Taking the stairs but I'm not improving? What's up?

Options
First - my regular exercise consists of about 45 minutes on an elliptical machine 4 or 5 days a week (some days shorter with more speed, some days longer) 1 or 2 days on a treadmill and a few fast 45 minute walks at lunch. I also do crunches when I stretch out after exercise. I'm not doing any specific weight work yet but I'm hoping to start some push ups soon.

I've been using the stairs at work to build a little more activity into my work day. We have a contest going on at work to see which team can climb the most steps every day, and only "up" steps count. We have four floors - so the most steps in a trip would be 70. I've set a personal challenge to go up 1000 each work day and I'm really disappointed at how out of breath and exhausted I am when I finally stumble to the top landing.

I've gotten a little better in that the first few trips up each day I can make it to the top without stopping - but by the 3rd or 4th trip (spaced at least 15-20 minutes apart) I'm really slow at the top and by the afternoon I'm stopping on the second to last landing to catch my breath and kinda going one slow step at a time the rest of the way up.

I thought that four weeks into this I'd be able to at least make it to the top one or two times without being so out of breath and at a decent speed. I don't take any steps on Sundays and only do steps on Saturday if I didn't make my goal during the week.

When I use stairs that go much higher (like in the library tower) I still have to stop after about four or five floors to recover, then I can do a few more flights, stop and gasp, a few more, let my legs stop shaking... it's REALLY REALLY pathetic!

Our contest ends Sunday but I want to keep doing this so my day isn't just sitting here staring at my computer only exercising my brain!

Please let me know if you have any ideas - I'd like to be able to think eventually this will get easy!

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Try swapping out some of your at home cardio for some high intensity interval training, or HIIT. Basically the idea is to shorten to the cardio session to 20 min (no longer) and alternate, doing a minute working at maximum capacity (a full out sprint if you can handle it, but if not aim for 8-9 out of 10 on your personal intensity scale) then a minute or minute and a half if you need it jogging at a much slower pace. This kind of training strengthens your heart much quicker, so you'll get more noticeable gains out of your cardio. Hope this helps! =)
  • jennai
    jennai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have no suggestions, but I want to commend you. I have made this my mini weekly goal (an idea I got from a friend) many times, but getting the gumption to DO it, that's another story. I work on the 3rd floor, so three flights there, plus two more from the subbasement. Blah.

Good for you for sticking to it!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am starting to wonder if my coworkers are curious as to the footsteps they hear in the warehouse. Each time I go upstairs (or anywhere enar them) I make three quick trips up and down. I once did four trips up in a row.....yes, I thought I would die!!
  • ractayjon
    Options
    How about trying the "stairmaster" machine at the gym? That may help to build stamina in that type of movement. Just a thought.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    what are you eating throughout the day? that much muscle strain needs some extra protein, maybe add in a protein shake as your morning snack, or greek yogurt with granola & stevia, the extra complex carbs & protein will give you a little boost. although I have to say, I lived in a 19 floor apartment building and ran stairs as exercise and it never did get easy, and I was always out of breath and dying by the time i got to the top floor. granted I wasnt NEARLY as consistant with it as you are so I'm sure you're getting way more results out of it than I did!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Try swapping out some of your at home cardio for some high intensity interval training, or HIIT. Basically the idea is to shorten to the cardio session to 20 min (no longer) and alternate, doing a minute working at maximum capacity (a full out sprint if you can handle it, but if not aim for 8-9 out of 10 on your personal intensity scale) then a minute or minute and a half if you need it jogging at a much slower pace. This kind of training strengthens your heart much quicker, so you'll get more noticeable gains out of your cardio. Hope this helps! =)

Must......bite.......tongue.......
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First - my regular exercise consists of about 45 minutes on an elliptical machine 4 or 5 days a week (some days shorter with more speed, some days longer) 1 or 2 days on a treadmill and a few fast 45 minute walks at lunch. I also do crunches when I stretch out after exercise. I'm not doing any specific weight work yet but I'm hoping to start some push ups soon.

I've been using the stairs at work to build a little more activity into my work day. We have a contest going on at work to see which team can climb the most steps every day, and only "up" steps count. We have four floors - so the most steps in a trip would be 70. I've set a personal challenge to go up 1000 each work day and I'm really disappointed at how out of breath and exhausted I am when I finally stumble to the top landing.

I've gotten a little better in that the first few trips up each day I can make it to the top without stopping - but by the 3rd or 4th trip (spaced at least 15-20 minutes apart) I'm really slow at the top and by the afternoon I'm stopping on the second to last landing to catch my breath and kinda going one slow step at a time the rest of the way up.

I thought that four weeks into this I'd be able to at least make it to the top one or two times without being so out of breath and at a decent speed. I don't take any steps on Sundays and only do steps on Saturday if I didn't make my goal during the week.

When I use stairs that go much higher (like in the library tower) I still have to stop after about four or five floors to recover, then I can do a few more flights, stop and gasp, a few more, let my legs stop shaking... it's REALLY REALLY pathetic!

Our contest ends Sunday but I want to keep doing this so my day isn't just sitting here staring at my computer only exercising my brain!

Please let me know if you have any ideas - I'd like to be able to think eventually this will get easy!

Climbing stairs is REALLY hard work. It ain't ever gong to become "easy". I think you are doing fine and making about as much progress (actually, GREAT progress) as can be expected.

Plus you are doing a lot of other cardio besides which I suspect means a certain amount of residual fatigue. I think you have expectations that are a little high and thus you are undervaluing your accomplishments. Everything about your description is positive except your self-evaluation of it-and that's not in any way a critical comment.

Twenty-five years ago I worked in a hospital and the cardiac floor was on the sixth floor, while the outpatient cardiac rehab dept was on the first. At the time I was in 1:25:00 half-marathon shape and I routinely took the stairs when I had to work with cardiac inpatients on the sixth floor. I was ALWAYS sucking air at the top.

You are doing great.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I had thought at one point maybe I wasn't eating enough fuel, but after a day of "oops" eating it wasn't any better. I can't tell much difference after I eat carbs (apples or carrots) vs. protein (hard boiled eggs) it's just hard!

I'll try to accept the fact that I'll be a little pathetic and I guess I can be happy it's such hard work because that must mean I'm doing my self some good!

Thanks again!