Please don't shoot!

RacheBell
RacheBell Posts: 111
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good appetite suppressant that I could buy at a drug store. My doctor refuses to prescribe me ANYTHING to do with weightloss, he doesn't believe in it. I'm really desperate, I just need something to help me get eating under control for a little while until I'm used to it. Some days I feel like I could eat everything in site, and it's tough. I'm sure all of you know that though..

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Green tea, lots of it.

edit: BREWED green tea. Not stuff you buy from coolers. Grab yourself a big box of tea bags and start brewing.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    rather than an appetite suppressant I would focus on food that make you feel fuller longer such as complex carbohydrates(think whole grain, not white). Protein in the AM helps also. make sure you are well hydrated as our brains can confuse thirst for hunger. I was very hungry for a week or so until my body adjusted, now I'm not. Your body WILL adjust, you just need to be patient and let it
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I agree with iamladybird... also gum, sugar free hard candys, ice chips, and water... will help you feel full, and I find often if I'm behind on my water I feel hungry when in reality I'm thirsty.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I agree - increase your fiber. Eat foods that make you fuller longer. And if it gets bad, try brewed green tea. It makes me so sick that I can't eat afterwards. Maybe you'll have the same result :wink:

Just try to balance those foods. Also, for me, if I'm really hungry, I'll drink some water and then do a walk or mini cardio exercise or something similar to take my mind off of the "hunger" (which is *NOT* actually hunger). Maybe that will help you! Get up and move if you're hungry and you ought not be.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    first, i believe it is important to find a doctor to LISTEN to you, not push their own beliefs and agenda on you. can you find another doctor or practice to go to?

second, maybe try stepping down your calories in 200-300 calorie increments instead of going 'cold turkey' down to your recommended calorie deficit.

third, gum. gum is going to be your best friend while your body adjusts. the act of chewing will 'trick' your brain and stomach into thinking it's getting something and that can buy you 20 minutes to a couple hours until the next time you eat.

fourth, if nothing else will work on the hunger, drink a glass of 1% milk (the calcium is good for you) which will give your body something to break down and process. sometimes water just doesn't cut it.
    dawn
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    The tea, the fiber filled foods, complex carbs, and lots of protein will help. As for gum--it MIGHT help--unless you are like me. If I chew gum it makes me hungry--immediately.:grumble: The only time I use it is if I have overeaten and want to feel less full--it does help me with that.

I don't know if there is anyone else out there that faces this issue with gum, but because of my experience with it, I always cringe when I see people suggesting it be used as an appetite suppressant.

It may very well work for you, though, so by all means try it along with the other things.

Good luck!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    even if you find a doctor to give you drugs, rather than doing it the safe healthy way, when you stop taking them, the weight you lost will spring right back.

so save yourself the aggravation and the health risk and just stick to the best thing around..... MFP!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Doctor's who "don't believe" in something, and refuse to listen to your concerns really p**s me off. I have one of those as well. I wouldn't recommend appetite suppressants though, because they're a short-term fix, and you really need to learn the skills required for longterm weight loss and maintenance.

Cut out the junk, make every calorie count, protein, fiber, good fats, good carbs, water...you'll be satisfied with less food, and stay satisfied longer.

Like anything, the more you practice restraint with food, the better you get at it.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    "Work For Food" :laugh:

Every calorie you earn from Excericise you can eat... Walking can earn you a whole extra meal. :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Doctor's who "don't believe" in something, and refuse to listen to your concerns really p**s me off. I have one of those as well. I wouldn't recommend appetite suppressants though, because they're a short-term fix, and you really need to learn the skills required for longterm weight loss and maintenance.

Cut out the junk, make every calorie count, protein, fiber, good fats, good carbs, water...you'll be satisfied with less food, and stay satisfied longer.

Like anything, the more you practice restraint with food, the better you get at it.
    \

^insert applause smiley^

I want my doc to listen, give his opinion, then let ME decide what is good for me.

That being said............I have done the pill thing and guess what? Get it under control with a pill, shake like a fall tree in the wind for a month, lose 5 pounds, and end up in the ER with an IV in my arm.

THIS time I did as stated above and took my time and it is gone FOR GOOD!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

Every calorie you earn from Excericise you can eat... Walking can earn you a whole extra meal. :wink: :flowerforyou:

Hell to the yea!!! :laugh:

When I first started I would go do 20 more min of exercise so I could have my roll!! :wink:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member

Hell to the yea!!! :laugh:

When I first started I would go do 20 more min of exercise so I could have my roll!! :wink:

Made me think of this Runner's World Quote of the day

"I don't believe in restricting calories, I believe in burning them."
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    It might also help for you to find what triggers your eating. If it really is hunger, the above tips of making changes more slowly are great. You might also want to look at what you're eating; eating a lot of simple carbs can send your blood sugar on a roller coaster ride and when your insulin spikes after a carb-rich meal it can send more hunger signals to your brain. It helps to switch to more complex carbs and also have protein along with carbs.

But quite often it's not real hunger; it's habitual snacking or trying to fill some emotional need. Only you can figure that out - it might help to keep a journal for a while and if you find that there are emotional or other triggers that make you want to eat you can work on that angle.

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • When you are feeling hungry, I heard more often than not its actually that you are thirsty/dehydrated. So try drinking a whole glass of water and then see how you feel.

