Ideas for a 1000 calorie burn?

Options
I am keen to find out how I can max my exercise by burning the most calories possible? Would you guys have any suggestions, especially non-gym related. Would love to have DVD recommendations! Thanks.

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hm my really high burns are either from Squash or indoor climbing. Long runs do nicely too!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    DVD's probably won't give you that high of a burn. Maybe Insanity since that's really cardio intensive but I can't speak to DVD's

Running is the best way to burn a high amount of calories. It's also free. Go outside and an hour of running will go by in no time, you normally burn about 100 calories per mile so you will probably burn 1000 calories in about a little over an hour depending on your fitness level/pace and weight
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Can you give an estimate of your weight?
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 187.5 right now and have never run! I run out of breath after 10-15 seconds. Knees also are not in great shape?!
    I was thinking Zumba could do a high calorie burn?
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    Running can give a lot of calories per mile, but isn't necessarily the most efficient way to burn calories, unless you can maintain a high level for a long time, and with the impact, many people can't do it.

I've found that cycling allows for higher oxygen consumption and therefor more caloric burn per hour for most people without the high impact damage that running at a similar effort level can do.

While I think running is an excellent exercise, it should be done slowly most of the time or you're asking for injury, where you can go longer, harder, more often on a bike for MUCH better bang for your buck.

FYI the most calories I've ever burned in an hour running was about 700, but on a bike, I've done about 1300. This is using the most accurate estimates available to me.

Good luck.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Swimming, maybe? or HIIT
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you weighed 200 lbs, a 4mph walk at 10% incline would burn gross 1044 calories. Net would be less of course when you remove what your body was going to burn during that hour without any exercise.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

If you weigh less, just increase incline.

If walking up a cliff starts your achilles humming, decrease incline and increase speed up to 6.3 mph for great accuracy of calorie burn still.

But 60 min of that might be torture on the knees at that pace.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Running can give a lot of calories per mile, but isn't necessarily the most efficient way to burn calories, unless you can maintain a high level for a long time, and with the impact, many people can't do it.

I've found that cycling allows for higher oxygen consumption and therefor more caloric burn per hour for most people without the high impact damage that running at a similar effort level can do.

While I think running is an excellent exercise, it should be done slowly most of the time or you're asking for injury, where you can go longer, harder, more often on a bike for MUCH better bang for your buck.

FYI the most calories I've ever burned in an hour running was about 700, but on a bike, I've done about 1300. This is using the most accurate estimates available to me.

Good luck.

And, you could easily have done the bike the next day.

But probably pounding the body into the pavement wasn't going to allow that to happen the next day.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    If you haven't, my suggestion would be to find your target heart rate and heart rate zones. If you're wanting to maximize your exercises it's not going to be as simple as just burning the most calories. BUT if your set on just burning calories then crank up the intensity of what ever you do!! For me it was cycling but you can also try running.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am keen to find out how I can max my exercise by burning the most calories possible? Would you guys have any suggestions, especially non-gym related. Would love to have DVD recommendations! Thanks.

I burn 1100 calories when I am on Precor 245 Elliptical 25 incline / 25 resistance for 60 minutes. In addition I take 2 20LB dumbbells and do some biceps and triceps. I am 50 and I have to maintain HR at 139, so sometimes it is a challenge. But today I am in pretty good shape and able to do it pretty easily. Hope this helps
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Crossfit. I take a class very similar to it but not called by the trademarked name and according to my hrm I burn over 1000 calories doing it for an hour. But I am significantly heavier than you so at 271 I burn more calories. I also burn a lot running. Yesterday I ran 4 miles and walked 1 and burned almost 1000.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I burn about 200-500 calories doing insanity--but it's hard on my body! I always feel like i'm going to hurt something so I can't do 1000 calorie burns with it.

Running or spinning. Spinning will get you there without achy joints
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    A 2 hour hike.

In the summer I would go on day hikes and burn well over 2500 calories, it was a good way of catching up with some 'over intake' days in the week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    get a rope and start jumping.

but more importantly, why are you looking to burn such a high amount of calories? and why did you pick the number 1000? because it's big and round? getting in shape doesn't have anything to do with high calorie burns
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I burn 300 calories simply by eating 300 calories less per day which takes absolutely no time at all. Exercise is not needed for fat loss and should actually be kept to a minimum since predicting accurate energy expenditure is quite difficult with large room for miscalculations. Let the deduction of calories make the most of your deficit, not exercise. You should structure exercise so that it closely resembles the level of activity you plan on doing during maintenance since it will make the transition a lot easier.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I burn 300 calories simply by eating 300 calories less per day which takes absolutely no time at all. Exercise is not needed for fat loss and should actually be kept to a minimum since predicting accurate energy expenditure is quite difficult with large room for miscalculations. Let the deduction of calories make the most of your deficit, not exercise. You should structure exercise so that it closely resembles the level of activity you plan on doing during maintenance since it will make the transition a lot easier.

