• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb 'dont eat what doesn't rot'
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Decision-making:

Chocolate Chip Clif Bar energy bar ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Vitamin E [Antioxidant]), Chocolate Chips (Dried Cane Syrup, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract), Organic Cane Syrup, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Psyllium), Organic Date Paste, Organic Soy Butter (Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soybean Oil, Salt), Organic Sunflower Oil, Molasses Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon.

LARABAR Cherry Pie energy bar ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Cherries.

But the syrup is made from brown rice!!! And the Clif bar has added fibre!!! Wow the word soy appears a lot of times.
  • phock
    phock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should watch Food, Inc. :)

Rule of thumb - shop the perimeter of the grocery. Everything else in the middle (minus coffee - love my coffee) is usually higher processed.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a box or a can - it's processed - not clean.

My raisens come in a box... so does my steel cut oats...:grumble:
    Guess I'm gonna go hungry...
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Almonds and cashews are processed if they weren't you would die eating them
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you should not used biased documentaries to dictate your food choices. In more detail: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Decision-making:

Chocolate Chip Clif Bar energy bar ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Vitamin E [Antioxidant]), Chocolate Chips (Dried Cane Syrup, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract), Organic Cane Syrup, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Psyllium), Organic Date Paste, Organic Soy Butter (Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soybean Oil, Salt), Organic Sunflower Oil, Molasses Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon.

LARABAR Cherry Pie energy bar ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Cherries.

But the syrup is made from brown rice!!! And the Clif bar has added fibre!!! Wow the word soy appears a lot of times.
    The Cliff bar also tastes better.

Imagine that.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb - shop the perimeter of the grocery. Everything else in the middle (minus coffee - love my coffee) is usually higher processed.

My local grocery store just moved the bulk candy food section to the outside edge of the store, right next to the vegetables:tongue:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Fresh spinach contains chemical compounds that you're never heard of
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I normally use the last of my bread to "sop" up all the gravy and other goodness left on my plate until it looks clean. Also, I go by the 5 second rule and brush and blow off anything that I can see. Other than that...I don't really have any restrictions on the food I eat. If it tastes good, I eat it.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I buy in bulk, and cook them my self and just store them in small containers... for the week,

mainly chicken and veggies though :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    And, before everyone jumps on me, I'm aware of spices and all that. It's still bland compared to the artificial taste of processed foods.

Not jumping on you, but you should have my hubby cook for you! Oh Em GEEE!!!!!

We eat 90% clean as well. We both love to cook and I prefer cooking with minimal processed ingredients. I feel so much better when we eat homecooked meals that aren't from a box. I'm going to start making my own rice flour too!
  • Try cooking yourself and buying natural products. Even some vegetables are fake like those small packet carrots
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat Clean, Train Mean, Live Lean. I agree, truly eating clean is really tough! I do my best but it seems almost impossible.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    While I am all for health and fitness - my meals at home are usually cooked from scratch and relatively clean and macro balanced I am still of the opinion that life is too short to skip out on the social/happiness factor you get from eating out with friends, sharing cake etc. at family celebrations and having the occasional tipple. In my opinion health is intrinsically tied up with happiness, and for me that doesn't come from depriving/restricting myself too much. It's all about balance.

This ^

But ultimately it's your own choice. In my opinion, just cook your meals from scratch and make sure it fits in your calories and macro's and all that. Read ingredients, and don't buy the obviously bad things. I once heard that if you want to eat clean, avoid all the center aisles in the groccery store. Meats, Dairy, Produce, Breads. I only go in the other aisles for my oatmeal, my coffee, and some agave or sugar. Oh, or if I'm baking stuff for people. But I don't say I'm a "clean" eater, just a normal human eating food and cooking things from scratch because they just simply taste better than some pre-packaged dinner.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try cooking yourself and buying natural products. Even some vegetables are fake like those small packet carrots

Baby carrots are synthetic? :huh:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Decision-making:

Yes and the lara bars are better anyways!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

The Cliff bar also tastes better.

Imagine that.

I'm struggling to, suspect they would both be way too sweet for my taste. But the second one contains ingredients I actually like the taste/ texture of, soy crisps and most chocolate chips are rank.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to, suspect they would both be way too sweet for my taste. But the second one contains ingredients I actually like the taste/ texture of, soy crisps and most chocolate chips are rank.

The "Cherry Pie" is not too sweet at all, since the ingredients are unsweetened. It does taste like fruit, but not like high-fructose corn syrup . . . just like, actual dates and cherries. Try to find one, I think you'll like it.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I wash the animals before I makes steaks/bacon/nuggets outta them ;)