south beach for vegetarian

Options
I was wondering if anyone was Vegetarian and did south beach or is doing south beach and can give me some snack idea's, recipes and tips.. My sister and i are doing south beach together but she's vegetarian and we aren't really sure what are good meal choices and snack idea's she works full time so would need something can be taken to work or easy to cook. Please help if you can thank you!!!!!

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hopefully Wannabeacullen will chime in here..............

She will need to up her fat intake to do low carb and vegetarian...............but it can be done.

Will she eat eggs or fish? Consume dairy???

If she is open to eggs or fish, there is a multitude of things to fix there..............

Dairy, Fage Total with fresh fruit and some chopped nuts

Eggs 1,000,000 ways to do something with an egg

Nut butter sandwiches (whole grain, nutty breads)

Here is a website that modifies Atkins for a Vegetarian lifestyle, so the same could be done for South Beach as there are only small differences between the Atkins and South Beach Plans.

http://www.atkins-diet-advisor.com/vegetarian-atkins-diet.html
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I tried South Beach phase 1 as a vegetarian, and it was REALLY difficult. In my experience, low carb/low sugar diets are generally meat based, since fruit is sugar laden, and beans+pasta+many vegetables are carb rich. So I basically kept myself to nuts, egg-based meals, and salads made of the approved vegetables.

Phase 2 is MUCH easier for veggies because then you're allowed fruits and breads/pastas in moderation.
  • OlgaGorna
    OlgaGorna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and have similar diet/lifestyle to South Beach diet although I am not 100% sure how is it exactly. Easy to take to work is always pockets of oatmeal and yogurt, mixing it and having great snack. Also ready to go salad mixes, dry fruit.. .
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Here I am!

Beans, eggs, cheeses, nuts. Those were my staples and I just got creative. The newer book "Supercharged" has some pretty good recipes.

It wasn't easy, I won't lie. But google SB recipes and you will find alot. It was much easier when I started finding recipes. I was getting bored trying to come up with stuff by myself.

May I recommend the No-pasta vegetarian lasagna! OMG, to die for!!!

I'll try to find the recipe and post it. Gimme a few................
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    That was easier than I thought. This was so good! Vegetarian or not, you gotta try this!

Vegetarian No-Pasta Lasagna

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
    2 large eggplants
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
    2 tablespoons garlic, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    2 tablespoons dried thyme
    2 cups (4 whole) roasted peppers
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups spinach (optional)
    1 large yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise (optional)
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in skillet and cook garlic and onion until they become aromatic and begin to brown. Add stewed tomatoes and 1 tablespoon dried oregano. Once tomatoes begin to bubble, stir in tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper to taste, cover and let simmer lightly while you continue.

Slice eggplant lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Spread out eggplant on a rimmed cookie sheets sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Salt the slices generously on both sides, sprinkle with thyme, and lightly brush (fingers are fine) with the remaining oil olive. Roast eggplant in oven until tender and slightly browned. If using yellow squash, also roast briefly until soft and pliable. Remove and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven to 375°F.

Meanwhile, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, remaining oregano, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. In a 12x9-inch baking dish spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce. Cover with 3 or 4 eggplant slices, then half of the roasted peppers, and then a third of the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by a third of the mozzarella. Sprinkle half the basil over cheeses, and then spinach and yellow squash (if using). Cover with more tomato sauce, eggplant, peppers, ricotta, mozzarella and basil. Top with remaining eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and any remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 15 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Remove and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
    Nutritional Information:
    354.18 calories
    12.35 g sugar
    18.64 total fat (6.82 g sat)
    67.48 mg cholesterol
    35.4 g carbohydrate
    16.76 g protein
    3.55 g fiber
    754.95 mg sodium
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Thank you i forwarded this to her and hope she trys that recipe!!!
  • steftakacs
    Options
    Thanks for your help with this!