With oatmeal talk recent, have a question.

I see there's lots of oatmeal choices at the stores. What is steel oats? I used to eat Quakers quick oats. And how do I do the oatmeal overnight? Add fruits too or wait til I'm ready to eat in the morning to add fruits, etc?

Amy

Replies

• c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Try googling steel cut oats crock pot and a ton of recipes will pop up.
  • DeMimiaf
    DeMimiaf Posts: 33 Member
    I see what steel oats are. Wow lots of recipes. I will check them out. Thanks!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I make fridge oats with the 'old-fashioned' oats. Simplest way is to measure them and an equivalent of milk (I've also used water or soy milk or almond milk). Usually I do 1/2 cup oats to 1/2 cup liquid. They're actually ready to eat in a couple hours so if I forget the night before, I make them first thing in the morning and then they're ready to eat by the time I sit down at my desk at work. I add a teaspoon or two of agave syrup and about 1/2 cup of some type of berries. Sometimes, I chop up an apple into them instead of berries.

I've also sweetened them with a drizzle of honey instead of agave or I've skipped the sweetener and stirred in some yogurt.

Really tasty.

Interesting fact - I first started eating this about 5 years ago. I made no other changes to my diet, it was just a recipe I wanted to try. I didn't lose weight or anything either. But I happened to have bloodwork done around the time I started eating this almost daily, and had a cholesterol check. My cholesterol was actually just fine - but after a year, at my next physical, I had lowered it by about 45 points. My doctor said he figured it was the oatmeal :bigsmile: Not scientific, of course, but interesting nonetheless.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I make 4 cups of Old Fashioned Oats on Sunday and then reheat throughout the mornings. I do 3/4c of oats, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1/2 to 3/4c of frozen berries.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Steel cut oats, with milk/half and half/cream (whatever you prefer to use), some dried fruit, over night in the crockpot = heaven in the morning!

we make this at least once a month, using different fruits each time. soooooo yummy
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    I love Quaker Steel Cut Oats cooked according to the package directions, with the following modification: instructions call for 1/4c oats plus 1.5c water (if my memory serves...) - I throw the oats in a dry pan first and toast over med-low heat until I can start to smell them (cereal smell, not burning), then add 1c water. Simmer uncovered over low heat until the water is almost absorbed and the oats are thick, then add 1/2c milk (or almond milk). Again, simmer until getting thick, then add 1 small pinch salt, 2-3tsp stevia extract (or whatever sweetener you prefer), and 1tbsp peanut butter.

Heaven in a bowl. Especially if you add a few chocolate chips or Craisins as well.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    I see there's lots of oatmeal choices at the stores. What is steel oats? I used to eat Quakers quick oats. And how do I do the oatmeal overnight? Add fruits too or wait til I'm ready to eat in the morning to add fruits, etc?

Amy

Oatmeal can be purchased 3 ways: groats, steel cut groats and rolled. What people consider standard oats is groats that has been steamed and rolled flat. I have found that old fashion 5 minute oatmeal cooks just as fast as quick oats...about 3 minutes in the microwave and I like the texture better.

This recipe can be found in different variations on the net.

Slow cooked apple cinnamon steel cut oats.

Total: ....... cal 1745..
    Per Serving:.... 175

Ingredients

2 Cups - Steel Cut Oatmeal
    8 Cups - Water
    4 TBS - Cinnamon (or to taste)
    2 - Medium Gala Apples
    1/2 Cup Raisins
    3 TBS - Vanilla Extract (or to taste)
    1/4 Cup - Unsweetened Almond Milk for topping

Directions

Spray Pam non-stick in slow cooker
    Peel and chop apples & combine with all ingredients except Almond Milk.
    Slow cook on low for 7 - 10 hours
    Top with 1/4 cup Almond Milk

I start this before going to bed and wake up in the morning with the house smelling like cinnamon!
    Refrigerate and use for the week's breakfasts
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Steel cut oats are heaven in a bowl. Delicious, filling, more hearty than rolled oats.
  • DeMimiaf
    DeMimiaf Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you! I found lots of recipes. Ill try some of them.