Suggested Calorie Intake 1200,but BMR 1400

I've input that I want to lose 1lb a week but am reading everywhere on this site that you shouldn't eat below your BMR?

I am 40 years old
168lbs (good 7 of that Xmas weight gain!)
5ft 3inches
Workout 4-5 times a week
Sedentary Desk,Job!

I've input my proposed calories for the week and even cutting back this often takes me over? Have I input something wrong or am I just not understanding it!

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Replies

• supermumincanada
    supermumincanada Posts: 59 Member
    I think if you've got weight to lose, eating under your bmi is ok. That calorie goal would be 1200 plus your excercise calories
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 623 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this calculator never net under bmr period.
  • Kazzabob
    Kazzabob Posts: 11 Member
    Wow - that calculates BMR - 1488; TDEE - 2307; calorie intake 1845 if want to lose 20% fat -that's quite a difference??? I really like this site but recommending to reduce calorie intake to 1200 surely isn't healthy?? I have to admit I was ratty as hell earlier as I was starving!!!
  • Another thing you can do is instead of doing what MFP tells you, simply do 10-12 times your body weight. So if you weigh 160 pounds you should eat 1600-1800 calories. 1600 is about a pound a week and 1800 about .5 pound a week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this calculator never net under bmr period.

True that.....

Also OP, if you're doing "sedentary" you will want to account for exercise calories and eat them back. If you didn't and let's say you burned 300 calories doing exercise, you'd be netting well below you BMR. Another option would be to up your activity level on the calculator and eat to that and not bother with logging and eating back exercise calories. That's what I do and it pretty much comes out 6 of 1.

Also, you can manually input your goals into MFP...that's what I had to do and I'm losing about 1.2 Lbs per week.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    I do alternate day fasting, and net under BMR every other day. It hasn't hurt me any.
  • Kazzabob
    Thanks all - have done WW for years so generally know what is a good day/bad day of eating. I think 1600-1800 sound like a plan for now and then I'll see how I get on. This site just seems to work better and I like the scanner - just already bugs me when it puts me in the minus!!!
  • Kazzabob
    Keirasmum - what concerned me was it would be under 200 of my BMR EVERY day! .... Manually amended calorie intake to 1500 for now ...