:ohwell:

I mean, keeping exercise to a minimum? Really?
    I agree that there is large room for miscalculations, however.
    I think, however, that you should exercise based off of the things you enjoy and your exercise goals, not necessarily by how many calories you'll burn doing them.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    High calorie burns are not always practical. In my case, I get a reasonably good burn on a high incline treadmill set at about 4.0 to 4.5 mph. X 60 minues. Realize that more is not always better and just because a machine tells you that you are burning at a certain rate does not necessarily mean that you are --- Heart rate monitor is the best way to determine actual caloric burn. Best wishes on your journey. Exercise in excess of 60 minutes does not usually increase your actual burn by as much as you would think according to many sources.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

I have done many workouts close to 1000 cal, although not recently. It's easier to do if you are 200 or more.

Well, unless you'll be chopping wood on a regular basis, you'll need a 2 hour workout with most of the activities.
    you could also take a spinning class or get a spin bike for home.

As far as dvd suggestions. I suggest Cathe Friedrich's low impact series, just came out, I think last year.
    They are low impact, but still very intense.
    this is a list of clips from her workouts that are low impact.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cathe+low+impact+series&oq=cathe+low+impact+&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.0.0.22133109.22145565.0.22148627.49.21.3.6.6.9.109.1486.18j2.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.3ehq37WoEBU

Punching Bag (boxing)
    509 calories in 60 min
    Ice Skating - general
    594 calories in 60 min
    Dancing - Irish step
    382 calories in 60 min
    Dancing - mambo
    254 calories in 60 min
    Cleaning - heavy (e.g., washing windows)
    254 calories in 60 min
    Chopping Wood - occupation, fast
    1,442 calories in 60 min
    Calisthenics - vigorous
    679 calories in 60 min
    Baling Hay
    679 calories in 60 min
    Badminton - competitive
    594 calories in 60 min
    Bicycling - stationary, very vigorous
    1,060 calories in 60 min
    Bicycling - stationary, vigorous
    891 calories in 60 min
    Walking - uphill at 3.5 mph
    509 calories in 60 min
    Walking - up stairs
    679 calories in 60 min
    Skiing - cross-country, 4-4.9 mph (moderate)
    679 calories in 60 min
    Swimming - freestyle, moderate
    594 calories in 60 min
    Walking - 3.5 mph
    322 calories in 60 min
    Jumping Rope - moderate
    424 calories in 30 min
    Jumping Jacks - vigorous
    339 calories in 30 min
    Boxing - kick boxing
    424 calories in 30 min
    Boxing - kick boxing
    848 calories in 1 hr
    Running - 5 mph
    679 calories in 1 hr

had to throw in baling hay, lol.
    love that website.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

:ohwell:

I mean, keeping exercise to a minimum? Really?
    I agree that there is large room for miscalculations, however.
    I think, however, that you should exercise based off of the things you enjoy and your exercise goals, not necessarily by how many calories you'll burn doing them.
    Of course people should exercise according to their goals and preferences. What I meant by that is the energy deficit itself for the purpose of fat loss should be mostly established by eating less, not by doing lots of "added" exercise specifically to create a deficit. There is a certain cutoff in exercise energy expenditure where it basically serves no advantage in fat loss. Thus, these massive energy burns are overkill.

Here is a study which demonstrates that more doesn't necessarily equate to better fat loss..

Body fat loss and compensatory mechanisms in response to different doses of aerobic exercise - a randomized controlled trial in overweight sedentary males

Abstract

The amount of weight loss induced by exercise is often disappointing. A diet-induced negative energy balance triggers compensatory mechanisms, e.g. lower metabolic rate and increased appetite. However, knowledge about potential compensatory mechanisms triggered by increased aerobic exercise is limited. A randomized controlled trial was performed in healthy sedentary moderately overweight young men to examine the effects of increasing doses of aerobic exercise on body composition, accumulated energy balance, and the degree of compensation. Eighteen participants were randomized to a continuous sedentary control group, 21 to a moderate (MOD; 300 kcal/day) and 22 to a high dose (HIGH; 600 kcal/day) exercise group for 13 weeks, corresponding to approximately 30 and 60 minutes of daily aerobic exercise, respectively. Body weight (MOD: -3.6kg, P<0.001; HIGH: -2.7kg, P=0.01) and fat mass (MOD: -4.0kg, P<0.001 and HIGH: -3.8kg, P<0.001) decreased similarly in both exercise groups. Although the exercise-induced energy expenditure in HIGH was twice that of MOD the resulting accumulated energy balance, calculated from changes in body composition, was not different (MOD: -39.6Mcal, HIGH: -34.3Mcal, NS). Energy balance was 83% more negative than expected in MOD, while it was 20% less negative than expected in HIGH. No statistically significant changes were found in energy intake or non-exercise physical activity that could explain the different compensatory responses associated with 30 vs. 60 min of daily aerobic exercise. In conclusion a similar body fat loss was obtained regardless of exercise dose. A moderate dose of exercise induced a markedly greater than expected negative energy balance, while a higher dose induced a small but quantifiable degree of compensation.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/early/2012/07/30/ajpregu.00141.2012.abstract
  • katy_trail
    Options
    'High calorie burns are not always practical.'

That's so true. Not too many of us will be chopping wood very often, or ever. and in my case,
    I don't feel safe doing it with an ax.
    nor is it reasonable to expect that I can punch a punching bag for an hour.

Also, having muscle burns more cal than any workout, but I'm sure you knew that given your past weight loss success.
    Good luch to you, and here's hoping we can both keep it off the second time around :)