Ive found a Low Calorie and Low Carb Rice alternative!! Yey!

Options
Hi all,

Forgive me if you already know about this one, but as a lover of chillis and curries rice can be a big pain on a low calorie and low carb diet, however I found an alternative on another forum last night, I was sceptical but tried it last night with chilli and it was actually great!!

The secret is cauliflower!! Yes I said cauliflower.....

Simply grate the cauliflower florets finely so that it kind of looks like rice, place it into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 4-5 minutes and hey presto pretend rice!!!!

Replies

• mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ye I use this,

You can even add pillau flavoring to it.

Very good tip.
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    Really? Nice one, ill give it a try. Thanks for the tip
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is also a great mashed potato alternative! I make something called Caulipots. 1/2 head of cauliflower and maybe 2 russet potatoes. Boil both, then mash. TBH it doesn't seem to need butter IMO like potatoes do.

I will have to try the rice idea, great share man. Thanks! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YEP! I LOVE IT!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ye me too im a cauliflower rice lover and cauliflower mash lover and cauliflower pizza lover lol its basically my carb :)
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    I saw purple, yellow, and green cauliflower yesterday at the market. If you had kids it would be an awesome/fun idea!

Or even if you didnt have kids lol
  • mbow1977
    Options
    My favorite kind of rice is............Rice. White, Brown, Yellow, Purple, Blue, it doesn't matter.

If I wanted cauliflower I would eat Cauliflower. This is almost as bad as substituting pizza dough with cauliflower. *sigh*

And the point in your post was, I was simply trying to help others

I love rice too but on my diet it has way too many carbs and calories so if there is an alternative that doesnt taste too disimilar then Ill eat it, you dont have to?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Forgive me if you already know about this one, but as a lover of chillis and curries rice can be a big pain on a low calorie and low carb diet, however I found an alternative on another forum last night, I was sceptical but tried it last night with chilli and it was actually great!!

Simply grate the cauliflower florets finely so that it kind of looks like rice, place it into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 4-5 minutes and hey presto pretend rice!!!!

Yes, cauliflower is very versatile...............makes a good pizza crust, rice substitution (husband prefers this when I make stuffed peppers) and mash it for mashed potato substitute.
  • mbow1977
    Options
    Hi all,

Yes, cauliflower is very versatile...............makes a good pizza crust, rice substitution (husband prefers this when I make stuffed peppers) and mash it for mashed potato substitute.

So how do you make a pizza base with cauliflower and does it taste ok?
  • Angie1366
    Options
    I used to used shredded white cabbage as a pasta substitute!

I suppose it is partially fooling your eyes into thinking you are eating the naughty stuff as at the end of the day they say you eat with your eyes...

err....

Lets hope the belly is convinced too!!!!

Hahah
  • tangobelle
    tangobelle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nice tip - thanks! Definitely going to give this a try :happy:
  • Shatacia
    Options
    I've made a Shepherd's pie with cauliflower and added 2 small potatoes and it was pretty good. Thanks for the tip about the cauliflower rice, I will try that next.
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OMG I AM ABSORBING INFORMATION!!

I read the title and thought "oo I think I would use cauliflower..."

lmao you lot are rubbing off on me
  • newdawnwellbeing
    newdawnwellbeing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here. Just wanted to add my own tip for pasta substitute which is courgette ribbons. Use potato peeler to get easy thin ribbons and steam for just few mins and hey presto :)
  • mbow1977
    Options
    OMG I AM ABSORBING INFORMATION!!

I read the title and thought "oo I think I would use cauliflower..."

lmao you lot are rubbing off on me

lol give it a whirl
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love courgette ribbons. I use them as a base for salad. tasty. I prefer courgette raw to cooked now.
  • Cowgirl_Jody
    Cowgirl_Jody Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've never tried, sounds good Thanks for the info
  • Top_Hat_82
    Top_Hat_82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Another great substitute is Quinoa. Really good for you and a similar texture to cous cous.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/whatisquinoa.htm