How do you get good food into picky children?

Options
stumblinthrulife
stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
The only two lies I tell my daughter -

Santa exists.
There's only tomatoes in the spaghetti sauce daddy makes.

Seriously, it's almost impossible to get her to eat veg. I don't want her to have a bad relationship with food, so I don't force her to eat. I have only one rule around food - you try it when it's put in front of you, if you don't like it, you can leave it. I then will serve things multiple times, hoping that one of these days the old "it takes ten tries to like something" theory will actually frikking work.

What sneaky strategies do you have to feed your kids vegetables without them knowing?

Replies

• sarahmichelle91xx
    sarahmichelle91xx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I hide peas and diced carrots in mashed potato which works for me, also I found making a funny face out of the vegetables on their plates makes it more appealing and they eat it, or you could try having them 'help' cook it, mine always eat it when they have helped.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    My kids are older now, but I recall making a lot of soups which I pureed in the blender. They loved creamy butternut soup, plus cream of cauliflower soup the best, even though they wouldn't touch actual squash or cauliflower.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My grandson (4) is one of the worst. He'll see microscopic things in his food "what's that green thing?" when there's nothing and absolutely refuse to have a single bite. Other than squeezing his cheeks to force his lips apart (which I admit I did once), there's no way to enforce a rule that he has to try a bite. He won't.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld has a GREAT cookbook that teaches you how to sneak good foods into just about everything kids eat.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hunger's good kitchen.

But yes, blending, involvement of food preparation or fancy presentation are all good tactics.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My toddler is the same way...he loves his fruit though, guess he gets that from daddy. So far we've only been able to get him to eat two vegetables, peas and cucumber (no skin)...and even then, it's only a few bites. It took quite a few tries with those ones though. Now I'm working on wilted spinach but he just picks it up with his fingers and gives me an I'm disgusted look and lets it fall back to his plate.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    sorry i'm no help i'm one of those picky eaters will be for life but you can look it up change the tast like sweet potatos my mom found away to make it tast like pumpkin but since i know it was sweet potato to begin with i wouldn't eat it i tried it
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I agree with the hide stuff... some good ideas on this site (but spread out after the first couple :() - http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-hide-veggies-in-kids-favorite-foods_3656348.bc

or depending on how clever your child is.. lie... my cousin would "only eat chicken" so they told her everything was chicken... she would eat beef if they said it was chicken... and I treally hated eggs...bu loved "yellow fluffy stuff" more commonly known as scrambled eggs :P
    x
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My real dad was notorious for sneaking things into other foods to try and get me to eat it. I hated it and I truly believe it made me not trust him OR food (I find that I have to dissect things in order to know what is in them). I would never, ever hide stuff my kids don't like in something else nor would I want someone to do it to me again. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I wish people would stop trying to force picky eaters to eat. It is bothersome. (I have a picky eater child too and I never forced her to eat stuff she didn't want. She took vitamins and we called it even).
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I never tried anything sneaky, but I did make my kids try a few bites of everything served. And I require at least one fruit or vegetable for lunch and dinner.

When they were little, during the summer I'd take them to the local farmer's market and let them each pick out a fruit or vegetable and we'd take them home and make dinner. Maybe it was corn on the cob, apples and grapes, but it's still pretty healthy!

I still try to serve a variety, as we each like different veggies; some of us like them cooked, some like them raw.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I didn't read anyone else response, but I think the best way is to make her a smoothie and put fruit and vegatables in it. Add some spinach, carrots, bananas and blueberries with some vanilla yogurt with milk or juice. That should do the trick, well only if she likes smoothies.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do you eat together with your children?
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My real dad was notorious for sneaking things into other foods to try and get me to eat it. I hated it and I truly believe it made me not trust him OR food (I find that I have to dissect things in order to know what is in them). I would never, ever hide stuff my kids don't like in something else nor would I want someone to do it to me again. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I wish people would stop trying to force picky eaters to eat. It is bothersome. (I have a picky eater child too and I never forced her to eat stuff she didn't want. She took vitamins and we called it even).

ah but... if your child only ate pizza and ice cream wouldnt you have an issue with it?
    x
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am not going to make any friends in this post. But here it goes.

