elliptical trainer

Options
Hi everyone.... I do 45-60 minutes a day on a elliptical trainer. Mostly have it set on the highest incline and the highest resistance. But what the machine and mfp calories are totally different. I am not sure which one to use? My HR usually is around 150-165 the whole
time. Any idears? Thanks

Replies

• mollyturnbaugh
    mollyturnbaugh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to what the machine says (as long as you keep it updated with your current weight and all of that) because I feel like what is given by mfp is just an estimation. That's what I do personally.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? It would be a great idea to get one if you're interested in the exactness of your calorie burns at the gym.

MFP doesn't have any idea what the resistance and incline settings are on your elliptical. If you input your weight and so forth into the machine before you exercise, I'd use that number.

Just as an anecdote, I recently got a HRM - haven't used it with the elliptical yet, but I have with the treadmill. At full incline, the treadmill's calorie burn estimation was nearly double that of my HRM. At a lesser (but non-zero) incline, the estimations were closer (within 100 calories on an hour long workout). So happy I got a monitor! So I'm skeptical of how much an added incline does in terms of calorie burn (although clearly it is good for your muscles to switch up resisitance/incline from time to time).
  • stephiee55
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!!