The truth about dieting...

Options
So I've been struggling with weight loss for a long time, and I found a plan that works. It's not a miracle diet, it's just common sense. Starving yourself is not the answer, and neither is "everything with moderation"...it is not good for you or for your body to eat a slice of chocolate cake for dinner becuase you want it and it "fits in your calorie goals". You will lose weight this way, but it's just not the healthy way...I don't mean to be harsh, but I really believe this.

I thought I would share with you all. This diet helped me lose almost 15 pounds in two weeks...and it was HEALTHY and GOOD for me. I gained the weight back because I couldn't stay focused, but this is the plan I intend to follow now that I'm back on track...

Low fat, low sodium, when you are reading labels in the store, try this trick:

Calories from fat must be less than 20%
Sodium must be less than the number of calories

You will be SHOCKED at how much this limits you because of the amount of sodium/fat in foods. Too much sodium is toxic to our bodies, but because it's part of the refining process, it is low calorie, and it makes foods taste good, manufacturers load EVERYTHING with it.

This is very difficult to stick to full time, but better is better, and if you can cut out at least some of the junk, you will feel more healthy, more energetic, and you will lose weight. Getting rid of all this stuff also helps make more room for lots of yummy fruits and veggies!

Also, consider this: instead of having potato chips, Special K chips, or whatever else, you could have an ENTIRE baked potato with sour cream and low sodium salsa (these things all fall within the rules!)...doesn't that sound like it would fill you up more than 28 of those little chips?

If you are interested in hearing more about this plan, or want recipes, or substitutes for things you would normally eat, add me or message me, I have an entire shopping list!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The truth is that you simply need to modify the way you eat so that you consume less calories, then add exercise to burn some.

Calling it a diet implies that you will finish the diet at some point and go back to the way you ate before. At which point you will regain every pound you lost.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    15lbs in 2 weeks.

15lbs of ....WHAT?
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mostly fat! It should also be noted that during that two weeks I was also exercising about 180 minutes a day. 45 cardio, 45 weights, 45 yoga, 45 zumba or spin.

I don't have time to do that anymore...this was a two week period where I was focused on only doing this for myself, but it worked.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    What method are you using to determine body composition?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Mostly fat! It should also be noted that during that two weeks I was also exercising about 180 minutes a day. 45 cardio, 45 weights, 45 yoga, 45 zumba or spin.

I don't have time to do that anymore...this was a two week period where I was focused on only doing this for myself, but it worked.

If you lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks, that wasn't all fat. Bye bye, muscle...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 2 weeks.

15lbs of ....WHAT?

15 pounds of water, I would assume. Starting to eat healthier and cutting way back on sodium at the same time will do that.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options

I was thinking the bulk of that was water weight. I can't imagine burning that much fat or her body eating up that much muscle.
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Yes I would say probably the first 5-7 pounds were water. I cut WAY back in sodium. I had a scan done of my body to determine composition.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I was thinking the bulk of that was water weight. I can't imagine burning that much fat or her body eating up that much muscle.

The bulk probably was water weight but certainly muscle went out the door as well if you lose that quickly.