strength training calories?

Options
Hello everybody,

This is my first post so please bear with me! :-)

Now, perhaps this is a silly question but can anybody tell me why logging strength training exercises does not register calories burned? This evening I went to a strength training class and could calculate via the calories burned calculator tool on here that that was estimated at 159 calories burned. However I can't add this to my log; I can only find the individual strength training exercises and logging those shows no calories burned.

Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• caware1
    Options
    I was wondering that also. Today I discovered that there's a "strength training" class under the cardo section. By logging it there, an option for calories burned shows.
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    I wouldn't track exercise calories burned. Tracking what you burn "during" exercise doesn't do justice because your body will be burning more calories around the clock.

Your superior option would be to stick to a consistent workout schedule and calculate your calories with something like the harris benedict equation.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    That section is just a log. You need to go to the cardio section and search for weight training. A problem however is that estimating calories burned is very difficult to do accurately.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can create your own cardio exercise and call it whatever you want and put in the calories. That's how I do my P90X and RevAbs stuff, but it would work for any kind of exercise as long as you have a time and a calorie value. Once you create it you can reuse it, which is even better!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you want to log caloires burned, then track it under the cardio section as strength training. You can adjust the calories if you are measuring them with a hrm or other device. It is difficult to calculate how much one burns with weight training, there are too many variables.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have found the same thing. My fix is to go into Cardiovascular and select the "Circuit training, general" option. Closest thing to accurate as I can find.
  • Runs4Pasta
    Runs4Pasta Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use "calisthenics" to log my strength training on MFP. I also use Fitocracy for exercise motivation, education and to track work-outs.
  • lillenisse
    lillenisse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks all for your great suggestions and comments.

Even though my body will be burning calories around the clock, and even if it is not 100% accurate I think I will try to log them under cardio exercise. This may sound a little odd but seeing the work I've put in during the day's summary really helps me stay motivated :-)

Thanks again!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks all for your great suggestions and comments.

Even though my body will be burning calories around the clock, and even if it is not 100% accurate I think I will try to log them under cardio exercise. This may sound a little odd but seeing the work I've put in during the day's summary really helps me stay motivated :-)

Thanks again!

You should log it under both. The Cardio Section is only calories burned but under strength training you can keep track of your rep's, set's and weights.