ggrrrrrrrr

Options
i have not lost a single pound this week since I started the 30 day shred......this is VERY frustrating since i've been losing 2lbs a week :sad:

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    hang in there! Your body could be making muscles!! I know a lot of people who have done the thread notice a lot of lost inches, are you taking your measurements?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Its possible that you are retaining more water as muscles tend to hold water when being pushed hard for the first little while. Once they are used to the workouts that weight should drop plus whatever fat you may have lost within that time period as well. Keep up the good work and remember with a program like this you will need to eat at least some of your exercise calories to stay energized.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    hang in there! Your body could be making muscles!! I know a lot of people who have done the thread notice a lot of lost inches, are you taking your measurements?

i'm trying but i don't think i am reading the tape right.....for example, i don't know if when i'm reading the tape if it's at 50 something or 51 something....does that make sense? lol
  • geri09
    Options
    What's the "thread"?

Geri
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    This same thing happened to me when I started the Shred (I actually gained a little weight). I increased my calories by 140, lowered my carbs and increased my protein. After that, I began to see a drop on the scale again and my measurements decreasing. Don't let it get you down. Just keep up with the program and you are sure to see results that will bring a smile to your face.
  • ErinWhi
    ErinWhi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ugh, neither have I and it is so disappointing. I went over calories one day but not by much at all and I have been stuck at this 3lb up and down for months :( guess I really have to kick it up a notch.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Its normal not to see a loss upon starting a new workout don't panic...one week start is great! but. you have to give your body time to respond, it's not going to melt over night because you started one week of a new routine, keep at it eat properly and give your muscles time to recover and you will see a loss

and like eric said your muscles are likely retaining water as its all new to you -- i have gained weight this week since I really upped my workout from a lil cardio to becoming a fitness junkie lol
    I

patience :)
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    Its normal not to see a loss upon starting a new workout don't panic...one week start is great! but. you have to give your body time to respond, it's not going to melt over night because you started one week of a new routine, keep at it eat properly and give your muscles time to recover and you will see a loss

and like eric said your muscles are likely retaining water as its all new to you -- i have gained weight this week since I really upped my workout from a lil cardio to becoming a fitness junkie lol
    I

patience :)

i guess it's just hard to accept when i've been losing 2lbs a week for the last 2 months because i was walking everyday...now that i'm not walking everyday, the weight has stopped coming off...ugh....it's just frustrating lol
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    i've actually gained .4lbs :(
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably not holding water...your muscles that you haven't probably used in a while are secreting lactic acid. This will show weight gain (it's temporary). It takes a while for the body to 'gain' muscle, and even then you never actually truly gain muscle it's just that your muscle is increasing in size.
  • TexasBuckeye
    Options
    You all are making me feel better.....I just started Zumba this week. When I weighed this morning I gained 1.5lbs. Very frustrating!!!! Reading all of this, I'm not as discouraged. Thanks! And thank you canada for starting it all off.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Have somebody else measure you. And be very careful and very consistent about it. Don't worry too much about the waist, lots of variability there, (is this the same spot you measured last time? I'm not sucking in,,, well, Ok, maybe a little. etc.etc.). If you measure the waist in a different spot you can get really heartbroken about it.

Measure thighs and butt,,, (ever notice that you can't 'suck in' your butt? :huh: ). Measure 3 times in 3 different spots and record the biggest-fattest number you can find. Then get on the mat and work your butt off for a good week, watch your calories etc.etc, and then measure again. I think you'll get good news, whether the scale says so or not.

Also - are you getting stronger and more fit? Can you do more now that you could when you started? That's important too,,, really just as good for you health as losing a little bodyfat. Do you check your blood pressure and pulse on the machine thingie at the store? You should see those get better too.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably not holding water...your muscles that you haven't probably used in a while are secreting lactic acid. This will show weight gain (it's temporary). It takes a while for the body to 'gain' muscle, and even then you never actually truly gain muscle it's just that your muscle is increasing in size.
    I disagree. She can definitely be retaining water. The reasoning is below (courtesy lt_mrcook in a separate post):

"Intense weight training you're not used to = microscopic muscle tears=body rushes fluid to the damage site (think bruise or twisted ankle)=body retains fluid to protect the damaged area=weight gain"

Once your body gets used to the workout and your muscles rebuild they'll stop retaining as much water and you'll not only see the drop in water from less water retention but also from whatever fat you mananged to burn while building muscles. You won't see it now, but give it a second, maybe third week (don't stop!!) and you'll definitely see it. In the interim, you'll see it by losing inches.

Case in point: I had a week where I plateaued because I changed my workout routine. I didn't lose any weight, but I lost an inch around my waist and hips. The very next week I lost another inch AND 3 lbs!

EDIT: Totally agree with casperO - I measure at least twice at both my hips (at my hip bones) and my waist (at my belly button). Should've also thought to do thighs, but I guess it's not to late to start!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I hope Banks or Tam or Songbird checks in on this thread. I love the members that have been on here for a few years and know what they're talking about. Hopefully they might chime in.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Your body absolutely can retain water which it likely is from the change in workout. I'm giong to guess this is much more intense of a workout than you did before. As far as muscle, there's no way you gained pounds of muscle in a week unless you're on some really good HGH or steroid, which I'm guessing you're not. :laugh: It's cool. You will see your number go back down, just remember you're burning some fat and that's the important part in the end, not the number on the scale.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    Your body absolutely can retain water which it likely is from the change in workout. I'm giong to guess this is much more intense of a workout than you did before. As far as muscle, there's no way you gained pounds of muscle in a week unless you're on some really good HGH or steroid, which I'm guessing you're not. :laugh: It's cool. You will see your number go back down, just remember you're burning some fat and that's the important part in the end, not the number on the scale.

oooooooooooo yes, VERY intense...i have never committed to doing this type of work out, and kept at it...all i've been doing the last 2 months is walking 35 mins every day.....i am try to do the c25k too but due to the weather this week, i haven't been able to get out....maybe once i get out and starting walking/running/jogging again, i will see a drop in the lbs
  • barkyardwishes
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight since the last time I posted my weight, but I started eating the right amount of fat and I actually wore a t- shirt to work lol. These guys pretty much wrote what I would say, your body ebbs and flows like the tide, some weeks it's going to let you loose calories, some days it will keep it all depending on what you're doing, how your feeling etc. It's a change for your body, all the positive stuff that my body has been doing and going through it the past six months is still wrapped up obsticles, it's not happy that things are good and bad habits need to change. keep going. it's worth it.:tongue:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
  • hollyheckman
    Options
    I don't know if you are retaining water or whatever, but I finished the thread 2 weeks ago and lost 12 pounds total. The first 2 weeks I did not loose, but it started to show as I got into the third week. Also, more important that my weight loss was my "waist" loss. I can actually see definition in my abs now :) Hang in there and be strong. You will get good results eventually!