Exercising on a full or empty stomach?

Options
Hey all! I have a question for you.

For the longest time, I was told that you shouldn't exercise after eating because it is likely to cause indigestion and cramps. And I've experienced these cramps if I work out (especially running) too soon after eating.

But today, I was reading some of Jillian Michaels' weight loss ultimatums, and knowing her record as a trainer and having done quite a few of her workouts, I feel like I should trust her. BUT, one of the ultimatums was that you should never exercise on an empty stomach because you will burn more muscle than fat.

I'm just slightly confused. I always eat something after a workout. Always.

What do you guys think? I've been looking around online and have found SO many mixed reviews, I thought I'd pose the question here to the people who are in the same boat as me. :)

Replies

• justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've heard that you should have a light snack around 30 minutes before you work out.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    She's spouting nonsense.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    She's spouting nonsense.
    Indeed she is.

To the OP, you can eat if you want. Don't make the mistake in thinking that training on an empty stomach will burn more fat.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I always usually work out before I eat breakfast in the morning, otherwise I would run out of time before work.

I have also heard that if you do light exercise after eating dinner/large meals that it can offset the insulin response as you're burning the energy instead of storing it.

I think as long as you are getting exercise in anytime of the day it will work out fine :)
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    As a long distance triathlete, not only do I eat before I exercise, but DURING exercise as well. There is no way you can race an endurance event without it and perform well.

That being said, it's a matter of finding out what works for you before exercise.

Most people seem to be fine with something light, say a granola bar, oatmeal, a shake etc. whereas steaks, burritos, spicy foods etc. might not sit too well.

Each body is different and you may find different tolerances for different nutrition pre-workout.

That being said, if you eat TOO MUCH then blood will collect around your stomach to digest the food, and take away from your workout.

Good luck.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    As a long distance triathlete, not only do I eat before I exercise, but DURING exercise as well. There is no way you can race an endurance event without it and perform well.

That being said, it's a matter of finding out what works for you before exercise.

Most people seem to be fine with something light, say a granola bar, oatmeal, a shake etc. whereas steaks, burritos, spicy foods etc. might not sit too well.

Each body is different and you may find different tolerances for different nutrition pre-workout.

That being said, if you eat TOO MUCH then blood will collect around your stomach to digest the food, and take away from your workout.

Good luck.
    Weight training and light cardio is vastly different than long distance triathlete. As an advanced athlete you require a different protocol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    She's spouting nonsense.
    Indeed she is....
    ^ What they said. Google "Intermittent Fasting" and/or "Leangains" - there are plenty of people who train fasted and are getting good results. I'm not into it myself (for reasons of personal preference/dietary adherence), but there's no denying that it works for some people. There's nothing magic about it, but their muscles certainly aren't falling off their bodies any more than somebody who trains in a fed state, and vice-versa.

Eat/train according to your personal comfort level. I don't like lifting on an empty stomach, so I have a snack of some kind an hour or so before my workout.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options

Weight training and light cardio is vastly different than long distance triathlete. As an advanced athlete you require a different protocol.

The OP never specified weight training exercise only for one, in fact the OP did mention running specifically.

I didn't start out as an advanced athlete, I started out as an average joe, but followed the same guidelines and they worked.

I started out doing weights and light cardio specifically to get my aerobic base up and strength up while losing a tonne of weight after a bad accident where I had to get hip surgery to insert multiple rods into my femur. The same guidelines worked then as well as now.
  • AntWrig
    Options

The OP never specified weight training exercise only for one, in fact the OP did mention running specifically.

I didn't start out as an advanced athlete, I started out as an average joe, but followed the same guidelines and they worked.

I started out doing weights and light cardio specifically to get my aerobic base up and strength up while losing a tonne of weight after a bad accident where I had to get hip surgery to insert multiple rods into my femur. The same guidelines worked then as well as now.
    I was addressing her concerns everyone else who has thought about exercising on a full or empty stomach.

