Beginner's Lifting (Proper Form)

Options
Okay so I WANT to just get over my own brain and venture into the weight section of my gym. Not the machines, the weights. But I’m scared. I know it’s dumb, but the last time I psyched myself up, I was in the middle of my lunges and tipped over (like a cow in the country). I was MORTIFIED and to date have not been back to that section in the gym. In fact I have been glued to the treadmill since.

I also have the distinction of having no friends at the gym, and as a general rule the “trainers” push hard on the personal training…but the last time I did personal training it was more like physical therapy (and in general it looks like that with most of the trainers). They put you on the weight machines and tell you how many reps.
I want to work on lifting, but am concerned about proper form. I can attempt to watch myself in the mirror, but being as I am learning on my own how do I know for sure? This may be a stupid question, but I have searched the forms and didn’t see anything about this (or possibly missed it).

I may need to hire a trainer…but then how do you find the right fit? What questions should I ask? Can you tell them that you only want “X” amount of sessions? What is a reasonable amount of time to learn proper form before going at it alone?

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Bueller.....Bueller??
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I guess for starters you can practice good form at home watching workout videos for that specific exercise. Having a personal trainer is okay but will cost you more than trying to get it done by yourself which is totally doable. Most videos in youtube from Trainers contain instructions on how to perform it with proper form. Not to mention they do show you how it would really look like. Try practicing in front of a mirror at home and see where you need to work on to get that good form going.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for some stuff you can practice those at home without weights to help identify any problem areas. stuff like hip flexibility, inability to maintain a stable core, bad posture, ankle flexibility, etc will effect your lifts and are all identifiable without having to go to a gym .

you can look online for videos from mark rippetoe to get an idea of what type of form you should be having. then give the lifts a go and record yourself. you can link the video on MFP and ask people to give feedback

in person is better because you can have the person give you direct feedback. if you decide to go that route then at your gym ask for a PT who has background in weight lifting. i'm not sure about your gym but i noticed at my gym there are a few trainers who dont know proper form . for instance once was trying to tell me that i was doing deadlifts wrong because my legs weren't straight. when i explained that i was doing a deadlift and not a romanian deadlift dude was just all kinds of confused.

as far as time to learn proper form that's usually an ongoing thing. it takes repeating the movement over and over and over before you get used to it. even after years of performing the same movement there are always things that can be corrected or improved. but in general i'd focus first on learning how to do stuff so you don't screw yourself up :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Have you had a free session with a trainer? If you are new to the gym or have been at the gym awhile you can always ask for one. Usually at this time of year especially they are wanting to sign as many people up as possible so will show you the ropes. This will also give you contact with a trainer so you can ask them questions every once in awhile even if you don't sign up for sessions. Most trainers I know (pretty much all the ones at my gym) will help out anyone in the gym, especially on form, in hopes of them signing up for sessions with them.

I was working out with my friend last night who is the training manager and if she sees people with the wrong form and not knowing what they are doing she will introduce herself and show them the correct form.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    for some stuff you can practice those at home without weights to help identify any problem areas. stuff like hip flexibility, inability to maintain a stable core, bad posture, ankle flexibility, etc will effect your lifts and are all identifiable without having to go to a gym .

you can look online for videos from mark rippetoe to get an idea of what type of form you should be having. then give the lifts a go and record yourself. you can link the video on MFP and ask people to give feedback

in person is better because you can have the person give you direct feedback. if you decide to go that route then at your gym ask for a PT who has background in weight lifting. i'm not sure about your gym but i noticed at my gym there are a few trainers who dont know proper form . for instance once was trying to tell me that i was doing deadlifts wrong because my legs weren't straight. when i explained that i was doing a deadlift and not a romanian deadlift dude was just all kinds of confused.

as far as time to learn proper form that's usually an ongoing thing. it takes repeating the movement over and over and over before you get used to it. even after years of performing the same movement there are always things that can be corrected or improved. but in general i'd focus first on learning how to do stuff so you don't screw yourself up :laugh:

^ gold advice. listen to her! also i giggled at the trainer being confused bit, i love that!! knowledge is sexy.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    Thank you both.

I had a so-so experience with my last trainer. I got really irritated when he would want me to do cardio, and then spend that time on the phone. I learned some stuff but not enough and I didn't really feel like I was getting a whole lot from the sessions.

I might just try movements in front of the mirror. I think the one thing I wanted help with was DL's. But maybe those are more advanced.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    Have you had a free session with a trainer? If you are new to the gym or have been at the gym awhile you can always ask for one. Usually at this time of year especially they are wanting to sign as many people up as possible so will show you the ropes. This will also give you contact with a trainer so you can ask them questions every once in awhile even if you don't sign up for sessions. Most trainers I know (pretty much all the ones at my gym) will help out anyone in the gym, especially on form, in hopes of them signing up for sessions with them.

I was working out with my friend last night who is the training manager and if she sees people with the wrong form and not knowing what they are doing she will introduce herself and show them the correct form.

No, I signed up at LA Fitness and I know I am suppoed to have a free session but I avoided it like the plague because I didn't want the sales pitch for personal training.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    here's a link with TONS of DL videos from rippetoe

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+rippetoe+deadlifts&oq=mark+rippetoe+deadlifts&gs_l=youtube.3..0.1659720.1661383.0.1662088.10.4.0.6.6.0.71.225.4.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.OkSDcbSod1o

this one is a good overview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

but have a look at

you can practice at the gym with just the bar, but look for the 5# bumper plates that set the bar to the proper height .

