Success with hypothyroidism?

Options
Hi all!

If I am posting this in the wrong section, I apologize. I am wondering if anyone has had success losing weight with hypothyroidism, and if you can share your story. What did you do that worked?

I'm 31, and put on about 30 lbs. in 6 months. Yes, I did eat more and exercised yes, but definitely not to THAT extent. Got tested for hypothyroidism, and will be getting the results soon. I also have been very tired.

Thanks!

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was 240ish when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease which is slowing my thyroid. I don't know...I had been losing weight up until then and then had a cold and the doctor decided to blood test me for stuff. Shortly what I know, I am being prescribed meds.
    I continued to lose, I am at 186. It isn't easier nor do I think it was much harder. I have been maintaining pretty easily.
  • msjessc
    msjessc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and it has been EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. EXTREMELY! I have broken down and have a trainer and she is hypo as well and she will tell you it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT That being said, the Dr has said once the meds are regulated for a yr then it will start to come off. I just can't seem to make it to a yr. Also the scale says I am not losing weight but I am losing inches so I am doing something right. Sooner or later it has to catch up. I am in this to lose weight but to also be healthier. Keep at it, don't quit because even if it is hard you WILL get there if you keep working.
  • weldergirl15
    weldergirl15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroid disease for about 10 yrs now. I was 240ish and have worked my way down to 179. it is not impossible, it just takes a lot of hard work and discipline. I try to eat low Carb and stay within my calories allotted and has worked thus far. I also do plenty of exercising to boot. Not saying this regiment will work for you, because everyone is different including the severity of the disease. There are a bunch of forums and groups on here for people with thyroid disease check them out. They might be able to help you more! Good luck in your fight!
  • dthompson88
    Options
    I've been hypo my whole life, and was diagnosed at two weeks old. As far as loosing weight goes, when I try hard, it falls off. Just make sure your levels are always getting checked and you will do fine :)
  • Tara106
    Tara106 Posts: 10
    Options
    I found the book MASTER YOUR METABOLISM by Jillian Michaels very interesting and it discusses hypothyroidsim, among other hormonal imbalances. I am wondering if there are other people out there who have read and found this interesting/helpful? Perhaps you may as well! :)
  • miskryie
    miskryie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also remember - it is crucial to have your TSH, T3 and T4 tested regularly, like every 6-8 weeks, even after the doc says the meds have stabilized your TSH. Alot of docs only test for TSH - and that is missing a big point of it all!
    Also - everytime I have lost weight my TSH levels change, and my meds have to be adjusted. At my heaviest I was on 150mcg, at my lightest, I was at 100mcg. Your body is constantly adjusting.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    no issues here at all. I have insulin resistance, PCOS, and hypothyroid. i watch what I eat...exercise atleast 6 days a week burning about 300 cals a day...and i take my meds...i dont mess with the meds..
  • Livinglifelovely
    Options
    This was an encouraging post. :happy: Thank you!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you can do it.... it takes time tho..... glad you are noticing the inches.... My scale rarely moves.....but my clothes fit so much better ( or baggier lol) I had cancer 12 years ago.....was well over 300lbs then.... took several years of finding the right doctor and correct dosage to see major drops in weight.... but I did it.... got to 155! and stayed there for 3 years....Fell in love, starting cooking more (and eating more) and working out less.... put on 40 lbs! Slowly working my way back down since may 2012.... only 25 lbs down but went from a 16 to 12 (which are really loose - but the 10's feel too tight) You can do..... carbs are not my friend so I have to be very aware.. I LOVE MFP and the support here.... feel free to add me if you like
  • Livinglifelovely
    Options
    I got tested after I read the book also. The only thing that worked for me was following the Paleo Diet aka Whole 30 religiously. I lost 10 lbs in one month and that was without exercise. I was too lethargic to workout. I did not watch my diet over the holidays so I gained most of it back.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    first you need to get your thyroid in check...medication. In the mean time you need to continue your diet and exercise. Once your medication is balanced you should see results faster than without the medication.

I have have hashimotos for over 17 years...take synthroid everyday...the diet and exercise do work. Keep it up!
  • kymbeez
    kymbeez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with hypothyroidism, if you have it. There is medication that you will be placed on synthroid, levothyroxine, Armour can help get your levels back to a normal range.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2002...after the birth of my first son, just last year I had my entire thyroid removed... so I only have 2 parathyroids...my thyroid was cancerous. I will forever be on my synthroid... A good endocronologist will test your TSH, thyroid antibodies, T3/T4.