Now there are Deceptively Delicious by Jerry Seinfeld's wife. But I must say stop being a short order cook request at least three bites of a food and re introduce it again a month later. It takes children a while to develop there tastes. Try raw over cooked veggies with dips or salad dressings. Try and remember when you were a kid and the foods you did not really like. For me it was mushrooms and peas. Until an aunt did not boil the peas for an hour. This showed my mom that I would eat if not over cooked.

You could ask her to describe what she does not like about the taste to see if this is a taste thing or just I don't want to eat that. If it is a control thing. Put the plate in the fridge and when hungry try it again.
    Skipping a meal is not being a bad parent make. I know easier said than done. Just try again later. But don't be a short order cook.

I wish you the best.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, don't hide stuff in your kids food because it could lead to disorders later in life.

My son is two and can be a great eater at times (tries foods, eats just about anything you give him), there are times he can be unbelievably picky and will only eat chicken nuggets, or pasta from a packet etc.

I just let him have what he wants in those cases, it might not be the most nutritious, but in the grand scheme of what he eats, it's not that big a proportion. Plus I would rather want my child eating and wanting to eat, than forcing food on my child and putting them off for good.

Although I won't lie to my son, and he wouldn't know if I was given his age, sometimes I just don't tell him what something is. Tonight we had chicken stroganoff and there was cut of red and orange pepper in it - he asked what it was and I just replied with "dinner", so he ate it.

EDIT: I also second the dips and dressings ideas - sometimes I cannot get my son to eat until I put ketchup or heinz bbq sauce on the plate. Sure, that may not be the best anyway, but if he eats his carrots and potatos dipped into a bit of bbq then he'll damn well have the sauce.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And, being a picky eater myself, I do make sure my kids see me eating things that I don't like. But not raw onions or celery. That's taking it a bit too far. ;)

My daughter, however, loves celery, so we usually have some in the fridge!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I certainly respect that sentiment. But it's not like I'm tricking her into eating a meal she doesn't like, or that's harmful to her. She love's the spaghetti sauce I make, simply because her belief that it's only tomatoes allows her to get over the psychological barrier she has against all things green. The sauce is blended, so she's not going to be merrily eating spaghetti sauce and end up chewing on an inch square chunk of celery.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It is true that kids will eat what has been put in front of them. Good or bad! I know a child who eats junk because that is what his family buys and they wonder why he won't eat the 'good' stuff. Another child I know that is 2, tries to steal romaine lettuce from me and begs for oranges when he's here. So,, if they have healthy choices and you phase out the undesirable stuff, eventually they will eat. Like someone else said, puree veggies and add them to soups, sauces, etc. If you have a blender, put spinach in smoothies but don't let them see you do it! The green is easily disguised with blueberries. You can add carrots to almost anything. I put them in chicken salad, tuna salad, pizza & spaghetti sauce (homemade), soups and even bread. Add pumpkin or pureed squash to chili. I also use low sodium V8 in my chili instead of plain tomato juice.
    See a nutritionist. They have a million ideas to help transition your entire family to eat healthier.
    ETA: I should also mention that when I ended up with a 2 yr old picky eater, I would just put whatever I made on all of their plates. If they tried it, good, if not. Oh well. If you make a huge issue out of it, they will be more reluctant to try it. Eventually they grow up and eat EVERYTHING in the house.

Good luck!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have come to the "you will eat it" senerio with my daughter, who is four. She has gotten to the point where she would outright refuse to try anything new (and a lot of times old standbys I know she likes). She now gets a very small portion of the "new" item that she must try...and not just a miniscle bite or lick...she must eat what is given (usually equal 3-4 real bites). If then, she doesn't like it she can have something else (within reason, I am not cooking an entire new meal for her). I am not serving her anything exotic that she shouldn't like...she just needs the push to try things. I have not gotten to the hiding stage yet, but that is coming....very soon.
  • gallagirl05
    Options
    I agree with IronSmasher and others: deception, involvement, and fancy presentation seem to be the keys. I don't have any kids, but I have an almost strictly meat-and-potatoes boyfriend. I've gotten him to try -- and like! -- things he never would've thought to eat before we met. He loves my black bean tofu burgers, spaghetti squash spaghetti, and "Delicata Patata" sauteed veggies, which are all mixing "weird" ingredients into what he already likes. You could also try adding veggies into smoothies. Just watch out for the spinach and kale additions (too much can give your kiddles diarrhea). Good luck!