Get With It Guys!

Options
Why is it that the male MFP population think they don't need to watch their sodium? am I missing something? I see sodium levels above 4000 and 5000 everyday. Are they in denial about stroke and heart attacks? What gives?

Replies

• mxtodsi
    mxtodsi Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't think it is only the males. And, in all honesty, had I not sprained a rib muscle and gone to the ER, I never would have known my BP was so high and would probably be still eating the way I used to. That was a wake up call. Believe it or not, a typical day for me would begin with egg, bacon, and cheese on a roll, lunch would be something like two slices of pizza or baked ziti with meatballs and sausage, and dinner of rice, beans, and whatever meat I had. Salads were never eaten, nor was fruit. Snacks were Sour Cream and Onion Chips or some kind of cake. You'd never guess that now, would you? Sometimes it takes a real health scare to get you on the right track.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Why is it that the male MFP population think they don't need to watch their sodium? am I missing something? I see sodium levels above 4000 and 5000 everyday. Are they in denial about stroke and heart attacks? What gives?

I at least look at mine, but am more concerned with it being too low. When I was low carbing (how I lost 70+ lbs) I wasn't getting very much sodium, was drinking a ton of water, and started passing out if I stood up too fast. Turns out my BP was 80/40 most of the time, and on occasion would drop to the low 70s. Even now, eating more "normally", if I skip my morning coffee or have a day without much sodium I run about 90/50. The only time I get anywhere near 120/80 is if I am about to do some public speaking, or I just ran and then picked up something heavy.

The point is, some people don't NEED to really watch it. Did they ask you to evaluate their sodium levels? Or are they posting about having heart problems?
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's just guys. I see it a lot with woman. My family makes fun of me because I'm always careful about my sodium that it's become my thing. :tongue: A lot of times, sadly, it's comes down to money with a lot of my friends. They aren't exactly in denial, but there is a lot of foods that are "cheaper" to buy that contain lots of sodium. And, I find they don't want to admit they can't afford to make the changes they need. So, they either have it high on their diaries or don't even track it under their macros at all.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Maybe they think they're impervious to health issues related to high sodium. Lots of men never go to the doctor anyway. Guess it's a "man thing."
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    We know the sodium secret....do you?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

It is sad because there is recent evidence that high sodium intake will slow down the burning of body fat.
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I watch mine as much as I can. I try to offset it by drinking more water on days my sodium is more then 500 over.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had this friend who is a "I have never been over weight in my life, I am a body builder and the prime example of what a healthy person should look like" type of guy (That's actually how he was=/) anyways he told me how he just eats tons of salt because it doesn't matter because he works out so much. He needless to say is not the brightest crayon in the box. Now that my rant is done, I agree there are people out there who think its perfectly fine to eat a ton of sodium when they don't know what it is doing to their body. I think it is just a lack of education and laziness to change their diet to something a little less salty. =]
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Not very nice to generalize a whole population. BTW, I track my sodium.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Perhaps you should brush up on sodium intake and its affect on health in non sedentary, dieting people.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, potassium and water.
    I drink lots of water.
    I get magnesium and potassium.
    Sodium on high carb days will retain water but keeping in mind that every gram of carb pulls 3-4g of water with it.
    So get used to the what we call the 5lb swing.
    Thats daily water levels rising and falling with the days, weeks, months etc......
    At the end of the week if you havent lost any weight eating what you eat then possibly its something other than sodium.

Thats the secret btw.
    =D
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Perhaps you should brush up on sodium intake and its affect on health in non sedentary, dieting people.
    I go by the A.H.A reccomendations for sodium intake.Being a Nurse for over 30 years I have seen more males come in to the E.R with hypertension, strokes and heart failure than women because women tend to see their physicians more! Sodium levels 4000-5000 daily is serious!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Not very nice to generalize a whole population. BTW, I track my sodium.

You' 're right!My apologies!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I hate sodium and consume as less as possible.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • patfyfe
    patfyfe Posts: 17
    Options
    Just read your reply - what a difference in your diet a pity you had to find out you had a problem by cracking rib, however some good things come from bad.