PS. do yourself a favor and wear long pants on DL day:laugh:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    PS. do yourself a favor and wear long pants on DL day:laugh:

WAYY ahead of you on that one
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Reading your initial post, I was reading MYSELF. I'm scared to death of going over to the weight part of the gym, and I exercise alone since I'm the only one in my area with a weight issue...or the only one willing to admit it. :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Reading your initial post, I was reading MYSELF. I'm scared to death of going over to the weight part of the gym, and I exercise alone since I'm the only one in my area with a weight issue...or the only one willing to admit it. :wink:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting
    :smile:
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Definitely would recommend signing up for a few sessions with a good trainer. That way they can best judge and help you with your form, as well as help you design the most effective workout for your goals. Having a professional there to help you get started and watch your form will also help keep you from getting injured. One of the scariest things for me to watch is people in the gym on weights with bad form; I just worry about them hurting themselves!

As far as questions and getting started with them, have some goals set out for them. This is really helpful in how they design your workout to fit your needs. For example: "I really want to work on toning my legs," or "I want to be able to run further," or "I'd like to lose this percentage of weight over my entire body," etc. There are different workouts with weights depending on what your goal is.

Also, you may want to look at some classes as opposed to hitting the weights by yourself. We have some great circuit-training and boot-camp style classes at our gym that combine lighter weights and motions with cardio so they are really effective. Plus you get the added benefit of making some new friends who can help motivate you.

And if your trainer is less-than-stellar, don't be afraid to speak up! You are paying them a crap ton of money to help you, they should be 100% focused on you and helping you achieve your goals! No phone talking, parking you on the treadmill, etc. Our trainers here are with their clients 100% of the way. If they incorporate cardio and treadmill into the workout, they jump on and run too! Participation is huge, if they're not in it they don't deserve your money. If you're not comfortable saying something to them directly, you can always go down to the front desk and quietly ask to speak to a manager or someone on the side. That's ridiculous for that guy to just ignore you like that.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Bueller.....Bueller??

Odds are the gym trainers don't know either. I watch trainers teach and/or fail to correct poor form on a regular basis, it's rather sad.

Videos:
    - Squating: So You Think You Can Squat (6 videos)
    - Bench Press: So You Think You can Bench (can't remember, 6?)
    - Deadlifting: YouTube search "EliteFTS and Deadlifting" for plenty of good videos. You can also try a search with "Louie Simmons and Deadlifting" or "Westside Barbell Club and Deadlifting" to see what you get.

If you like books get an e-copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. He goes into detail about form on the main lifts.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Okay so I WANT to just get over my own brain and venture into the weight section of my gym. Not the machines, the weights. But I’m scared. I know it’s dumb, but the last time I psyched myself up, I was in the middle of my lunges and tipped over (like a cow in the country). I was MORTIFIED and to date have not been back to that section in the gym. In fact I have been glued to the treadmill since.

I also have the distinction of having no friends at the gym, and as a general rule the “trainers” push hard on the personal training…but the last time I did personal training it was more like physical therapy (and in general it looks like that with most of the trainers). They put you on the weight machines and tell you how many reps.
    I want to work on lifting, but am concerned about proper form. I can attempt to watch myself in the mirror, but being as I am learning on my own how do I know for sure? This may be a stupid question, but I have searched the forms and didn’t see anything about this (or possibly missed it).

www.bodybuiling.com

They have short vidoes that show you exactly

I may need to hire a trainer…but then how do you find the right fit? What questions should I ask? Can you tell them that you only want “X” amount of sessions? What is a reasonable amount of time to learn proper form before going at it alone?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    if you don't wish to ask a trainer, look for the most muscular, ripped guy in the gym. chances are he knows what he's doing and most guys would be glad to help you.
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted about this. As a female we aren't taught in gym (or at least I wasn't) how to properly lift weights or different ways to lift to get the best results. I want a killer back and some upper body strength! Good luck to you!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Look for a Strength coach. They focus on lifting and form, etc. I called my coach a personal trainer and he quickly corrected me! LOL I work out in a small gym in a small town. No matter your size, when they see you coming in month after month, you earn the respect of the gym rats. They aren't unfriendly. They just don't want to connect with people they will only see a couple of times before they quit! I have had several come up and offer advice. Now, I am comfortable asking them. I also know who to avoid! My PT, oops, strength coach has different options as well. I work out with him 1x a week at a cardio resistance circuit. The other days, he has written out 2 lifting workouts for the month. It changes each month. I make notes and record my weights during my workouts. He reviews my notes on our day together and addresses any questions I had. I also find if I tell him something felt wrong, he can pinpoint what I was doing wrong and correct it. My other homework is 2 days of HIIT cardio on the elliptical. It is more affordable than 2 or 3 days with a PT. Bonus is I will have that notebook to reuse once my time with him is up!

New Rules of Lifting for Women is also a great book! The workouts in it are similar to what he gives me. Anyway! Good Luck!! :wink:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is come up with exercises that you think are best to achieve your goals. Search the internet and find a good workout program that you feel will help you achieve your goals, therefore bodybuilding workouts are not necessarily the best thing to do. Once you know the exercises you want to perform, watch vidoes of proper form and practice without weight using a mirror. Next, make your way to the gym, it is best to hire a personal trainer for a session or two just to help with form. Make sure you ask for a trainer with weight training experience and make sure your trainer understands your goals and what you want from the session before you start. If you can find a friend that knows proper form and is experienced in lifting, they will do fine and much cheaper.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I read somewhere on here that LA Fitness "trainers" are not certified by any organization, and are only certified by the company.. so I'd ask about their certifications before I do anything with them.

Anyway, venture in and look to see who knows what they are doing. If they seem friendly, then approach and ask for tips.
    Videos are nice, but I think it's better to have someone there who can give you real time feedback.