hypothyroid? or just not eating enough?

Options
After reading all of those "MFP links to read over and over" I am thinking about bumping my daily goal to 1400 calories.
Now, I don't feel starved, my energy is great and have been feeling pretty good overall, but I'm not LOSING ANYTHING. Seriously, It's been over a month.
I work out 2-3 times a week, do not have a car (walk/take public transport), have a moderately active job, drink alcohol about 2x a week, and eat around 1200 calories a day (give or take a few).

Could this be due in part to my hypothyroidism, or should I just be eating more? :embarassed:

Replies

• queensara2478
    Options
    Do you eat your excersise calories? Make sure you do that and if your still not seeing a change I would recommend talking to your doctor to rule out anything else.
    Good Luck =)
  • sheri3762
    Options
    I went through the same thing...but I was working out everyday and eating 1200 calories. I increased to 1400 -1600 and broke the platue! try it, it may work for you too! I don't eat back all my excercise calories because this is working for me. If I hit another platue, I''ll eat all of them and see what happens. From everything I've read, we all burn differently so don't fret! Just change it up a bit and see what happens! Good luck!
  • sheri3762
    Options
    Sorry, should have said this....I take meds for thyroidism and I'm still losing. Have you ever been checked? Do you have a history of it in your family? I've been told the older you get, the better chances you have to need meds for it. Its not something that goes away. My Doc told me I'll be on it forever regardless of how much weight I loose. Hope this helps a bit!!
  • rajekred
    Options
    Like the others have said, you may need to eat more. If your a little active,your body may not be getting all the calories it needs so its saving any access. Also, what type of work out do you do? Make sure its something that brings your heart rate up to a cardio level. If you breathe easy when you work out, you need to change your exercise routine to something else. You know your working out pretty good when your breathing harder than normal. You shouldn't be short of breath, but it should be a little difficult.
  • brismi
    Options
    I was just diagnosed in November. Went back in January to check my levels, and my Dr. upped my dosage a bit. I feel pretty darn good (which is weird because I didn't think anything was wrong with me in the first place)!

I don't feel starved.
    My energy is good.
    My mood is wonderful.
    I feel like I'm toning up a bit, but I am not losing any weight or inches.

I'm not expecting this to happen overnight, nor have I set any real "goals" or "target dates" for myself (I want this to be a gradual process, and develop life-long habits). Just feeling disappointed that I haven't seen any real results yet. You know?
  • brismi
    Options
    Like the others have said, you may need to eat more. If your a little active,your body may not be getting all the calories it needs so its saving any access. Also, what type of work out do you do? Make sure its something that brings your heart rate up to a cardio level. If you breathe easy when you work out, you need to change your exercise routine to something else. You know your working out pretty good when your breathing harder than normal. You shouldn't be short of breath, but it should be a little difficult.

I work in a music venue, but that will be changing next week when I start a new, office job. I'm wondering how I'll need to alter what I eat after that!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Are you monitoring your measurements? Maybe you are losing inches not pounds right now. :flowerforyou:
  • brismi
    Options
    Are you monitoring your measurements? Maybe you are losing inches not pounds right now. :flowerforyou:

I am. Nothing. :frown:
  • broxtev
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing as you. I have been exercising 5 times a week and following a 1200 calorie diet but I feel stuck. I have lost 18 pounds so far, but it still seems with all I am doing I should perhaps be seeing more results. I have been trying to up calories a bit the past few days to around 1400 to see if that makes a difference, but I am not sure yet. I do love this website as it has helped me be focused and helps me hold myself accountable! I do take thyroid meds also, but still feel like I could have more energy for all I am doing.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and your food and calories were all over the place. I think that can be confusing to your body. There were several days that you were under 1200 calories and didn't drink much water. unless directed to by a doctor you should not go below 1200 or else your body will think it is starving and starts to store a bunch of fat. Also if you don't drink enough water your body retains water. I know that sounds wierd. Another thing is it is important to eat breakfast and spread your calories through out the day. For example 300 at breakfast a 100 snack 400 at lunch and 400 at dinner or whatever works for you. I hope that helps you.
  • farmgirlh
    Options
    After reading all of those "MFP links to read over and over" I am thinking about bumping my daily goal to 1400 calories.
    Now, I don't feel starved, my energy is great and have been feeling pretty good overall, but I'm not LOSING ANYTHING. Seriously, It's been over a month.
    I work out 2-3 times a week, do not have a car (walk/take public transport), have a moderately active job, drink alcohol about 2x a week, and eat around 1200 calories a day (give or take a few).

Could this be due in part to my hypothyroidism, or should I just be eating more? :embarassed:

I am hypo too. First have your levels checked just to make sure you are at a good point.

It took me a long time to lose the weight, I consulted with my dr and she told me to expect to lose about 1-2 pounds a month, to eat between 1300-1500 calories a day that I will stay at that calorie level after I lose the weight and to use my exercise calories as my deficent. So I ended up at 1400 per day it just worked the best for me. I workout 5 days a week for 30 min and I have been maintaining for 6 months now with no problems (unless I am really bad). Good luck!!
  • brismi
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and your food and calories were all over the place. I think that can be confusing to your body. There were several days that you were under 1200 calories and didn't drink much water. unless directed to by a doctor you should not go below 1200 or else your body will think it is starving and starts to store a bunch of fat. Also if you don't drink enough water your body retains water. I know that sounds wierd. Another thing is it is important to eat breakfast and spread your calories through out the day. For example 300 at breakfast a 100 snack 400 at lunch and 400 at dinner or whatever works for you. I hope that helps you.

Yesterday was a BAAAAD example of my diary. I was embarrassingly hungover and could not keep anything down most of the day. Not a typical day by ANY means.
    I do eat breakfast, but sometimes my breakfast is considered lunch. I work odd hours, so my diet is a bit atypical. However, I am starting a M-F job on Monday and will be on a "normal person's" schedule after that. Maybe it'll help.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Sorry I should have asked about your schedule. I hope your new schedule helps.