Weights vs. Cardio for fat loss...

Options

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for fat loss.

Weights for muscle retention. (We lose muscle when when diet. This is sad.)

Cardio for cardio fitness, and to help maintain calorie deficit while eating more.

^ Another vote for this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Cardio for cardio fitness, and to help maintain calorie deficit while eating more.

^ Another vote for this.

^^ and another

To add - sufficient protein for muscle retention also.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    1. CALORIE DEFICIT is the main contributor to fat loss.

2. Cardio OR Weight Training? It should never be viewed as an OR situation. That is ridiculous. If you do neither then you lose both fat and muscle and when you get to your weight goal you are skin and bones. If you only weight train (providing you are at a calorie deficit) you will retain and tone muscle and lose fat BUT is it important to you to be 'in shape'? Would you want to look good but not be able to run a mile? Look in shape but not be in shape? That is so shallow and will never last. Conversely, do you want to be able to run a mile but then look like Barney Fife naked? You need BOTH!

3. Pay attention to what you eat. It may make no difference in fat loss but will make a huge difference in how you feel and how easy it is to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is best for WEIGHT loss
    weight lifting is best for muscle retention.

How you choose to make your deficit is up to you but cardio does have other benefits as well besides just helping you with your deficit.

edit - I obviously didn't read through all the responses before I posted mine.....Looks like it was already answered well.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Both! I would say that each person has different goals which would determine which one they would focus.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Both! I would say that each person has different goals which would determine which one they would focus.

:flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the hype

For every pound of muscle you gain you will burn an extra 6 calories a day. That gives you about an extra peanut to eat during the day.

For every pound of fat you lose you will burn 2 calories less per day.

I run, eat 2500 to 3500 calories a day, and continue to lose weight.

There are many ways to lose fat. Pick the one that you like to do and that meets your fitness goals.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread! After putting on 4lb over xmas i was a bit lost as to what to do. Im going to stick to a balance of cardio and weights :) hopefully the weight will come off.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options

^ Another vote for this.

^^ and another

To add - sufficient protein for muscle retention also.

Indeed!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    *my experience*

I was a cario bunny for years. I used low weights and high reps for strength training, or simple DVDs like 30 Day Shred. I ate 'okay' meaning I ate low caloric plans with more processed foods (blah) The scale was good to me, I was in shape and fit but my body comp wasn't. I was a size 10-12 and roughly 28% body fat.

Oct. 2011 I started lifting heavy weight with lower reps 3x week. Cardio dropped to 5 miles a week (1 mile trot warm ups) I was able to increase my caloric needs by 30%. Though the scale number remained the same, I dropped a dress size down to 6-8 and am currently 21% BF

Today I eat a more cleaner, dense meal plan on the 40/30/30 macros. I recently had knee surgery, so my workouts are modified but they're still 3x week heavy weights, 2x yoga/core. Once I get the all clear for knee jumping, I will add more HIIT/plyo training as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Don't believe the hype

For every pound of muscle you gain you will burn an extra 6 calories a day. That gives you about an extra peanut to eat during the day.

There are many ways to lose fat. Pick the one that you like to do and that meets your fitness goals.

The 6 calories is the muscle at rest. It understates it as well as does not take into account the energy expenditure of working and creating the muscle in the first place. However, that is not really the main reason for strength training imo.

However, the main issue with your statement is that on a caloric deficit you will lose LBM without sufficient protein and strength training. Losing LBM (or gaining for that matter) has a big impact on body composition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread! After putting on 4lb over xmas i was a bit lost as to what to do. Im going to stick to a balance of cardio and weights :) hopefully the weight will come off.

The weight will come off with the correct calorie deficit. How you chose to reach that deficit is up to you... but be certain, it's about the deficit, not the exercise.
  • melvt123
    melvt123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a Program called Chalene Extreme. It is a weight training workout that you can do at home and I can see results and am more toned after jsut 30 days. It is a 90 day program and most of the workouts are about 35 minutes. I would highly recommend it.
  • plcowner
    plcowner Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. What works for one person may not work for another.

Both weights and cardio are important. For me, eating less carbs and less refined sugar is key in order to lose fat.
  • uscdrj
    uscdrj Posts: 18
    Options
    Weights plus sensible cardio works best. Circuit training, if done correctly in a focused manner, is aerobic activity. Lean muscle burns more fat, even while you are sleeping. Check out this site for calories burned per activity: http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is more body composition training where cardio just shrinks the same proportions you have currently. Cardio does increase certain health aspects, but if you're talking for fat loss it's only a caloric modifier. Weight lifting will burn calories and stimulate muscle growth which is effective fat loss + more muscle burns more fat.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Everyone should do Cardio, if for nothing else than for overall fitness. :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the hype

The 6 calories is the muscle at rest. It understates it as well as does not take into account the energy expenditure of working ad creating the muscle in the first place.

However, the main issue with your statement is that on a caloric deficit you will lose LBM without sufficient protein and strength training. Losing LBM (or gaining for that matter) has a big impact on body composition.
    Losing lean body mass is not my experience. I lost 30 lbs and dropped around 15% in in bodyfat from around 25% to around 10%. Since I started at 205, 15% of that is 31 lbs. That tells me that there was negligible, if any, loss of lean body mass. No weights, running only, smart diet. No loss in strength from before to after.

Either I am special or the hype surrounding loss of lean body mass is exaggerated or the people that lost a lot of lean body mass had poor diets and poor aerobic training guidance.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    try them both.

Light cardio 8-15 minute warm up (light jog)
    30-45 minutes weight lifting (compound exercises)
    End with a 15-20 minute run.

Win Win situation
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Don't believe the hype

The 6 calories is the muscle at rest. It understates it as well as does not take into account the energy expenditure of working ad creating the muscle in the first place.

Losing lean body mass is not my experience. I lost 30 lbs and dropped around 15% in in bodyfat from around 25% to around 10%. Since I started at 205, 15% of that is 31 lbs. That tells me that there was negligible, if any, loss of lean body mass. No weights, running only, smart diet. No loss in strength from before to after.

Either I am special or the hype surrounding loss of lean body mass is exaggerated or the people that lost a lot of lean body mass had poor diets and poor aerobic training guidance.

How did you estimate your BF%?