How should I best use my gym membership?

Options
I am going there for the first time today and I am excited to get started! I’m currently 5’4” 123 lb. skinny fat. I think my body fat is about 22% but I haven’t had it done since September when I was 25% but I have lost pounds and inches since then so I think it has gone down a little. Anyways, I plan on using the treadmill, elliptical, pool, classes, etc at the gym, but the main reason I joined was to start lifting heavy! The problem is that I have no idea where to start! I have never belonged to a gym before so I have no idea what I’m doing. Where should I even begin? I think I have finally gotten over my fear of bulking up from seeing so many success stories of other women lifting heavy. I have heard a lot about the New Rules of Lifting for Women book, but is that something good for beginners? What exactly is the routine like? I’m also in the process of starting to eat clean”er” and I’ve upped my calories to netting 1500. I really want to be successful at this and I am going to the beach for spring break and want to rock that bikini! My current routine is some form of cardio (running, dance class, HIIT) and pilates 7 days a week, but I’m not really seeing any results anymore. Any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump...b/c I'm in the same boat! Went to gym today and didn't no where to start with weights so I didn't do them. Just a little shy :blushing: to really ask for some help. Is there any books, websites,ect.. To explain all that looks so unfamiliar much help would be appreciated! :happy:
  • JPMuller
    Options
    See if your gym offers a free personal training session to assess what your strength level is. Or, pick a basic routine from a weight training book/magazine and give it a try. Focus on form, not weight! As you get a better sense of what you can do comfortably (to avoid injury) you can push the weight up.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    Hi Ladies.....New Rules is a great place to start. In my opinion..it's a great read with lots of great information about lifting. There is also lots of information here about Starting Strength and Stronglifts. You can google them or search here. Good luck with lifting..you'll love what it does for your health, shape and self esteem!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I recommend exercising using the equipment and services provided at your gym.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like the new rules.....
  • SunshineGirl140
    SunshineGirl140 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used this beginner workout from Cybex. http://www.cybexintl.com/education/fitnesstools/docs/EAGLE_BasicFitnessProgram.pdf

Even though my club has Matrix, I can still figure it out and I LOVE it.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    probably just do the elliptical for as long as possible (2 hours or more). avoid the weights and machines because as a female you probably don't want that bulky look.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    All the guides people are mentioning are good, but I HIGHLY recommend obtaining the services of a personal trainer for at least 3 sessions and preferably a month to get you started. It is a good motivational boost, and they can teach you form much quicker and more accurately than words or even pictures & video.

IMHO, the ellipticals & treadmills are best used for warming up. Cardio is lame.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Google is a wonderful place to start.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used new rules. No matter what program you decide on read the program, find the support group on here to ask about the specifics of the program, and if you are brand new to lifting make a few sessions with a personal trainer to review proper form for specific lifts to make sure you don't get hurt. Good luck, and freaking have fun!!!! RAWR!
  • Claire_x90
    Options
    cut a few Pilates sessions for weights sessions.
    Most gyms have a PT on hand that you can book sessions with if you need help with using the equipment effectively
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5 x 5.

Try out some classes also - they should be free - see what you like and get your money's worth.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    All the guides people are mentioning are good, but I HIGHLY recommend obtaining the services of a personal trainer for at least 3 sessions and preferably a month to get you started. It is a good motivational boost, and they can teach you form much quicker and more accurately than words or even pictures & video.

IMHO, the ellipticals & treadmills are best used for warming up. Cardio is lame.

THIS ^^^

I regularly ask the trainer on duty to show me something new, or to spot me when I am unsure about something new. I REALLY want to hire him for a few sessions to get a personalized plan.

Lately I have only been doing about 15-20 minutes of cardio, and like an hour of strength.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    There is a NROLFW group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Also yo might want to look at stronglifts 5x5 also a group here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

If you get a free session with a trainer use it to have them show your the free weight section and the moves for what ever program you choose. Go in with your workout plan and go through the lifts for both the A and B days. That way you will have seen/done the workouts so its not so intimidating!

Starting strength is another good program - there are a lot of videos on youtube for that program - search on starting strength Riptoe for good videos of most of the moves.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just ask!! Or make some buddies at the gym...I highly recommend that or you won't be using your membership to its fullest!!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    keep up your yoga. Maybe even doing "hot" yoga. It will keep your growing muscles long & lean & different instructors will get you out of your same yoga routine. Try Yoga sculpt, where you do slow yoga moves, holdin poses for 3 min, holding 3 lb dumbells. Its harder than you think. Try Barbell strength if they have one. A class that uses barbells for strength training where you do a gazzillion squats to work the glutes, quads, hamstrings & also liftts that tone shoulders, arms, and tricepts. Most important thing about lifting no matter how you do it is to watch your form, don't hyper-extend, keep your back & abs tight & straight.
    Don't lift same muscle group every day, either. Talk to the fitness instructors, they are more than happy to give you tips, help you with form, show you modifications, etc.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd get someone knowledgeable to show you how to lift properly. Watch youtube videos on form, mark rippetoe is a good one to search for instructions on basic lifts.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    actually go and use the equipment.
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    actually go and use the equipment.

Well, I've gotten that far....
    probably just do the elliptical for as long as possible (2 hours or more). avoid the weights and machines because as a female you probably don't want that bulky look.

If you actually read my post, you would see I want to start lifting.

Does the New Rules of Lifting for Women give you relatively exact instructions? I don't think I can afford a trainer on top of the membership. I'll definitely have to see if they offer a free session for new members.