Raw vegetables and fruit have calories?

Options
I went over my caloric goal for the day but thought I was doing good eating raw vegetables and fruit. I thought that any calories that they had pretty much negates when you eat them. Where did I go wrong?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    they have calories, not much but they do
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Fruit has a fair amount of calories in it. I eat WAY more veggies that fruits because veggies are pretty low in the calorie department.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    They certainly do!

A typical banana has 100 calories.

ONE date has around 60 calories...(I could get through a whole box)

A portion of berries has 50 calories.

Half of a large avocado can have around 180 calories.

Most greens are fairly on the low side...but even an apple can have up to 130 calories depending on the weight!

These are all GOOD calories however, and you needn't worry about them...they should make up most of your daily calories anyway!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    All food has calories. Some are just better for you than others. If you go over eating veggies I wouldn't stress about it.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    All food has calories. Some are just better for you than others. If you go over eating veggies I wouldn't stress about it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    All food has calories.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I try to revolve around veggies because they are not only low in calories but they fill me for longer periods of time. I enjoy fruit but it does have a bit more calories.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fruit and veg are easily digested though because when they are raw they have their digestive enzymes intact so they do wonders for your body. If you went over because of the amount of raw food you're eating then good job.

But I have to wonder, if you didn't know that fruit & veg had calories, are you eating them on a regular basis? Fresh food is not an option in my opinion if you want to be healthy.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    if raw veges had no calories, rabbits, deer and elephants would starve to death.

^^logic
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    if raw veges had no calories, rabbits, deer and elephants would starve to death.

^^logic
    Like this, I do.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    yup all food has calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I went over my caloric goal for the day but thought I was doing good eating raw vegetables and fruit. I thought that any calories that they had pretty much negates when you eat them. Where did I go wrong?

Without knowing what your calorie goal was, exactly what you ate and how much this is impossible to answer. Fruit and veggies have calories, some much more than others but most are the lowest calorie foods gram for gram and rich in vitamins, minerals fibre and antioxidants calorie for calorie. There are a lot of old wives tales and urban myths in nutrition, negative calories is one of them. If you are eating higher sugar fruits and starchy vegetables you need to practice portion control as with any other food.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Food has calories. You just have to look at what those calories are made up of. Are they mostly fat calories? Is the food also filled with vitamins? Is the food high in fiber?

Fruits and veggies have calories. They are also filled with great vitamins. And they are high in fiber. That makes them great choices.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

^^logic

^^wise words
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Is this even a serious question?
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Right? If it is, yes. Food has calories. And IMO over-eating is over-eating, and you should really stick within your calorie goals even IF the food you're over eating is healthy....
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

This^
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Right? If it is, yes. Food has calories. And IMO over-eating is over-eating, and you should really stick within your calorie goals even IF the food you're over eating is healthy....

Yes. Food has calories. The reason you eat fruit and vegetables is for their nutritional content. They MAY help you lose weight because you get full by eating something without a lot of calories, but they still have calories. I promise you that someone can eat ice cream and pizza every day and still lose weight if they stay under their calorie limit.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    not-sure-if-serious-or-trying-to-be-funny.jpg
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    not-sure-if-serious-or-trying-to-be-funny.jpg
    Haha!