cereal bars

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for cereal bars which are handy for breakfasts ect without being full of sugar/feel like you've eaten nothing?

thank you :)

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I really doubt you'll find a cereal bar that's healthy for you or fills you or lacks on sugar. Heres why : Cereal bars ( such as special K or Weight Watchers) are full of High fructose corn syrup. In my opinion, this is a synonym for poison! :P

Secondly, the bars lack any healthy fats and probably lack protein. Therefore, you won't feel full.

Never fear, though! Try this recipe http://freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.ca/2011/03/clean-eating-healthy-homemade-granola.html

Super healthy, super yummy, and much more filling.

Also, try making fritattas the night before and placing them in the fridge. These are SO easy to grab and go if you like eggs. (the protein and fat in them will keep ya full!)

Also try oatmeal, because it's ready in less than 3 mins. Just don't buy the packets. You could probably try oatmeal "cookies" by just making drops of oatmeal on a cookie sheet with some fruit in them or something. (i've never tried this, but It might work. I just randomly thought of it)

I read about these 2 ingredient banana cookies that could be made into bars and eaten as such. Give it a search on the forums if you're curious about them :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    gonna be hard to find one not loaded with sugar.... I think I compared before, and Kashi made the lowest sugar content one, that was a while ago, I don't eat them anymore, some of them are just as bad as a candy bar :ohwell:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yeah, i am not really for them period..
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Make your own!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-granola-bars/detail.aspx

I make a batch of these about once ever 2 weeks, you can put whatever goodies you like in them, there is a lot of sugar in the sweetened condensed milk, but you can make your own with splenda if you like

http://www.food.com/recipe/sweetened-condensed-milk-sugar-free-substitute-323456

much better than store bought, I have to bake them a bit longer than the recipe usually, you have to make them a few times to get the technique down, otherwise they fall apart but they make great cereal if that happens :-)
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As everyone else says, cereal bars are pretty junky in terms of sugar content.

I buy something called 9Bar Seed bars (Available in the UK) - they have sugars of course to keep the seeds together and some of them have a carob topping but to be honest, they really feel me up and give me the energy I need on the go.

I don;t rely on them though, I would have them maybe once or twice a week.

Another brand is Naked bars (UK) they are raw food so usually made up of dates and nuts with nothing else added. Very good nutrition wise and maybe worth checking out?
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    They have 19 grams of sugar, but I like Larabars. They have a good taste, and they are gluten free.

LÄRABAR® is a delicious blend of unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices. Made from whole food, each flavor contains no more than nine ingredients. Pure and simple, just as nature intended.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for cereal bars which are handy for breakfasts ect without being full of sugar/feel like you've eaten nothing?

thank you :)

They really are not healthy for breakfast on a regular basis, they are snack bars not meal replacements and they all contain added sugar AFAIK because grains are tasteless and nuts/ seeds are expensive. You should be eating nine servings of fruits and veggies a day, three servings of reduced fat dairy and so on - this becomes very difficult to achieve if you eat a cereal bar in lieu of a proper breakfast.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I really love Quest bars. No sugar or sugar alcohols and 20 grams of protein. I warm the cinnamon roll one in the microwave for 20 seconds and it's yuuuummm
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Look for protein bars or bars that are meant for a meal substitution as opposed to a cereal bar. They'll have more protein and less sugar. They'll still have some sugar, but not nearly as much as the cereal bars or trail mix bars.

Luna Bars (made by Cliff)
    Zone Perfect protein bars
    SlimFast protein meal bars
    Quest Bars