new here & GF

Options
Hello,
I'm glad to have found this board. I have tried for nearly four years to lose the weight Ive gained from my GF(gluten free) diet as a Celiac. I have always lost weight effortlessly in the past. I lost 100lbs as a teen, I gained 80lbs with my 1st pregnancy & lost that, then I gained 35 lbs with my 2nd pregnancy & lost 50 lbs which was 15 lbs more than my goal. Now, here I sit overweight & extremely sad & uncomfortable. When I was diagnosed in 2008 with Celiac Disease, I had to change to a GF diet and the pounds came flying...on, not off. I know everything about losing weight yet somehow my old tricks no longer work with my allergy. So, I am hoping that with some encouragement and support I can move on past those 30 bulky pounds I am carrying around. So, its nice to be here & looking forward to talking with you :)

Replies

• couts0608
    Options
    Hey! I know the feeling! I'm on a GF diet too because I get horrible headaches and migraines and a GF diet has helped TREMENDOUSLY! BUT - everyone kept saying "oh I bet you'll lose a LOT of weight on that diet".......uh - no! It sounds like you're in the same boat. I think that it was because I've found all those wonderful GF substitutes for things like cookies, pasta and breads! If I had stuck strictly to a GF diet and not eaten those things I probably would have lost weight but not so. THUS - I'm hoping with MFP I'll be able to get back on track and learn how to take weight off while maintaining my GF lifestyle. Good luck to you!!!
  • gardenlady50
    gardenlady50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also had to go GF about 7 years ago. Yes, it is the GF flours that put on weight. Potato starch, tapioca starch, corn starch, rice flour is nothing but starches and they are fattening. For myself, I limit baked goods and lean more towards vegetables, fruit and healthy meals. I do bake my bread, cakes, etc and try to use more healthy flours like buckwheat, sorghum, teff, etc. although I still use rice flour, tapioca and potato starch for decent baked goods. I probably eat bread two times a week and baked desserts every other week or so. Otherwise, I gain a lot of weight. I hope this helps you. Dark chocolate helps my cravings for sugar and I don't go overboard eating it. Good luck!