Fattest Man in the World Loses 600+ Lbs!

Options
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4724274/worlds-fattest-man-sheds-45-stone.html This story is amazing! We can do it as well! Rock on! Work out! Eat well! Be the you you want to be! God bless you all!!!

Replies

• Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    20,000 calories a day!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i'm pleased for him but can't see the part where he did any work for himself, he had surgery (at the taxpayers cost) and is now physically unable to overeat. If he'd done it via sensible eating and exercise i'd be more impressed.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Leave it to the Sun to go for the "Wind Beneath My Wings" caption.
  • While I'm glad he got help as he very obviously was suffering with an eating disorder, he isn't inspirational to me at all. There is nothing motivating about someone gorging themselves until they cannot move, and then getting surgery to get them out of that predicament. HE didn't lose 600+lbs, the surgery did it for him. Why don't the people that have lost 150lbs through healthy eating and exercise have their photos in the news? THAT'S inspiring.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i'm pleased for him but can't see the part where he did any work for himself, he had surgery (at the taxpayers cost) and is now physically unable to overeat. If he'd done it via sensible eating and exercise i'd be more impressed.

Agreed. Tbh, how people on benefits can afford 4 portions of fish and chips, 2 kebabs and a roast dinner for ONE meal is beyond me. I always buy chat magazine when it had mega sklimmers on the front for motivation, and i'm always gutted when i find out it's a gastric bypass. There's no willpower involved. And he's not a one off, in the past 3 months alone i've met 4 people who have had weight loss surgery on the NHS. I think it's unfair. If you can afford the food, they could afford support, weight watchers, therapy, the gym, all the above.
  • marcelka77
    marcelka77 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    is it just me who feel upset about his fight for cosmetic surgery and costing tax payers 3000 to get his excess skin removed??? ..... why he doesn't go back to work and save up
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, amazing read!
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    Thats pretty freakin awesome man!
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    Looks like he's blamed everyone but himself. People like that don't deserve recognition.And now he's suing the NHS for "letting him grow?" ***** please.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Wow, costs to the NHS of around £1 million so far and it is likely he will be having cosmetic procedures in the future to remove some of the skin also.

It is great that the NHS is here to save lives, including his but I can't help agreeing with this:
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty impressive achievement, but I saw a documentary on this guy and he didn't come across very well, quite selfish infact - ie, constantly demanding NHS pay for everything (ie, his food, care workers - that is his 'feeders' to shovel junk in his mouth and wash him), whilst exerting no effort to change his situation.

Surgery is not an easy option, but unless he gets to the psychological reasons why he got so bad, he will just balloon back up again.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I had surgery as a tool with my weight loss but i paid for it myself no help from anyone..and even though he did have surgery; his eating habits are still there the surgery didnt rid him of that... so im pretty sure hes still overeating and hurting himself...im happy hes lost weight and is a healthier man..
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I saw the pic of this guy yesterday. Kudos! My question in this cases of huge people is who is helping them buy their food too -- it seems like abuse at this level.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't think gastric bypass surgery should be allowed.

All the dangers of starvation and 'starvation mode' still apply if you have your stomach size reduced, you are still a human being with the same nutritional needs. It is like losing weight but then acquiring all the health problems of an anorexic, without the mental illhealth of anorexia.

It is so dangerous long term.

And SO ****ing unnecessary & lazy :grumble:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of this country, people have it too damn easy. The NHS shouldn't have helped him.
  • dthompson88
    Options
    What's amazing to me is when people realize they've gone too far with their weight (before being immobile), and loose weight through diet, exercise, and hard work. This really doesn't "wow" me at all. Although I am happy he has a new start to his life,how does one let themselves get that far? Having surgery is also a tough battle, mentally. They are VERY limited to their caloric and sugar intake, and will be on supplemental vitamins for the remainder of his life. Using tax payers dollars is ridiculous to me, just my opinion though.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    still nothing compares with what edavenport (not sure if I spelled his username right) did. he is the man who lost 311 lbs. and posted his success story here on how he went from 500+ lbs. to a lean 200+ lbs the healthy way w/o undergoing surgery (except later but it is just to remove loose skin).
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    What's amazing to me is when people realize they've gone too far with their weight (before being immobile), and loose weight through diet, exercise, and hard work. This really doesn't "wow" me at all. Although I am happy he has a new start to his life,how does one let themselves get that far? Having surgery is also a tough battle, mentally. They are VERY limited to their caloric and sugar intake, and will be on supplemental vitamins for the remainder of his life. Using tax payers dollars is ridiculous to me, just my opinion though.
    A lot of people who have gone that far had a binge eating disorder and just like anorexia & bulimia, the problem is beyond food intake and everything to do with mental issues. Never judge anyone til you know the very root cause.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I didn't rad the whole story.. just skimmed it while I was working, and then posted it. I should not have posted this. He is a doucher.