight I loose, the easier it will get on my knees! Thanks for the advice!
  • mllst18
    Options
  • yecatsmn
    yecatsmn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some HIIT lately, but my knees still can't take running yet either. To avoid the knee problems I use either the elliptical, stationary bike, or my favorite: the rowing machine. Try out the last one! I'm with you on hoping that once I lose more weight I'll be able to run again.
  • mllst18
    Options
    I've been doing some HIIT lately, but my knees still can't take running yet either. To avoid the knee problems I use either the elliptical, stationary bike, or my favorite: the rowing machine. Try out the last one! I'm with you on hoping that once I lose more weight I'll be able to run again.

OoOo! I forgot about the rowing machine!!! I love/hate that thing!