Question about sizing/flaming bad customer service

Options
Sunsh1ne
Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
I have this website that I love to look at for adorable clothes, and I've kept some of their dresses in mind as "after" dresses. But all their sizes stop so small! Rather than giving measurements, they give measurements as taken flat across the front of the garment, which is a little less than half of what the bust can fit. And most of the time, their BUST sizes for LARGE garments stop under 36", which is my band size... the one measurement on me that has never changed.

I asked customer service about sizing, explained everything to her, and got a bunch of answers that I'd already read on the website, and then she said "We're considering adding up to 3X sizing" which is great, but they've been saying that for close to a year an no dice. Now, let's get this straight, I am talking to her because I **want to give them my money**. This is a good thing. So I say "I hope you do, because big girls have fashion sense too, it's not just for the waify." She replies with "Our clothes aren't just for the waify"... and then locks me out of the support chat box.

Questions.
1. What are normal sizes for adult women in America? Am I crazy for thinking of a 27" bust as waify?
2. Is it just me, or was that incredibly bad customer service?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that a company would measure their clothes like that.
    From what you said there is no way an average size woman could fit in them. I myself am a 36 B...yet I wear a 12 in girls jeans...yet I couldn't fit in those size shirts, there is no way my apparently huge bazoomas could fit, lol.
    What's the site...I'd like to look...and possibly talk with these people.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    modcloth.com... The dress that made me open customer service chat is this http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Marzipan+Marvel+Dress
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    27" chest??? Are these children's clothes???? Sorry... but I don't know but maybe one woman that has a chest size of that measurement. Hmmmm...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    modcloth.com... The dress that made me open customer service chat is this http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Marzipan+Marvel+Dress

I love that site! I didn't realise that's how they measured their clothes though.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Nope, they are marketed to high-school and college-aged women like me. What irks me most is that they just ran a series about body image distortion on their blog, and then... this.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options

I love that site! I didn't realise that's how they measured their clothes though.

Have you ever bought anything from them?
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I don't believe I understand their sizing... and I really like that dress - I see why it took your eye! :bigsmile:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    yowza. That's tiny!

I know it doesn't make you feel better but I had a similar experience over the phone once upon a time with Victoria Secret's. They didn't carry my band size in anything frilly or sexy. I was given a gift card for my bridal shower and couldn't use it. When I complained I was told "Most girls with large breasts aren't as big around as you are." I was a 38.

Craptasitical customer service stinks. I def. wouldn't give these ppl my money.
  • MichelleZB
    Options
    You are not crazy at all. I've lost weight over the years but my bust definitely hasn't shrunk. I'm over average sizing I would think but even like two or three inches smaller than me is more that 27 inches. And her locking you out of the chat box is bad customer service and i personally would complain.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Not any of their clothes...but their shoes on the other hand...I love them!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    At least shoe sizing always makes sense!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would say that yes, bad customer service and from everything I've read the average american woman size is 14.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    yowza. That's tiny!

I know it doesn't make you feel better but I had a similar experience over the phone once upon a time with Victoria Secret's. They didn't carry my band size in anything frilly or sexy. I was given a gift card for my bridal shower and couldn't use it. When I complained I was told "Most girls with large breasts aren't as big around as you are." I was a 38.

Craptasitical customer service stinks. I def. wouldn't give these ppl my money.

I had a simular experience with VS!! I went to the store because I was getting married and I knew they didn't carry by bra size b/c I'm small around with a large cup size, but my friend suggested just going in and asking if they might carry it online. So, after explaining the situation to the girl behind the counter, she just looked at us and said "I don't know". Really?! I'm getting married and potentially spending a lot of money in your store and you have just inspired me to spend NO money in your store!! Crazy!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Not to be redundant, but did you try this from their website?

"Simply select a garment that you know fits you well, lay it flat, and measure across the front. Then, compare that numbers with ours. (Measuring your body directly may give you misleading measurements.) If you are shopping for skirts or dresses, measure a skirt or dress you already have that fits you well. Same for tops, jackets, etc."

The dress I'm looking at says it's a 17" bust in a Large but that "does not include stretch" :noway:
    Well how the heck much does that stretch?

Now I have to measure a flat shirt when I get home. :laugh: :laugh:
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I've ordered quite a few things from Modcloth and more often than not I have to return it all, even after measuring my clothes like the instructions say to. I've given up on that site. Even the shoes I got did not fit right. Too bad, they have cute stuff.
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Oh also, just as a fyi, their clothes tend to be rather chintzy/cheap feeling.
  • dclarsh1
    Options
    I think it's the elastic in the back that's throwing you off. Either that or it's a misprint. I say that because if you look at the bust measurment compared to the waist, the bust is smaller. That's just absurd. Also, I have a similar style dress (strapless with an A-line skirt) and I measured it according to what their site said. It's a size 8 (I wear a 36B bra) and is 16 inches at the bust when flat, and 13.5 inches at the waist. This dress in a medium has a 13.5 inch waist, and a 12.5 inch bust, but it says the band allows for 5 inches stretch, so I would add what, half that? Makes it 15 inches across at the bust.

All that said, I would guess that their medium size dress is about an 8, and the large is about a 10. Hope that helps! Maybe I should go work for their customer service and have that lady you talked to fired? :laugh:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Nice to know they care. I posted a negative comment to their Twitter about two hours ago, and so far, no reply. They've made several Tweets since then, but it's clear that they're not able to respond to negative feedback. What a disappointment.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    So, if anyone's interested, I did a little research into what medium really means, and put it up on my blog. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sunsh1ne/view/size-distortion-19080