COFFEE!!!!

Options
I wanted to know how bad coffee is for you? My fiancee drinks folgers columbian coffee and I have gotten addicted to it with a lot of creamer and a little sugar. And on the can there are no facts on how many calories are in it. I have a feeling that I shouldn't be drinking it, but it is so darned good. And I drink it when I run out of my Diet Pepsi Max. Which is the greatest soda in the world!!! No calories or anything. Of course I drink my water, but that stuff gets me hyper and doesn't make me crash. But how bad weight wise is coffee for ya?:drinker: :huh:

Replies

• kmjgrant
    kmjgrant Posts: 80
    Options
    I wanted to know how bad coffee is for you? My fiancee drinks folgers columbian coffee and I have gotten addicted to it with a lot of creamer and a little sugar. And on the can there are no facts on how many calories are in it. I have a feeling that I shouldn't be drinking it, but it is so darned good. And I drink it when I run out of my Diet Pepsi Max. Which is the greatest soda in the world!!! No calories or anything. Of course I drink my water, but that stuff gets me hyper and doesn't make me crash. But how bad weight wise is coffee for ya?:drinker: :huh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with coffee (I'm a huge fan), but switch to milk instead of creamer. It does have some benefits if you do not have high blood pressure.
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Strong and Black!!!!!

i gave up the cream and sugar while in the Army.... who can wait for cream and surgar when its cold out side.

MFP lists coffee as something like 4 cals per cup i think. i didnt even stop to look if it added cream or sugar before i list one every day cant imagine it did with that low of a cal count.

I would suggest that you limit your coffee and soda (caffine) if you are also taking any weight loss supplement. most have caffine as one of the main ingredients.

Tim
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    You could EASILY be drinking 100 calories with each cup of coffee when you use creamer and sugar.

Coffee itself is basically calorie-free....BUT....

Sugar is 16 cals per level teaspoon (measuring spoon, NOT silverware spoon)

Creamer (vanilla flavored) is 35 calories per tablespoon, and it's not hard to use 2 or more tablespoons in a cup of coffee :grumble:
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey, one of the biggest immediate changes I made was to start drinking my coffee black. It was tough at first but every day was a little easier and now it's just a thing. :drinker:
  • stilistjen
    Options
    I think you're better off choosing coffee over Diet Pepsi. New research is revealing some strange reactions our bodies have to sweet tastes without calories (i.e. sweeteners). Apparently, it may slow down our metabolism. Definitely lose the creamer. Hydrogenated oils are one of the worst things we consume. Here's what realage.com says further on coffee...

Coffee Talk: Some Surprising Health Benefits
    Written by RealAge, Inc., peer-reviewed by Dr. Axel Goetz, October 2005

One of the best ways to ward off chronic conditions, including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer, is to eat a diet rich in antioxidants. But many of us do not eat the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables—considered superior sources of antioxidants.

So guess where many people are getting their antioxidants instead? Recent studies reveal coffee may be a surprising source. In fact, it is the top dietary source of antioxidants in many populations, including in the United States. Moreover, roasted coffee residues retain their antioxidant ability; it isn't lost in processing.
    Enjoy your java? You're not alone . . .
    Researchers estimate about 54% of U.S. adults drink coffee every day. Countries such as Germany, Austria, and Finland consume twice as much coffee as the United States.

And there may be related benefits to this brew. Although most of the research is in the early stages, studies show that drinking coffee may be linked to some desirable health outcomes, such as:
    decreased risk of Parkinson's disease: A study revealed that men may experience up to a 40% reduction in risk by drinking as little as one cup per day. However, the effects were not observed in postmenopausal women who take estrogen replacement. In this case, coffee drinking may actually increase Parkinson's risk.
    reduced risk of type 2 diabetes: However, this reduced risk is only linked to people who drink excess amounts of coffee, which is not recommended; the risks of drinking too much coffee outweigh this possible benefit.
    decreased risk of liver cancer: Drinking coffee may be especially helpful reducing the risk of liver cancer caused by cirrhosis, a type of liver disease that causes scarring of the liver.
    If coffee does have health benefits, it's not clear what they are from. Coffee contains not only antioxidants, but also caffeine and other yet-to-be researched compounds.

But even if there are clear health benefits to the brew, there are caveats. Although coffee consumption does not seem to raise the risk of cardiovascular disease, research shows that chronic consumption may increase aortic stiffness. Plus, unfiltered coffee can raise levels of blood fats, and excessive caffeine intake may be bad for people who are sensitive to caffeine. Coffee can contain anywhere from 72 to 130 milligrams of caffeine per 8-ounce serving, depending on the bean source and the brewing methods.

So there is give and take with coffee. If you don't already drink it, the recent news about antioxidants is not necessarily a reason to pick up the habit. And for people who already drink it, it's no excuse to stop eating fruits and veggies. Finally, because of the caffeine content, moderation is still the key to enjoying it healthfully.

Your best bet is to eat your fruits and veggies, and try to limit yourself to about one or two small cups—about 8-ounces—of coffee per day. That way you stay within the recommended limit of no more than 250 milligrams of caffeine per day.