Endurance sports body fat GAIN!?!!?

Options
So, before my very first sprint tri in Sept. 2010, I had maintained 16-17% body fat for quite a few years, but hadn't been an endurance athlete. As of the summer of 2010, my body fat was still 16%. In September 2010 after my first race, my body fat was 18%. The following year in 2011 I did more sprints and 3 olympic distance races, but felt like I was still gaining body fat.

This year I was training for my first half ironman and spent the summer working with a dietitican who had me eating high protein, good fats, fruits and vegetables and low carbs, but she wanted me to eat around 1700-1800 calories a day, even on days when I had 3 or 4 hour long workouts.

So after my half ironman in Sept 2012 (exactly 2 years after my first race) my body fat was 23%. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! Endurance athletes usually have trouble keeping enough body fat!

Since ALL my bloodwork is normal, my doctor thinks it's because I'm not eating enough and if I eat more I can lose weight. Has anyone had this happen to them, or has anyone heard anything like this? It's super frustrating!

Replies

• LauraJane2407
    LauraJane2407 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Thaea,

A similar thing happen to me recently. Since the start of the year I had taken up weights and interval training at the gym during the week and going on one longish bike ride at the weekend (50 to 60km) Doing this my body fat dropped from 30% to 27% which was great. Then this last weekend I went away and did a 210km bike ride over 3 days and had 2 rest days. Just weighed in and my body fat and gone right back to 30%!! I thought I'd had a really healthy weekend away that would help my results but I've gone right back to square one! My trainer advised that my metabolism has slowed right down due to the endurance exercise and is trying to store more fat. Will be going back to weights and intervals to hopefully get my metabolism going again.

I love cycling so definitely won't be giving it up but share your frustration with the fat gains!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    What was your body weight in sept 2010 and now.