Eating back excerise calories...?

Options
Should you eat back all your excerise calories? According to MFP I should eat 1450... I normally burn 500 a day with an hour of cardio... I should eat all 500 back?

Also what if your not hungry and no desire to eat more?

I already go over my protein, cholesterol and sodium almost daily on MFP suggestions and of I ate more those would sky rocket. I'm just not sure on a healthy intake for me. I'm trying to try different foods to keep those down but if I have to eat more. It's going to be impossible. Ha.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm new to this.

Replies

• Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    my own point of view but for me what you burned in a workout is already an extra to the already dedcred calories made by MFP. so if you want to eat what you lost thats fine and there's not much to lose if what you take in is a clean food that wont't much to your maxed macros. i m
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Should you eat back all your excerise calories? According to MFP I should eat 1450... I normally burn 500 a day with an hour of cardio... I should eat all 500 back?

Also what if your not hungry and no desire to eat more?

I already go over my protein, cholesterol and sodium almost daily on MFP suggestions and of I ate more those would sky rocket. I'm just not sure on a healthy intake for me. I'm trying to try different foods to keep those down but if I have to eat more. It's going to be impossible. Ha.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm new to this.

Exercise "uses up" a lot of nutrients. The macros are set to help you to lose body fat healthfully and gradually whether you exercise or not. And most people are happy that they will still lose, even if they eat back every single calorie that they exercised off. Drastic losses invite equally drastic gains when you try to maintain--likely because you end up with nutrient deficiencies. That is why it is important to cut out "empty calories". You can't afford empty calories when you are on a calorie-restricted diet. A 1,500 calorie diet of Fruit Loops and 2% milk will likely cause you to lose weight but, if you survive six months like that, you will probably eat your way back to where you were (plus more) when you go off the diet.
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just had a doctors visit and asked that very question. He said, no. I seem to be losing more weight then he wants me to a week, but he was very happy with my weight loss and told me to keep doing what I have been. I,too, burn around 500 calories a day and do not eat the full 1400 calories he put me on as I don't feel hungry enough to eat that much. (I lost 12 pounds in a month.)
    But I also try to eat mostly good food. I do have a dessert at night if I have any calories left and do not go over any of the nutrient grams given. So, maybe you need to look more at what you are eating and try to change to better "good for you" foods a little at a time. My first two weeks of my diet I just tried to make better choices the first week and the second week I made better choices on what I ate and started exercising 1/2 hour a day 5 days that week. I lost 4 pounds in those two weeks. By the third week I checked out every site that I could on what were the best foods I should eat and I also upped my exercise to 60 minutes. So far I have been losing weight and I am also off my diabetic meds. Good Luck to you , I hope this helps.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your calories low, so that you will lose weight just by your diet alone. Then when you exercise, you need to eat that extra back for fuel.

So, for example, you tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds a week, it is going to reduce your calories by 1,000 cals per day. Then when you exercise, that is further reduction in calories, it creates too much of a deficit and creates too much strain on your body.

To the person who said that their doctor recommended that they not eat them back, the doctor probably doesn't realize that is how this system works, that it is creating the calorie deficit by diet restriction alone.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat them back and read MrsBigMac's blog.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
  • ohhman10
    Options

Jeeze... That's confusing. Lol.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

It's actually less confusing once you figure out your number. Then you don't have to worry about logging your exercise and eating back those calories.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

It actually isn't that confusing if you take some time with it. It helps a lot. The sweet spot blog that was posted is also very helpful.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I eat most but not all of mine back...if I didn't then I'd be starving!!!! Granted I seem to be losing weight painfully slowly (though it is happening)
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    MFP is calculating what your calories should be if you were not exercising. If you do exercise, you will burn more calories which your body may respond to as be starved. What will happen is you may start to gain weight. My suggestion is to eat most of the calories you burn through exercise.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i think people stress too much about this question.

for me, this is the best method.

if im hungry, and i have available calories, regardless of how or why they are there, then i eat. if im not hungry, i dont eat.

your body will tell you if you should eat them or not.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You need to eat if you're working out. If I didn't back most of what I burned off during my daily workouts I'd pass out! I'm also building muscle, burning fat & lowering my body fat percentage: I do not want the muscle to waste away due to nutrient deficiencies.

Quick glance at your diary though: cut out those processed high-sodium, fat & nutritionally deficient foods. Going over in protein or fiber is not so bad, going over in sodium & cholesterol will derail all your efforts.

Get fresh fruits & veggies to replace those quick fixes - even if you get frozen over fresh, it's better than the premade, prepackaged items. Yes it takes time to prepare, but I usually take one day a week or every other week to prep what I need for the week ahead. We all have busy lifestyles, I just ensure that there is always room for long-term health.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Find BMR
    Find Activity
    Use TDEE for activity
    Cut 20%.

Simple stuff.
  • michellekicks
    Options

Find BMR
    Find Activity
    Use TDEE for activity
    Cut 20%.

Simple stuff.

Truth. I just finished 3 months using TDEE method. It was so nice to eat more on rest days :)
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options

if im hungry, and i have available calories, regardless of how or why they are there, then i eat. if im not hungry, i dont eat.

Agreed. This has been working for me.
    Although I do eat clean!
  • michellekicks
    Options

My body tells me I should live on cinnamon buns and wine... it's not trustworthy.
  • goal_digger_2014
    Options
  • goal_digger_2014
    Options

My body tells me I should live on cinnamon buns and wine... it's not trustworthy.

Lol!!!!!