Sometimes when I'm hungry I drink a diet soda (I really try to stay off the stuff because I'm an anti-caffeine freak) but the carbonation helps fill me up. Also a glass of milk, or a serving of cottage cheese. While I was doing P90X one of my morning snacks was 30 pistachios. I count them out by 5's (I'm an accountant, I count EVERYTHING) and eat them. Sometimes by the time I get to 20 I'm full enough to make it to lunch so I stop!

Apples are supposed to be filling too. Thats my latest new snack fad!

My newest breakfast kick is a Casein protein shake (chocolate!). My boyfriend's brother recommended it over any other kind of protein because its "slow acting" - therefore better for a meal replacement shake so he says. I mix it with water and take it with me on my drive to work - its 120 calories and keeps me full for about 2 hours until I am ready for my apple.
  • You're not going to get any recommendations for pills on this site, sorry to tell ya. I think most of us believe in doing things the natural way.

If you feel out of control with your eating, there is not pill that will fix that. It will suppress it for a while, but the issue will never go away. Consider something like overeaters annonymus, keep reaching out on here, read the permanent posts, and just plain don't buy junk food.

Your doctor not believing in weightloss pills may be frustrating, but he is on to something there. You have to take responsibility for your behavior. Its not up to doctors to fix us, they are there to treat us. Be thankful you don't have one of those doctors that say, "If you gain 50 more pounds you'll qualify for bariatric surgery." I've seen it. Very sad.

If you still don't like your doctor find a nw one. Especially if you really think he's wrong. Doctors have a right to implement their morals in their practice. If quick weightloss is not in his belief, you may not want to push it because he probably doesn't feel comfortable that he would keep you safe. Wouldn't you rather see someone with more experience in the area anyway? If I demand a root canal from my dentist, but he doesn't do them regularly, then I'm better off going to someone who does. Do you see what I mean? Just because someone holds the title doctor, doesn't mean they are experts in all areas. We should be thankful for that, bc thats alot of room for mistakes.

Before you resort to pills, find out whats going on inside. Its never what we think.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Hey,,, the person is a doctor, got sheepskin on the wall. You're asking him to prescribe a medication that he doesn't believe is indicated, safe or necessary. Prescribing or not prescribing is his decision. If you don't like his decision you're free to find another doctor.

About your cravings/munchie issues... Need a little psych here, maybe bait & switch yourself,,,

Find some nice healthy little treatlets that you like - not necessarily food - and when you are fighting that urge to munch have your other thing instead.

Most of the time when we want to snack we're not hungry, we're just bored. Or doing something we don't really want to do and a snack gives us an excuse to take a break from it.

So - address the real issue. Are you really just bored? Do something to occupy yourself that doesn't involve calories. Are you just looking for an excuse to take a break? Then take that break and do something else. It takes 5 minutes to walk around the block, and 5 minutes to go grab a Snicker bar - so which one is better for you? They're both a 5 minute break,,,

On the other hand, if you actually are hungry, then you should eat something. Just be smart about it. Veggies, a rice cake, an apple. Cheerios & skim milk. I eat at least 6 times a day,,,

You should try to find some way to not have to tell yourself "No". "No" sux, and just leads to feeling sad and deprived. So find a way to say "Do-think-eat this other thing instead",,, much easier and healthier and better than just "No".
  • Pills screw up your metabolism. Will it be worth it for you to gain weight in the end, or is it important to have a healthy lifestyle with long term weight loss? Unfortunately those magic pills have side effects, and how do I know this firsthand? From my heart murmur, courteously recieved by the doc who prescribed me appetite suppressants years ago. It takes work...wish there was a better answer, but it's the best you'll get from this long time overeater and non-exerciser.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Does your doctor really refuse to prescribe a suppressant because he won't listen to you and doesn't believe in them, or because he knows that there isn't a pill for healthy weight loss, and you just don't want to hear that?

If your doctor really isn't listening to you and is compromising your health to fulfill his "beliefs," that is a problem and needs to be addressed. But I'm hesitant to condemn a doctor for refusing to prescribe medication that won't be helpful and could be harmful.

You can't lose weight without lifestyle change--not in a healthy way. You could take a pill, damp down the urge to eat, drop five or ten pounds...but the minute you stop that pill, you'll gain it all back, and probably more, because taking a pill didn't address the reasons that you're overweight.

Do it the right way...you'll be glad in the long run.

Oooh...running...there's an idea! :wink:
  • He really just doesn't believe in it.

I might also add, that this doctor, said I had a bladder infection when I went to him with extreme back pain. He prescribed me antibiotics, and the tests came back that I didn't have a bladder infection. He still made me take the pills, and said it would go away.

I think I need a new doctor....

And thanks for the tips guys! I just stocked up on some natural green tea, and benefiber. Hopefully that will work out for me.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Hoodia works pretty well.

I think appetite suppresants can be a useful tool when you're JUST starting to cut back on your calories. Those first few days can be difficult, and is why a lot of people fall off the wagon early on. After a while your body adjusts to not eating as much an those hunger pains go away.

I've used hoodia in the past with some success. Haven't used it in the past three months since joining MFP, though.... the last time I tried it was probably 2 years ago.

Edit: Of course, I agree with everyone else about doing it 'right'. And they have great points. However I think appetite suppresents can be a useful tool if used right an not abuse. In conjuction with good food and exercise. They helped me lose 30 pounds 8 years ago, and I kept it off until i had kids. But since I never learned good habits, the weight DID come back.
This discussion has been closed.