Paleo % Breakdown

Options
Hi Fellow MFPers,

I am following the Paleo plan and I was just wondering if any of you know what the breakdown should be percentage wise for tracking Carbs, Fat, Protein......

Any insight would be awesome.

xoxo
J

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It doesn't matter based on the diet. Generally, you want to aim for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lbm. And the rest carbs. Generally, 35/40/25 c/p/f will fill that quota.
  • irvingj
    Options
    How do you figure out LBM? is that just your weight? I thought that you were supposed to have a higher fat content in your diet when following Paleo? are you following the Paleo plan? if so have you been doing it for long? - Thanks for your response :O)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How do you figure out LBM? is that just your weight? I thought that you were supposed to have a higher fat content in your diet when following Paleo? are you following the Paleo plan? if so have you been doing it for long? - Thanks for your response :O)

To calculate lean body mass, you need to determine your body fat. They have electronic machines that can, but they aren't as accurate as body fat calipers (found online for $10 or you can get it done at the doctors or a gym). If you can't get it done, you can take your weight x 75% and that is what you should about aim for. Some aim for 1 lb per lb of weight.

With paleo, you will almost automatically get higher protein and fats due to most of your calories from fruits and veggies. I was still able to hit my existing macro's (with about 200g of carbs) when I was eating paleo. It still gave me the same weight loss as a normal diet but I still eat paleo most of the time due to my wifes medical condition.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It seems to vary greatly. I've seen some people say they are paleo and under 50g of carbs to be keto, others eat about 150g, some even up to 200g. I have not been strictly following paleo, but when I eat at the house I'm avoiding buying grain type products. I get about 120g-150g of carbs every day, but I don't strive for a particular number. I in theory try to get 150g of protein as well. I let my fats fall where they may, which is always over what I'm "supposed" to have. But, it's peanut butter (told you I'm not really paleo :laugh:), olive oil, and avocados. So healthier fats. I'd aim for getting all of your protein in, and limit your carbs by what you do and do not eat. Most of the paleo/primal sites I've seen say ignore your fat numbers. Some sites promote lean meats, some are all about bacon. And I'm rambling now...
  • auddii
    Options
    I just read this, which may help. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets When I adjusted my percentages to get the recommended grams of macros based on my weight, I ended up in a 30/40/40 split.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hi Fellow MFPers,

I am following the Paleo plan and I was just wondering if any of you know what the breakdown should be percentage wise for tracking Carbs, Fat, Protein......

Any insight would be awesome.

xoxo
    J
    H-G'ers macros would have depended greatly on where they lived and what was readily available. The ethnographical atlas seems to have the average ratio at 65/35 animal/plant. Of course some will be low carb living in northern latitudes and others not so much, even high carb (70%) like the Kitevan do in South East Asia .......basically it's up to you. Personally I think that looking after protein is paramount at around .8 to 1.2 g's/lb/lbm and I would not discount the root veg like sweet potato for the lion share of your carbs and the rest in fruit and veg. My ratio's generally work out to 40/25/35 P/C/F and that keeps the sugar demons away and gives me enough for the gym to go nuts.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter based on the diet. Generally, you want to aim for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lbm. And the rest carbs. Generally, 35/40/25 c/p/f will fill that quota.

Actually, it does depend on the diet. Paleo/primal is a high fat, moderate protein, moderate to low carb diet. The fat percentage you suggested here is really low, even lower than the generic SAD percentage MFP sets. Most people who follow a paleo/primal diet eat 40-60% of their diet in fat, set their protein so they have 1g per lb of lbm, and have the carbs fall in with whatever is left. When I was following it, I had a ratio of 45/35/20 f/p/c.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm not sure about Paleo, but I am very familiar with Keto and that is 60% fat 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Actually, it does depend on the diet. Paleo/primal is a high fat, moderate protein, moderate to low carb diet. The fat percentage you suggested here is really low, even lower than the generic SAD percentage MFP sets. Most people who follow a paleo/primal diet eat 40-60% of their diet in fat, set their protein so they have 1g per lb of lbm, and have the carbs fall in with whatever is left. When I was following it, I had a ratio of 45/35/20 f/p/c.

I read the paleo book and cookbook and i dont recall it specifically talking about macro nutrition in either. Now I will agree you will most likely you will get higher fats and protein in this diet, but there isn't a specific requirement for it.
  • maricasas
    Options
    Hi all!

I use The Zone blocks to help me with the carb/protein/fat amounts. It took me a couple of weeks to get to know how much of what I needed, but now I've got it down.

Been slacking since 12/18 so I'm getting back on track this weekend :)
  • auddii
    Options
    I just read this, which may help. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets When I adjusted my percentages to get the recommended grams of macros based on my weight, I ended up in a 30/40/40 split.

Ha, just realized I can't type. That's 30/30/40 c/p/f. For my calorie goal, that's 139g of carbs and protein and 82g fat. I calculated my protein and fat based on my weight and set my percentages to get as close to that as possible. Then I let my carbs have the rest.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    WHy are you doing all this stuff? All these restrictions, what are you afraid of? 1 rule. Calories in vs calories out.

Paleo isn't about fear. It's about cutting out inflammatory foods.

Yes, I generally agree with calories-in/calories-out, however, there is a bit more than that when it comes to people with metabolic issues. And it's entirely possible to eat within your preferred calorie range while following Paleo guidelines....and not be hungry at all. Nevermind the better sleep, the higher libido, the more energy, and the general feeling of AWESOME.

Overall, most Paleo/Primal/Whole30 groups will tell you to not count calories. Why? Because it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Also, when you divide your plate in half with 50% meat and 50% vegetables, it's exceptionally hard to overeat either food or calorie-wise. I personally do a 75/25 vegetable/meat split because I feel best at that ratio.
  • investit
    investit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best resource I have found to date is the Keto Calculator
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    I used that to figure out my percentages and then plugged them into Myfittnesspal
    It gives you your Macronutrient Ratio too

**The only thing you can't juggle in MFP (myfittnesspal) is Net Carbs
    I would like to be able to keep a daily log showing my Total Carbs, Sugar, Starches and Fiber, Then a Column for Net Carbs subtracting just the real honest to goodness fiber :)
    That being said you will have to set your Total Carbs on MFP higher than what you choose as your Net Carbs on the Keto Calculator
    I know it sounds a bit confusing but play around with it and you will love it
    If you have any questions I will try and help :smile:
  • lacemydan
    Options
    This particular post was EXTREMELY helpful! Thanks investit!
  • lacemydan
    Options
    Best resource I have found to date is the Keto Calculator
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    I used that to figure out my percentages and then plugged them into Myfittnesspal
    It gives you your Macronutrient Ratio too

**The only thing you can't juggle in MFP (myfittnesspal) is Net Carbs
    I would like to be able to keep a daily log showing my Total Carbs, Sugar, Starches and Fiber, Then a Column for Net Carbs subtracting just the real honest to goodness fiber :)
    That being said you will have to set your Total Carbs on MFP higher than what you choose as your Net Carbs on the Keto Calculator
    I know it sounds a bit confusing but play around with it and you will love it
    If you have any questions I will try and help :smile:

This post was EXTREMELY helpful! Thanks investit!