Has anyone tried intermittent fasting / 5:2 Diet?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Like?

How substances are metabolized for example.
  • chasmclean
    chasmclean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 cup plain yogurt with sweetener mixed with 2 cups frozen berries = 300 calories....twice per day for my 600 calories on fasting days with amazingly ZERO hunger. Fills you right up. At 1800 calories I was on a plateau before that but lost around 2 lbs first week by sticking to 1800 calories on the other 5 full eating days.
    Fitness pal works very well to keep me on track. Its been easy. Berries and yogurt = ZERO hunger for me on fasting days.
  • nedbar1966
    Options
    I started this diet just over 6 months ago. I lost about 7 lbs. in the first couple of months, but have not lost any weight in the last 4 months even though I've been faithful to the plan. I will admit that I probably eat more on the non-fast days than I did before I started the diet. After reading the posts here, I think maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've read about some people fasting from one evening to the next evening. I eat 500 calories or less on Mondays and Wednesdays. I get up on Monday morning and I eat about 200 calories for breakfast. I don't eat lunch. I eat about 300 calories for dinner. I go to bed. On Tuesday I eat whatever I want to eat. On Wednesday, I do the same as I did on Monday. Thursday through Sunday, I eat what I want to eat. I have the book by Dr. Moseley and this is what I understand is the way it works. Are some of you saying that you eat a complete meal without regard to calories one evening and then eat 500 calories or less until the very next evening and then have a complete meal without regard to calories again? What I like about IF is that I count calories for two days only. (I detest weighing food and counting the calories.) I eat without regard to calories for 5 days a week. I only need to lose about 7 more lbs. but I have not lost a single lb. in the last 4 months. What am I doing wrong?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Nedbar that's the basic simplest approach you're using. Other peoplse' tweaks and variations have been arrived at to try to get through plateaus, or (sometimes) to try to lose more quickly.

After you lost weight, your TDEE will have reduced. Have you been eating less on your non fast days to allow for that factor? How much do you still have to lose - current bmi etc?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I started this diet just over 6 months ago. I lost about 7 lbs. in the first couple of months, but have not lost any weight in the last 4 months even though I've been faithful to the plan. I will admit that I probably eat more on the non-fast days than I did before I started the diet. After reading the posts here, I think maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've read about some people fasting from one evening to the next evening. I eat 500 calories or less on Mondays and Wednesdays. I get up on Monday morning and I eat about 200 calories for breakfast. I don't eat lunch. I eat about 300 calories for dinner. I go to bed. On Tuesday I eat whatever I want to eat. On Wednesday, I do the same as I did on Monday. Thursday through Sunday, I eat what I want to eat. I have the book by Dr. Moseley and this is what I understand is the way it works. Are some of you saying that you eat a complete meal without regard to calories one evening and then eat 500 calories or less until the very next evening and then have a complete meal without regard to calories again? What I like about IF is that I count calories for two days only. (I detest weighing food and counting the calories.) I eat without regard to calories for 5 days a week. I only need to lose about 7 more lbs. but I have not lost a single lb. in the last 4 months. What am I doing wrong?

The bolded part would probably be the issue. Just do not eat without regard. I am not saying to calorie count as you hate it, but have some regard to what you are eating. As we lose weight, are TDEE goes down naturally.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Only because I fast 2 days a week does not give me carte blanche to stuff my face for the rest of the week.

For me a 5:2 fast day only really generates a 1000 calorie deficit and 2000 calories are easily overconsumed by not paying too much attention on the other 5 days.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A necrobumped 5:2 thread? Can't we just use the recent ones?