HRM / TDEE Questions

Options
I'm expecting my new HRM to arrive tomorrow (according to the tracker at least).

I already downloaded the manual that will come with it, to familiarize with the settings etc.

I want to know if anyone has done this with their HRM:

As it tracks calories burned, I would like to wear it for a full day of normal activity (non-workout day) to get an idea of what my daily expenditure is, and compare it to what I have calculated as my TDEE so that I can then take a 15% cut from that number to continue to lose.

Is this a realistic thing to do, or should I simply take my TDEE as what the calculators say it is, and use my HRM to track my actual calories burned to make sure that I am still taking in my TDE -15%?

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good question...seeing as I just got mine, I'd love to hear what people think as well.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    bump...i was thinking of doing the same thing
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/215083-heart-rate-monitor-accuracy-very-interesting

Basically they are calibrated for use during cardio exercise, and will not give you accurate results for a 24 hour period, unless you are doing cardio the entire time! :smile:
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    Unless technology has changed recently, as far as I know HRMs are not designed to give you an accurate picture of calories burned at rest. They are most accurate (and then only still an estimate) for actual aerobic exercise.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I had my hesitation about it measuring this.

I will stick to wearing it for my workouts only, for a better idea of what my calories burned are/target heart rate etc.
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A fitbit is meant to be work all day, including during sleep depending on the model. They would be the most acurate but even then their is a margin of error.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the info!