Trying not to snack at night

Options
This is day two of using this site, and I really like how it works. I hope I can actually stick with it. I find it is easy to eat healthy during the day, and I like the gym. My down fall is night time eating. I have to admit even now I am really hungry. Perhaps I'll learn to go to bed earlier to solve this issue (or not) but for right now I'm not giving into snacking. My husband is not on board with my new healthy diet, but he is really supportive of whatever I do. He has been good not to snack in front of me last night or tonight. I hope this no snacking at night gets easier....

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    There is some stuff that says eating later at night is worse for you, but as long as it's around 3 hours before you go to bed then it should be fine if you're still at or under your calories and macros.
    I don't get very hungry during the day because I'm doing stuff, so I have my meals and maybe a snack, but I workout at night and I'm always hungry after my workout and I always have a decent amount of calories left (usually haven't even eaten 1200 yet (not net, just calories eaten) so I eat at night. This is because I'm on break though, but I mean, just try to keep it to a couple hours before bed and drink lots of water also
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    Do you have calories left? Eat them if you are hungry. I am having some greek yogurt right now, then off to bed. It really doesnt matter what time it is unless eating before bed interrupts your sleep in some way. Save some calories fromthe day so you CAN have a snack at night. Depriving yourself is a recipe for failure.
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes save calories so you can eat at night. Also make sure your getting enough protein and fiber because it will keep you fuller. Or have like ice pops...something that doesnt have alot of calories in it, just enough to mask you craving.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do you have calories left? Eat them if you are hungry. I am having some greek yogurt right now, then off to bed. It really doesnt matter what time it is unless eating before bed interrupts your sleep in some way. Save some calories fromthe day so you CAN have a snack at night. Depriving yourself is a recipe for failure.

Agree with this completely. There was a time when I was waking up in the middle of the night hungry! It was also suggested to me that if I have the calories eat them up or save some for before bed. At those times I would eat something like fruit/vegtables/yogurt etc.
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is some stuff that says eating later at night is worse for you, but as long as it's around 3 hours before you go to bed then it should be fine if you're still at or under your calories and macros.
    I don't get very hungry during the day because I'm doing stuff, so I have my meals and maybe a snack, but I workout at night and I'm always hungry after my workout and I always have a decent amount of calories left (usually haven't even eaten 1200 yet (not net, just calories eaten) so I eat at night. This is because I'm on break though, but I mean, just try to keep it to a couple hours before bed and drink lots of water also

I think I will try to save some of my calories for a late evening snack tomorrow (that is planned for three hours before I go to bed). I definitely need to increase my water intake which will be a new goal for tomorrow. Thank you for the advice.
  • Panda307
    Options
    Pops are a great idea, and I will have to try the greek yogurt. Thanks for the tips I will be using them!
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    For me it tends to be a habit thing more than anything. I rarely watch TV, but I work on the computer all night. If I start getting late night munchies, I'll drink some water and then have a glass of hot tea with Truvia for zero calories. That has been satisfying me so far, since I wasn't really hungry in the first place.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can snack too....I eat usually sliced apples and 2 tbsp of peanut butter...or banana and peanut butter... I like the options of the apples because the fiber helps me feel full.... But I snack late at night...just have to be choosy... Good luck!!
  • SmilesIowa
    Options
    This was day two for me too, and I'm trying not to snack late at night either. I've been realizing that I ate a lot more frequently then I thought I was, so it's been tough. I've just been distacting myself with things so I don't eat. Let's hope the cravings get better!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's challenging to live with people who can eat late at night and not put on weight. My husband loves his midnight ice cream :ohwell: I try not to eat three hours before going to sleep. Brushing teeth early helps me, after that it's drinks of water only. I do wake up quite hungry in the morning.
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    I was a bit of a night eater as well. I am not fooling myself in thinking I am over it but I believe I am better now then I was. I added a bit more protein into my diet and generally try to fill up on veggies with dinner and that tends to last me through to bed time. feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First - you might do better if you try and break your meals down to five or six times a day. Of course if you are an insulin dependent diabetic you have to talk with your doctor or endocrinologist about that first. Otherwise you will need to stick to the three to four meal schedule like I have to do.

Second - at night (or just make it part of your normal schedule) a cup or two of tea can fill you p very quickly. Another thing that helps and is only about 80 calories is an apple eaten an hour or two prior to bedtime. Apples are very filling and they will also keep you full.

The worst thing you can do for your weight loss journey is to deprive yourself of food. That just sets you up for a huge failure. However that doesn't give you carte blanche to just go and binge. You have to plan your menus or what you eat. So if you are going to a party and know you will be hitting the chips and dip bowl - make sure you have left plenty of room for that. The same goes for snacking at night. Just leave enough calories to get you through the night and you will be fine.

Good luck.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Eat a little later than you normally would. Normally I get home at 4:50 and start dinner right away, but last night I didn't start until 5:45. Then you're eating just a little later, and then once you are starting to get that snacky feeling, either have healthy snacks around or drink tea! That helps me feel more full.
  • Trich25
    Trich25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think it's okay for you to have a little snack at night, but it depends on what you're snacking on. Try eating some protein (ex. few slices of turkey and some string cheese) or something with fiber (ex. fruit or oatmeal w/ fruit), it will fill you up and won't weigh you down or jeopardize your health goals.
  • vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nighttime is my snack time also. I am going to save enough calories to snack at night reasonably. I'll let you know if it works.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I can eat well during the day but at night I get bored and snack. I have to get myself more motivated in the evenings so I don't snack. My wife likes to eat as well and so that does not help me either.

Cutting out snacks altogether might not be the best answer, but make sure you are eating healthier snacks.
  • sallywillis
    Options
    im having that problem i get bored at night and eat need to find something to take my mind off food
  • ppotoch
    ppotoch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It's not a hunger thing, it's a boredom, habit thing. And for me, it's more than "snacking", it's more like grazing.
  • pinelandsjane
    pinelandsjane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too, Day 6 for me, and this is my biggest hurdle also! I was fine for the whole week so far but then last night I went over my calorie amount. The replies here are very helpful and I'm going to do better next time. This is about lifestyle change and learning. I'm glad that i learned a trigger for over eating and understand why it happened: I met with a friend last night who I really care about who is going through a difficult time. I'd been happy all week about MFP and looking forward to a healthier 2013! I was encouraging to my friend, but when I came home tired and wishing this person were not so depressed, I wound up over eating. The trigger was feeling bad about something that I cannot change for a person that I care about. Solution: Remember to focus on what I CAN change and what I already am changing every day, and PLAN for bumps in the road. :)
  • Panda307
    Options
    Hi Pinelandsjane I feed my moods too! I'm one of those people who likes to eat when I'm happy and um I'm a rather happy person, so not so good. I think knowing that we are like this will help us the next time we are feeling really good or bad to not just give into unnecessary eating. Another thing I have to figure out for me is a work out schedule for my ever changing life schedule. Last Jan I joined my gym and was doing great. By April I was feeling good about my body even though I hadn't lost any weight. Well once summer hit and my work schedule changed I fell out of the habit. Now I feel I have learned from this and I am planning how I can keep up my workout routine even when my schedule changes throughout the year. Good luck to you tonight. I'm going to try the popsicle idea someone gave me!!