Gluten Free Fiber??? Anyone Have Suggestions?

Options
I'm pretty sure I need to add more fiber to my diet- but I need to eat gluten free (I'm gluten free for medical reasons, not for any fad diet thing).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that fruits and veggies have fiber, but anything else?

Replies

• the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    this is something you might have to look up on google or somewhere. I hope you find answers!! Hopefully there is some people on here with the same condition as you that need to go gluten free! (i know a couple that their bodies can't take gluten anymore, unfortunately they don't have MFP!) Good Luck!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Like what MrsRobin said, I'd google it to get a list of foods.

I believe quinoa is gluten-free, you might want to give that a try.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    A lot of stores have like gluten free sections or aisles. Scout em out?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    legumes are all gluten free and loaded with protein, fiber, super filling.
    may be a problem if you are limiting carbs, but not all of them are super carby.
    edamame is also awesome unless you are also avoiding soy.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    flaxseed, nuts , beans, prunes, spinach, brown rice
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    flaxseed, nuts , beans, prunes, spinach, brown rice

^^^ What this person said! :)

If it makes you fart, it's pretty much has fibre in it! LOL
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    quinoa, brown and wld rice, fruits and veggies
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, cocoa powder, coconut flour, brown rice, quinoa, millet, all whole fruits and vegetables. Any whole plant food except wheat, rye and barley basically.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    I use this website below, I have Celiacs so this really gives me a variety other than what the grocery store can offer. You might even find something exiting to eat that youve may not have access to. I know where I live, my choices are so limited I get excited to see a new food or supplement added to my diet. Hope that helps :)
    http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my other half has celiac, so I eat mainly gluten free as well and find it hard to get fibre into my diet... all of the GF replacement foods like breads/waffles/etc. are made with healthy ingredients like buckwheat and chia seeds, but seem to be very low in fibre.

you could just do something as simple as taking a fibre supplement like Metamucil, which I do on some days
    fruits (apples, oranges, bananas) and nuts are decent sources of fibre
    can you eat corn? (I know some celiacs cannot) .. that is an okay source also.

it'll most likely be a combination of all the little things you eat during the day that make up your fibre count, so choose wisely!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    my hubby is GF (actually allergic to wheat, not gluten, but the result is essentially the same). He also can't do legumes (IBS) or dairy (another allergy) - the poor guy can't get a break. Luckily, I like a challenge in the kitchen and have fun helping him (he's not so enthusiastic a cook, mostly because food simply always hurt).

Pumpkin, butternut squash, any squash really. Very good roasted, in soups, etc. Recently I learned to use cauliflower as a substitute for couscous and rice, very pleased with that (I normally hate cauliflower, so this is a huge win). Veggies in general will go a long way towards filling the GF gap with added fiber and nutrients.

The trick is NOT to try to simply eat the same as "everybody else" but with substitutes - GF bread, GF pizza, GF cereal. What you really want to do instead is just eat a diet of stuff that is NORMALLY gf. So don't have a GF sandwich, have a stir fry. Don't eat GF pizza, eat chicken and veggies. Don't eat GF chicken noodle soup, have chili (watch store bought or canned, they're thickened with gluten a lot). If you try to substitute instead of changing your diet, you'll 1) have nutritional deficit issues (which is a problem even in a gluten-filled "Standard" diet) and 2) spend your meals missing "real" versions of the not-quite-right-textured food on your plate.

We also recently started an emeals subscription to their "paleo" meal planning thing, every week we get an email with 7 recipes and a shopping list. Paleo is the closest to his wheat-free, legume-free, dairy-free diet, so it works. He's never eaten so many veggies in his life, and we're both noticing a huge difference in our fridge. You might give it a whirl for some ideas, there's a groupon for a huge discount right now.
  • eperrecs
    Options
    A smaller does of fiber, but still gluten free snack, is Mediterranean Baked Lentil chips. Crunchy, tasty & good with hummus. If you can't find them at your local store, amazon has them.
    Mediterranean brand also makes crackers with a similar recipe.
    3g per serving isn't bad for a yummy snack food
  • themom1951
    Options
    Hello Gluten friend. I purchase gluten free protein and pea products from Swanson. I blend fruit and the powders for my breakfast. I had a serious bowl blockage problem, that's how "I" discovered my Celiac disease. Dr.s said I was crazy because they could not find the problem. If you are looking to purchase food items I buy at Giant Eagles and Marcs. Lately I found gluten free broth at the Dollar Tree, a bargain store near me. I keep journals of what I eat, where to shop and good websites I find. There are many free sites with ideas, recipes etc. Would be HAPPY to talk with others who SUFFER with this awful disease. Sherry
  • themom1951
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I love celiac.com as well. I am fortunate my big sister helps me and is my cheer leader. Recent divorce after 41 years set me back for awhile, now I'm back on track. Have a blessed day. THEMOM
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    my hubby is GF (actually allergic to wheat, not gluten, but the result is essentially the same). He also can't do legumes (IBS) or dairy (another allergy) - the poor guy can't get a break. Luckily, I like a challenge in the kitchen and have fun helping him (he's not so enthusiastic a cook, mostly because food simply always hurt).

Pumpkin, butternut squash, any squash really. Very good roasted, in soups, etc. Recently I learned to use cauliflower as a substitute for couscous and rice, very pleased with that (I normally hate cauliflower, so this is a huge win). Veggies in general will go a long way towards filling the GF gap with added fiber and nutrients.

The trick is NOT to try to simply eat the same as "everybody else" but with substitutes - GF bread, GF pizza, GF cereal. What you really want to do instead is just eat a diet of stuff that is NORMALLY gf. So don't have a GF sandwich, have a stir fry. Don't eat GF pizza, eat chicken and veggies. Don't eat GF chicken noodle soup, have chili (watch store bought or canned, they're thickened with gluten a lot). If you try to substitute instead of changing your diet, you'll 1) have nutritional deficit issues (which is a problem even in a gluten-filled "Standard" diet) and 2) spend your meals missing "real" versions of the not-quite-right-textured food on your plate.

We also recently started an emeals subscription to their "paleo" meal planning thing, every week we get an email with 7 recipes and a shopping list. Paleo is the closest to his wheat-free, legume-free, dairy-free diet, so it works. He's never eaten so many veggies in his life, and we're both noticing a huge difference in our fridge. You might give it a whirl for some ideas, there's a groupon for a huge discount right now.

^^^^ THIS!!! The vast majority GF breads and pizza crusts and crackers etc, may be free of gluten but they're also devoid of anything nutritious! If you choose to eat them do so as a special occasion treat and not as part of your regular diet!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Good advice.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    vegetables.
  • Little_Mrs_Scary
    Options
    Flaxseeds/chia seeds, but you need to drink a ****ton of water
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    BEANS!!! Get chickpeas and make hummus, put lentils in every soup you make, etc... Black beans are fantastic! Just don't buy canned b/c there are no safe bets out there for what they put in cans. Buy the bagged fresh ones and soak, boil and spend as much time as it takes. Healthy colon from the fiber and no issues from gluten is well worth it :)

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/b/2010/06/05/healthy-gluten-free-beans.htm
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats. I eat them every morning. They have a ton of fiber. I also add a tablespoon of almond butter and I cook them with unsweetened (Silk brand) vanilla almond milk. It keeps me full for hours. I am also gluten free.