Your thyroid is very important, but you can still have a happy and normal life... I lost 56 pounds in 2012, and gained some back as I fell off my wagon, but hoping to lose another 50 this year...

Good luck to you!
  • 0shuna0ma
    Options
    I am just starting to try this - I was diagnosed with Hashi's in '07. Probably had it for years and gained lots, would get it off then slowly gain back (not thyroids fault, at least not all its fault :) When my levels are good, it is easier. As a previous post said, get tested every 6-8 weeks and test TSH, t3, t4. I have switched to Armour from Levothyroxine and like it better. It is a constant experiment! Good luck!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Also, we have a group on this board that you might find helpful. It's all people with hypo/hyperthroidism.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was finally diagnosed hypothyroid (Hashimotos) in my mid 40's about 12 years ago. I have probably been that way most of my life, but I had gotten to a very acute stage. I gained even when I ate nothing but salads, was tired all the time, losing my hair, barely functioning as a human being,and sick all the time.. I walked around in a brain fog and did only the absolute necesities to raise my children, sleeping all the rest of the time. It took a few years to get my thyroid meds right, and they still need to be adjusted as I go through other changes in my life. As for the weight, it took another 10 years and some health scares to get my mind in the right place to lose the weight. It hasn't been easy, but I have lost over 40 pounds in about 8 months and maintaining the loss for another 6 months. I ultimately would like to lose another 8-10 pounds. Getting ready for round 2! Was it easy? Not at first, but it has become a way of life after more than a year. I finally made myself a priority, thinking about what I need and taking the time to plan my food and activities. Am I successful everyday? No, but I am successful more days than not. It comes down to making sure I plan my food so I don't feel hungry within my alloted calories or get low blood sugar, as I also developed type 2 diabetes with the weight gain. I log everything I eat, even if its not pretty and isn't something I'm proud of. That helps me to know what works and what doesn't and to see where I go wrong.

If you are hypo, make sure you find a doctor who will listen to how you feel and not just look at the numbers on the blood work. "Normal" is a very wide range, and you need a doctor who will help you find your "normal". Good luck with this journey!
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I was diagnosed in 1996, after the birth of my son. To top it off, for the last three years I have been gradually falling into peri-menopause and the hormones have been all over the place. But, I've managed to lose a little over 50 lbs in the last year. For me, eating less and exercising more has worked. It was hard , and it is still hard. It came off a lot faster in the beginning, and I've hit a plateau, but I just keep working on it. Hang in there!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Many people are very fortunate in that they start taking synthroid and their thyroid is easy to control. Hopefully you'll be one of those people!

For me it's a constant struggle. I have to eat MUCH fewer calories than all the fomulas suggest I need. I still struggle with fatigue and muscle soreness. Even adding a few body squats to my day caused extreme muscle soreness for days. It's super frustrating because I WANT to do more exercise, but the muscle aches are difficult to deal with. My TSH levels are not well controlled. I've never been able to get them below 2.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to try this - I was diagnosed with Hashi's in '07. Probably had it for years and gained lots, would get it off then slowly gain back (not thyroids fault, at least not all its fault :) When my levels are good, it is easier. As a previous post said, get tested every 6-8 weeks and test TSH, t3, t4. I have switched to Armour from Levothyroxine and like it better. It is a constant experiment! Good luck!

I switched to Armour, too. I changed because I changed doctors due to insurance, but would never change back. I take a very high dose, 180 mg/day (90 in the am and 90 in the pm). I know it is controversial, because it can't be regulated as easily as the man made Synthroid and Levo, but it contains all of the missing hormones -- T1, T2, T3, and T4. I feel and function much better on the Armour. Something to consider if the Synthroid doesn't seem to work for you.
  • CINNAMON77_00
    CINNAMON77_00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sooozie...you mentioned that you lost hair (among other symptoms)....when you switched to armour did it help with that? Did you have any success with any other treatment in regards to hair loss??
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Sooozie...you mentioned that you lost hair (among other symptoms)....when you switched to armour did it help with that? Did you have any success with any other treatment in regards to hair loss??

My hair is still quite thin but my eyebrows are SO MUCH BETTER. Weird. They were always missing on the outer section but now they are full eyebrows!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!