Ok, you followed the same guidelines. Good for you.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It's all about experimenting (endurance or not--I've been both kinds of exerciser). For me, I do best if I eat something kind of carby, but not too heavy (like a small amount of oatmeal with a small amount of PB). An empty stomach kind of makes me feel dizzy (since I like to push pretty hard). And tonight I had steak right before my workout--I wouldn't say it hindered my performance, but I definitely felt like I had rocks in my gut. I won't do that again! :laugh:

Edit: in regards to endurance training or not, I actually find that the same exact pre-workout thing works for me. The only difference with endurance training is that I continue to eat every 45 min-1 hour. In case anyone was interested :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Although this comment could be taken as misplaced advice of recommending an advanced athlete's glycogen loading to a relative newbie, it could also be seen as an example to refute that eating on a full stomach is not recommended, which the OP did indeed mention.

As Fitnesssocial said, don't get carried away thinking that exercising on a full stomach is necessary (and don't start thinking empty stomach workouts will aid fat loss).

As dfquigley says, don't think exercising on a full stomach will cause cramps (although the food needs to be eaten enough in advance to actually benefit the exerciser with nutrients rather than just make them feel uncomfortable).

The important thing to take away is that JM is talking nonsense.
    There are very few 'ultimatums' in health and fitness, and plans and approaches need to be correctly tailored to the individual.
  • tyraun_b
    Options
    I've done the working out on a empty, as well as the working out with something in my system before i trained. i can't speak for anyone else....but when i have something in my tank, i feel alot stronger and i have alot more energy. i started taking a clean mass gainer shake that contains 430 calories per serving (3 scoops). it has healthy fats, good protein and a bomb *kitten* carb blend. and it tastes good as hell. i usually workout around 3-330 p.m. so i will have this shake at 1p.m. i also have a pre-workout drink right before working out, so by time i am actually warmed up and digging into those damn weights i am fueled up like a got damn machine!!! that 2-2 1/2 spread has worked good for me. so i am a avid believer that yes you should have something in your tank before workoing out. just try to space it appropriately.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I won't work out unless it's been at least an hr/ hr & a half since I've eaten
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always workout an hour to and 1 1/2 hours after dinner. Or if it is a work night, after my midnight lunch.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well, the point is to actually accomplish something in your workout, not flail through, and you need energy for that. I don't think empty or full affects fat loss anywhere near enough to change what's working for you, if it's working for you.

Personally, my workouts are always better when I've had a properly filling meal about 1-1.5 hours in advance. (I am a LION when it's steak.)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you are an elite athlete then take advise from the support team around you.

If you are getting fit for general purpose do what you feel most comfortable doing, the small benefits from micro managing your training to best suit factors other than your comfort are more than likely to be outweighed by the benefits from exercising in a way you feel most comfortable.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have my best runs after IF but a lot of people find they run out of energy

I have stomach problems if I've got anything still need digestion so I prefer empty stomach. I carbo load 10-12 hours before a run
  • emmyloulikenew
    Options
    I never eat straight before a workout. Usually 1-2 hours after I've eaten I'll workout, but by the time I'm done exercising I'm usually ravenous so 99% of the time I'll eat something straight after. :laugh:
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you can put energy sources in your tummy (protein shakes, carb drinks, etc) that don't have the same digestion issues as bulkier food.

That being said, I regularly eat within 30 minutes of going for a workout (lifting and/or cardio). It doesn't really cause me any issues.

As to burning muscle, there are a large number of factors that will come into play, including the level of your heart rate, how much glycogen you have in your muscles and liver, etc. It is certainly possible for it to happen, but if you keep your heart rate out of the anaerobic zone it's unlikely to be significant.

Here's some science (blasphemous here, I know :)):
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/48/4/624.abstract
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said. Google "Intermittent Fasting" and/or "Leangains" - there are plenty of people who train fasted and are getting good results. I'm not into it myself (for reasons of personal preference/dietary adherence), but there's no denying that it works for some people. There's nothing magic about it, but their muscles certainly aren't falling off their bodies any more than somebody who trains in a fed state, and vice-versa.

Eat/train according to your personal comfort level. I don't like lifting on an empty stomach, so I have a snack of some kind an hour or so before my workout.

I've been doing IF with fasted training, but even those protocols call for 10 g BCAA just prior to your workout to prevent excess catabolism. I think it comes down to how many hours it's been since your last meal. 4-5 hours no big deal, 18 hours might need some BCAA.

But seconded on looking up leangains. Those people are not exactly losing muscle mass from their workouts on an empty stomach.