reaching out for ideas again

Options
So I am flyin cross country next week and do not wanna buy food in the airport, I wanna take my own snacks.

I found a recipe for home made granola bars but they are more calories than buying proccessed ones, and the whole point of making my own snacks is to be healthier....

do any of you know some good low cal home made snacks that I can take? I don't wanna take cheeses cuz i don't have a way to keep anything cold. I like the granola bar idea but need something under 300 cal per bar.

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    How about making your own trail mix? it's easy, there's no cooking or baking, and you can customize it to suit your preferences.
  • aelder08
    Options
    Frozen grapes is a good one too. It doesn't matter if you keep them cold or not because you can eat them cold or after they've thawed out.

Also... I would get on pinterest... there are always a bunch of healthy recipes on there, but watch out because there are a lot of NOT healthy recipes too!
  • Gazelle2013
    Options
    How about celery sticks with almond butter? You could add raisins and make "ants on a log". Did you get any formula/breastfeeding kits from the hospital that came with a bottle cooler bag (not sure what the correct term is)? If so, you could always put some snacks in the bag along with the freezer thing instead of a bottle. I hope that made sense! And check this out. I loooooooove this site and this article is right up your alley! http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2262 Good luck and have a safe trip!.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Those little boxes of raisins, 100 cal packs of nuts (I don't usually buy those, but they are nice for travel!), sliced apples, baby carrots, beef jerky, and I'd even take cheese - either the mozzarella sticks or the Baby Bell cheeses in the wax - both are air tight, so while the cheese may get a little soft as it warms up, it's still good to eat.
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you just stayed and lived at my house you wouldn't need to worry about all this travling with food stuf :)
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't as cost effective, but I have noticed that there are more healthy choices in airports these days, raw nuts, fresh fruit, greek yogurt among other things.
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I love the babybel cheese but didn't know I didn't it was okay to eat room temp! Thanks!

And I will deff check out that link!

So far I have beef jerky and some pita crackers and I guess the babybel cheese....my home made granola bars are super yummy but too crumbly to take on an airplane lol

And Katie I would love to live with you....but jj would get tired of me I'm sure
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    He would not get tired of YOU, he however might get tired of US LOL!!!! and the lack of "marriage exercise" hahahahaa
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Apples, bananas, nuts, cheese sticks, individual cups of yogurt, and there's always the sandwich
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Look into kale chips. So delicious and super healthy!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You can't take yogurt through security. It counts as liquid. But fruits and a packet of nuts, celery sticks, carrots, etc.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    When I went I took beef jerky, pumpkin seeds, dried mango, and blueberries....but TSA thought they were bullets so they had to search my bag, so I wouldn't recommend that lol
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    Katie : he would get tired of us and Lizzy and I would get tired of leaving the house so you can have sex lol!!!

And thank you everyone for the ideas!!!