The Microwave: Friend or Foe?

Options

Replies

• faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an engineer - all radiation is dangerous. This includes tanning booths, small space heaters, and yes - microwaves.

However - microwave units have a protective shield on them which stops the harmful rays from hitting you. If you look at the front of the microwave - you'll see a netting type pattern. It's not plain glass because microwaves pass through glass and can harm you.

The pattern is very important. Those holes which you're peering through are smaller than the physical size of a microwave. Thus - they cannot escape and harm you.

Older microwave units, with cracks or tears may have some escaping.

tl;dr: The microwave is fine - just be careful.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Its my friend.

exercise.png
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    it's the way that microwas heats food that degrades the nutritional value. it's not bad for u though. micro waves are harmless. they pass through us all the time, no body is dropping dead from it.

i use it for left overs. i prefer to use the oven most of the time though, just because i am a foodie and i think the microwave makes food taste bland. O:
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an engineer - all radiation is dangerous.

So the light coming from the incandescent bulbs in my bathroom will kill me? Speaking as an engineer, NO! Not all radiation is dangerous. Too much of _anything_ can be dangerous, but to say all radiation is dangerous makes me think they should take back your degree.
  • faster_than_flash
    Options
    So the light coming from the incandescent bulbs in my bathroom will kill me? Speaking as an engineer, NO! Not all radiation is dangerous. Too much of _anything_ can be dangerous, but to say all radiation is dangerous makes me think they should take back your degree.

Not sure what type of response you are looking for - especially with a personal attack as such.

My statement stands - and you took it to an extreme. Different forms of radiation are more lethal than others - and of course, intensity is important.

Look up the wattage in your lightbulb - then look up the wattage in your microwave.
  • jlaurena
    Options
    bahahahahahaha - that HAD to be it!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Not sure what type of response you are looking for - especially with a personal attack as such.

My statement stands - and you took it to an extreme. Different forms of radiation are more lethal than others - and of course, intensity is important.

Look up the wattage in your lightbulb - then look up the wattage in your microwave.

radiation only refers to the way waves propagate. there is nothing dangerous about that.

radiation (i.e. RF frequency waves in this case) and radioactivity are not the same.

i'm an engineer and i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't express yourself properly, but your original post had mistakes and i was also tempted to correct you.

the only worry one has with EM waves has to do with wave frequency, strength, and duration of exposure.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because of them being "dangerous", I avoid them because they make food taste like crap.

We have one in our condo because it was there when we bought it, but we have a toaster-oven that we use WAY more for things we don't want to heat the oven up for (leftovers and such)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because of them being "dangerous", I avoid them because they make food taste like crap.

We have one in our condo because it was there when we bought it, but we have a toaster-oven that we use WAY more for things we don't want to heat the oven up for (leftovers and such)

microwaves are great for quickly boiling water. :)
  • misskerouac
    Options

microwaves are great for quickly boiling water. :)

I just use my electric kettle for that, it's always on the counter and it's quick.

I'm actually pretty sure the only thing our microwave gets used for is popcorn lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Then you need to clean your microwave. They don't make food taste like anything. They simply heat the stuff up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The microwave and I are BFFs.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

You said "all radiation is dangerous" with NO qualifiers or context. Frankly, a stupid thing to say to a group of folks many of whom know nothing about radiation and the simple fact that plain old light from a light bulb is radiation and is not dangerous. So, I maintain that your statement, "all radiation is dangerous" is asinine at best, dangerous at worst.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

radiation only refers to the way waves propagate. there is nothing dangerous about that.

radiation (i.e. RF frequency waves) and radioactivity are not the same.

i'm an engineer and i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't express yourself properly, but your original post had mistakes and i was also tempted to correct you.

the only worry one has with EM waves has to do with wave frequency, strength, and duration of exposure.

and this ^
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just read the other microwave thread..by far one of the funniest ever...

It's a little known fact that David Banner's lab was chock full of microwaves... he was nuking 16 extra picante green avocado burritos in 16 microwaves at the same time when a horrible accident occurred..The explosion rocked the lab and killed the unsuspecting scientist..or did it?
  • misskerouac
    Options

Then you need to clean your microwave. They don't make food taste like anything. They simply heat the stuff up.

My microwave is clean.
    What I mean by "they make it taste like crap" is the texture, sorry I should have worded that different. Leftovers like casseroles or pizza get that nice crisp to them when you heat them up in the oven/ toaster-oven, in my opinion anyways, i'm sure other people don't care.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    the mocrowave is my friend. i use it to heat water for tea, heat leftovers and make popcorn
  • faster_than_flash
    Options
    My microwave is clean.
    What I mean by "they make it taste like crap" is the texture, sorry I should have worded that different. Leftovers like casseroles or pizza get that nice crisp to them when you heat them up in the oven/ toaster-oven, in my opinion anyways, i'm sure other people don't care.
    Yes - the doughy foods become soft and don't taste very good. TV dinners come out surprisingly well - as do eggs.
    I also do chicken in the microwave - but that, in itself, is an art haha
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

My microwave is clean.

Ah - OK. Thumbs up for you - and some flowers :flowerforyou: - for not getting all defensive and stuff. :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's a Mercola thing. Don't worry about it.