Normal weight?

Options
First off, I'm not 30 some I just forgot to change the year.
okay, I was wondering how much should a 5'6 tall female weigh?

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    115-155 lbs according to BMI. You can also check out mybodygallery.com, it has great realistic pictures of women at different heights and weights.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm not 30 some I just forgot to change the year.
    okay, I was wondering how much should a 5'6 tall female weigh?

Depends on your bone structure and how much muscle you have. Someone with larger bones with greater bone density will also likely have larger muscles (and muscle and bone weigh a lot). A lean range for someone 5'6" could be anywhere from 125 to 145,
  • mbarryteach
    mbarryteach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and from checking my own weight goals online I found that most sites say I should weigh between 120-135, to be considered "healthy". My goal is 180 though, that will fit me into size 11 jeans again, lol.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and hover around 130, dead center for my height. the range is @120 to 155, depending on build & frame.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Remember that BMI is not individual, its a population index. Based off of BMI, I am considered obese.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and from checking my own weight goals online I found that most sites say I should weigh between 120-135, to be considered "healthy". My goal is 180 though, that will fit me into size 11 jeans again, lol.

I agree---I think that many charts are unrealistically focused on thinness. Those size 0 runway models are NOT healthy.
  • AnandaBjorker
    Options
    Okay phew :) I'm 120 but I still gotta watch my calories. I'm also type 1 diabetic and I tend to eat a lot. But I also have a small frame so...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age and body type.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6" and between 146-152 & 18.6% BF currently (just measured on Thanksgiving Day - talk about motivation to avoid eating everything in sight!). I took this pic this AM, there are other pics in my profile if you need a better idea.

What a few other MFP's mentioned is accurate, depending on bone structure, muscular build & genetics, you could be anywhere from 115 to 150. You need to find your "fit", what you feel you can achieve, attain & more importantly sustain for life.

Sure, I could drop to 130, but there is no way in hell I could sustain that for more than a few months before *****ing the daylights out of everyone around me as I'm practically starving myself. I can sustain where I am now, but I'm building more muscle & shedding fat, which for me personally is more attainable based on my build, composition & genetics. I go by my actual body fat percentage, the scale weight is not as important as my "fit".
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    To change your age go to "My Home" then "settings" and click on "update your diet profile".

I am 5'6 as well, there are plenty of charts out there but some are really old..... Personally I was 165 starting and currently @ 148 lb. I am at a healthy rate now but was apparently tipping into the "obese" category at 165 lb. But really your body frame and type should be accounted for to. For example, some charts said I was obese back when I was 160... what they don't take into account is the fact that genetics gave me a larger bust which (apparently) doesn't want to reduce with weight loss LOL.

Point being, focus on being healthy and you will loose weight. The longer you focus and the more effort you put in, the better results you will get. Plain and simple :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You could be perfectly healthy at a weight higher than 155. Statistically speaking (which is what BMI tells you) people at 5'6" who weigh more than 155 are overfat. But there are people who weigh LESS than that who are still unhealthily overfat.

Your weight doesn't really determine your health, its just a pretty well correlated indicator across populations. I'm 165 (well....after the holidays I'm 170...coughcough) at 5'6" and I wear a size 8, or sometimes a 10. But from what I've seen I'm an outlier for people our height. Most people need to get closer to 155 to size down that small (I'm really...meaty? And good bone density.)

So yeah it'll depend on you as to what a good goal is. But as far as average for women that are really fit and look good in a bikini? Seems to be between 125 and 150 with the most common right around 135-140.