Les Miserables. I've seen it twice already.

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
Did you love it like I did? Please keep your comments general, or post spoiler alert in your comment. There were some things I didn't like, but many surprises that balanced it out. I was nervous about the big name Hollywood stars taking on such amazing music, and doing it LIVE, but for the most part I was pleasantly surprised in their musical abilities. I was already a huge fan of Jackman, but he even surprised me.

What say you?

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I thought it was great. Anne Hathaway was amazing.
  • karrlove1020
    Options
    I can't wait to see it! It looks amazing...my family won't let me see it without them!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Still torn between if I liked Russell Crowe's Javert, Jackman's performance was incredible though.
  • c2sky
    Options
    How about Eponine and Marius? I expected Eponine to be great, since she did it in London and sang on the 25th anniversary, but Marius blew me away on "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables". I never cared about Marius during the stage productions I saw, but this Marius played it just right and sang beautifully. I loved ALL the students. I loved young Cosette. I loved the appearances of the incomparable of Colm Wilkonson. Amazing. I still want to see it again.
  • c2sky
    Options
    I can't wait to see it! It looks amazing...my family won't let me see it without them!

My kids came all the way from out of state, and came and saw it with me. That movie is the reason I had my kids for Christmas this year. We all saw it together, and we all loved it. Then I went and saw it with friends. What a refreshing change from most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood in the last few years.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I've known the music forever (my mom's a singer) but I had never seen the songs done in the context of the storyline. I went in not even really knowing what the story was about, other than that it was set in France.

I'll still say that I enjoy the music by itself more. The actual film was brilliantly shot and wonderfully acted/sung, but it's quite a marathon to sit through.
  • Love.

Anne Hathaway made me ugly-cry (that happens a lot, though. I'm so in love with her that sometimes I just see her face and burst into tears because it's so perfect.) And I LOVED Aaron Tveit. I was half expecting Enjolras to come back and sing "I'm alive, I'm alive, I am so alive!" but he didn't. (If anybody understands that reference, I will kiss you on the mouth.)
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My Brother and I saw it in Gold Class here in Australia. I've seen it twice and my Brother 3 times. We absolutely loved it! I've since bought the soundtrack from iTunes.

You could tell that Russell Crowe isn't classically trained vocally, but I felt his performance needed something more raw anyway, so I think he did a great job. Anne Hathaway....oh my god....she was phenomenal. I cry every time she sings I Dreamed a Dream. I cry when I listen to it from the soundtrack.

I'm obsessed with Hugh Jackman (he's Aussie like me, hooray!) and thought his performance was outstanding. Light and shade of his storytelling through his voice was fantastic and I could just listen to his voice all day.

Highlight: Samantha Barks as Eponine. That young lady is downright so special, this movie will skyrocket her career enormously.

Overall - I thought it was brilliant. I definitely will be buying the DVD as soon as it comes out.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Marius was amazing! I couldn't take my eyes off him! I enjoyed it overall - thought it was a well done production and the singing was fantastic.

Sidenote: I was trying to remember why the actor who portrayed Marius was familiar....he was in "My Week with Marilyn".
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to wait to see it. Gonna wait on DVD/Blu-Ray so I can watch it at home. I'm a big fan of musicals. I loved Phantom of the Opera when it came to the Theater.

JM
  • c2sky
    Options
    I heard an interview from they guy playing Marius (Eddie Redmayne) that his agent told him about the upcoming film version of the musical. He had first seen it on stage when he was 7. Eddie was on a set dressed as a cowboy when he was called about Les Miz. He went to his trailer, still in costume, took his iphone, and recorded himself singing a song from Les Miz. Then he sent it on to his agent. He said the audition process that followed was long and grueling. But they did well casting him.

Thanks for your comments, btw. I hope to see more. This has been my favorite musical for years. And I have always loved Hugh Jackman. (check him out in the video of the stage version of Oklahoma. He makes the sexiest Curly ever) Anyway, I was still nervous when they put this movie together. Was skeptical that they would change too much, or that I would not like the voices in the music. Some critics have complained, but I really loved it. Sorry to gush so much.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    LOVED it. I saw it last Friday and I've been singing "Do you hear the people sing?" ALL week! lol!

I developed a crush on Enjolras in the movie!! lol
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Saw it twice, loved it both times. I had worries about some singers' voices the first time around, but had no problem the second time. And all the acting was wonderful! Even if the singing may not have been broadway caliber, it is HARD to sing and be emotional with a camera on your face. Broadway actors have the luxury of having space between them and the audience. Crying while singing has to be one of the hardest things a performer can do.

Btw, my fav character from the play is Enjorlas and the guy playing him in the movie is so dreamy :love:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Saw it twice, loved it both times. I had worries about some singers' voices the first time around, but had no problem the second time. And all the acting was wonderful! Even if the singing may not have been broadway caliber, it is HARD to sing and be emotional with a camera on your face. Broadway actors have the luxury of having space between them and the audience. Crying while singing has to be one of the hardest things a performer can do.

Btw, my fav character from the play is Enjorlas and the guy playing him in the movie is so dreamy :love:
    He is dreammyy!! lol! I said the same above....well that I had a crush on him!! lol!
  • Saw it twice, loved it both times. I had worries about some singers' voices the first time around, but had no problem the second time. And all the acting was wonderful! Even if the singing may not have been broadway caliber, it is HARD to sing and be emotional with a camera on your face. Broadway actors have the luxury of having space between them and the audience. Crying while singing has to be one of the hardest things a performer can do.

He is dreammyy!! lol! I said the same above....well that I had a crush on him!! lol!

I looove me some Aaron Tveit. He's adorable (plus, he was in the original cast of Next to Normal, one of my all time favourite musicals.)

tumblr_lh1b6dSVC11qzg1r7o1_500.jpg

HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT INSTANTLY FALL IN LOVE?!
  • c2sky
    Options
    wow...Aaron Tvevit....and they say musicals are for wimps. Did you hear how Hugh Jackman said his training for this role was tougher than training for Wolverine.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    OMG....I'm in love with Aaron Tveit. He's just gorgeous.....though Hugh will always be my number 1.

Yeah, I'd also heard that Hugh said the training for Les Mis was far more intense than that of training for Wolverine.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I was so happy that they added in more details from the book, which made it slightly disappointing that they didn't go for the ending from the novel. For example, they really played up the whole, "Marius is a doofus" thing. It really made me appreciate things I missed earlier.

I thought Cosette was poorly cast, though. Her voice wasn't right for the music.
  • timaeus_drache
    timaeus_drache Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Russell Crowe ruined it. I'm a huge fan of the musical and I don't think I'll ever see the movie again because of his performance.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i loooove Les Miserable. Havent seen the new movie though. Such beautiful music! <3